Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
flaudia402

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Buying a new car from out of state - any advice?

Been looking for a 2018 1SS 1LE for a while and the dealers in my local market are not really willing to budge on price. I’m coming across a few dealers in the south who are offering considerably greater savings. Making it worthwhile for me to consider purchasing and having them ship to me.

My worry is this, I’ve noticed some of you have bought these cars sight unseen. I understand some are forum sponsor dealers with trusted relationships, but I’m still wondering if I should be leery about this. Buying a new car with warranty, less than 10 miles on the odometer and having it shipped, while it sounds safe - should I be concerned about any issues when the car arrives? How many of you did this and came out okay? Does this happen fairly often? Any resolution if the car shows up on a delivery truck and I come to find damage or the car isn’t driving properly? Do I take this up with GM or the dealership I purchased from?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
flaudia402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
rburke76

Drives: garnet red
man, just do your research....check out the reviews on the dealer where you want to buy...check with your local DMV just to be sure what the rules are...I live in Delaware and many people purchase over the state line in Maryland...and there really is no problems that I know of...
rburke76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #3
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
So I bought my car out of state. Los Angeles prices on a loaded 2SS were some $4-5k higher than a couple states out. I was in talks with two dealers on cars on their lots and ready to make a plan.

Dealer A in Texas failed to return my multiple calls and messages in a timely manner. I tried for the sales guy I got in contact with and the sales manager. The salesman seemed a little bothered to be dealing with me any time I did get a hold of him. Dealer B in Washington and my salesman was on the ball every step of the way and very communicative. They gave me a prior history on the vehicle, an accurate description, and even came down on the price $750. He called anytime there was an update on the paperwork or if they needed anything from me. He was doing everything to make me feel safe and confident in buying through them. Flew in late Friday night and was on my way by 10:00 the next day because all of the paperwork had been taken care of beforehand.

Registering it was another pain in the rear though. The dealership hadn't dealt with out-of-state sales so there was an issue with getting the sales tax issued and paid off even though it was included in my financing. Ended up having to deliver the check myself to the local government office. Likewise, they weren't terribly knowledgeable about getting the car registered over here, so again, that was on me. California is a bit harder to deal with that, but I had it squared away pretty quickly once I got the paperwork from the dealership in.

All said and done, the experience was not without its share of issues, but it was worth the savings and getting the exact car I wanted. Find a dealer with good reviews and a salesman willing to put the customer first. Do your research too and make sure you know what you need to get your car registered in your state. California required a smog, VIN verification, and paperwork related to the title as well as tax being paid in the county the vehicle was registered in.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:17 AM   #4
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I got my previous 2lt Camaro out of state, yet not like your issue. I went local and they traded for it. As we start to near the last quarter and that refresh is about to drop it might be a viable option. Just sayin... get it how you can.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Just look the car over very good before taking it. Ask how long it's been on the lot, most leftovers have been a while so it's been outside and machine washed over and over so don't expect perfect. Also ask about if they take out taxes for your state. I got a leftover 17 3 hours away for a great deal, but it has sat a while so paint showed it. Also that state didn't take out taxes so I had to pay it back in my state out of pocket instead of financed. An extra $1500 when you don't expect it is kind of pain.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaudia402 View Post
Been looking for a 2018 1SS 1LE for a while and the dealers in my local market are not really willing to budge on price. I’m coming across a few dealers in the south who are offering considerably greater savings. Making it worthwhile for me to consider purchasing and having them ship to me.

My worry is this, I’ve noticed some of you have bought these cars sight unseen. I understand some are forum sponsor dealers with trusted relationships, but I’m still wondering if I should be leery about this. Buying a new car with warranty, less than 10 miles on the odometer and having it shipped, while it sounds safe - should I be concerned about any issues when the car arrives? How many of you did this and came out okay? Does this happen fairly often? Any resolution if the car shows up on a delivery truck and I come to find damage or the car isn’t driving properly? Do I take this up with GM or the dealership I purchased from?

Contact BeckyD @ James Martin Chevrolet she will take good care of you. I purchased from her I am in Orlando I flew in and drove my Camaro home. By far the easiest car purchase I have ever made.

My review when I picked up my car.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491968
Old 09-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
+1 to "Call Becky", I didn't, as I was trading in my '16 C7, but I live in MA, and traded it in down in DE.

Do your research and know your state laws. In MA, I have 7 days to register / get inspected, so on the sale, it was just a license plate swap and the bill of sale was my "registration" until I could get to the RMV.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
2SS_Shawty

Drives: 18 2SS Camaro GRT
I purchased my Maro out of state (Tennessee) and I reside in Texas. Reason being, my '18 2SS Garnet Red Tintcoat with all of the options I wanted was one of four states remaining with that color scheme that I wanted. I was responsible for the shipping since I didn't want to fly there and drive it back.
2SS_Shawty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaudia402 View Post

My 2 cents: do not ship the car unless you personally know a transport trucker. Auto transport brokers are the worst to do business with. About 3 weeks after the car was supposed to arrive you will get a call saying nobody has taken the job for the amount that it was agreed upon for but for only a thousand dollars more a guy is there right now ready to pick it up. Also, likely cheaper to just get a one way flight and drive back.

As far as buying a car sight unseen... especially a new one... go for it. I have several times (on used cars actually and am working on another right now). I have not had a dealer unwilling to work out a plan. A down payment typically makes them quite agreeable. Even convince them to pick you up at the airport.

TL;DR - Auto transport brokers are shady. Buying a new car sight unseen is no big deal. Drive it back. Road trip in new car is good.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
danbrew

Drives: 18 2SS A8
If you're uncomfortable, jump on a plane and do a road trip on the way home. My story is a little different - I bought a 2SS locally here in Illinois and did not pay sales tax or title/tag fees here as I told the dealer that I was going to register it in another state (South Carolina). While it's pretty common to buy cars in an adjoining state, it wasn't terribly complicated to do it half a country away. I did run into several dealers that couldn't figure it out and I just passed on them.

The dealer that I bought from simply stated they would give me a 30-day tag in Illinois and then I had 30 days to register it in the other state. The 30-day thing may be unique to Illinois; other states may have 7-day, 10-day, etc. The one thing that I did it ask to speak to the finance guy/guy who does the registrations as almost all of the sales reps had no clue.

The place I bought? They told me all along that I wouldn't pay Illinois tax. When I went to get the car they told me I had to pay Illinois tax and that I could get a refund from South Carolina. Yeah, like that was ever gonna happen. I explained the law to him, quoted both Illinois and SC law and told him exactly how much I was required to pay. He went and did some research using the cites that I presented and agreed with me.

So, the deal was done. Then I drove it down to SC and registered it there. What made all this work, btw, is that I have a second home in SC and had an address to which I could register the car. Like a dummy I walk into the DMV down there with my bill of sale and say, "Haaaaay! I'm here to register my car" and they were like, "Great, need to see the title." Ummmm. I didn't have the title. I called the guy at the dealer and he was like, "yeah, we mailed it to your SC address a few weeks ago..." Long story, but the title turned up and then I registered the car in SC and paid the SC tax - about $500 vs. the 10% here in the Chicago area.

So, more than you wanted to know, easy answer - road trip!! Longer answer, if new, ship it. If not new, I'd want to see it before buying.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
outobie

Drives: 2017 2LT RS Convertible
I bought my car out of state new from a dealer
I couldn’t find the color and options I wanted closer... I found two out of state dealers with same car options and negotiated price between them.
I live in MD and bought in Ohio.

I gave a deposit over the phone and flew out to drive car home. It was tones of fun

Dealer had me picked up at airport, car was new and perfect as described.

Filled out paperwork wrote Check and spent 6 wonderful hours driving through the mountains home
outobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
I learned something important recently about buying a car out of state. If you are considering buying a car from CA, but will register it in another state, you have two options: 1) You can have the car transported out of state on a trailer/car hauler, or 2) You can drive it away (have it driven away), and pay all CA DMV fees and sales taxes. Then you get to pay your state's fees and taxes.

I bought my last car from out of state. It was off of a lease. The process went pretty smoothly, but kinda went like this....
Arrive at dealer and get a salesperson. You chat a bit and they ask where you're live. You tell them, and you see a little gleam in the salesperson's eyes. Check out the car, then talk price. The dealership won't budge. They think that you really want the car and will take whatever crappy price the insist on. Then you leave. Maybe they'll call you when you're on the way back home, maybe not. You forget about car and move on with your car shopping experience. Then, one day, the dealership's sales manager will call you back and say, "What price did you want to buy the car for?" You tell them. They say, "Ok. We'll sell it at that price."

At least that's how it went for me that time.

Yesterday I checked out a car out of state. Same process. The price they told me they'd sell it for was like $1000 below MSRP (with rebates/incentives). I walked. We'll see if they call me back.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #13
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I bought my car used out of state from a private party. Wired him the money and had it shipped. MI to WI. I would have flown out and got it, but this was in the height of Covid. I had a Harley shipped to me this year and it was a nightmare New Mexico to WI . Bike showed up damaged. I did have a good experience shipping my car. That being said, I will not have a vehicle or bike shipped again. Fly and ride/drive. I don't mind buying out of state though one bit. Many times you can get a much better deal buying out of state.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #14
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
Do not have shipping experience but I have driven 6 hours across my state to purchase (camaro), 10 hours from VA to NY to purchase (truck), and 4 hours from VA to NC to purchase (truck). I always make the trip a mini vacation so I can enjoy the time spent.

Dealers were fantastic to work with both in email replies and phone contact. Paperwork was completed before I arrived. I signed got keys and left. No BS, no sitting around, no trying to be sold shit I didn't want or need. But I spent time with them in email and on phone to ensure all of this.

Make sure you feel comfortable with dealer when making your inquiries. If you get a feeling something not right move on is my advice.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote