Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspin9 View Post
Someone suggested that the MGP Stealth Covers would look good and I ordered a set of black covers with red lettering. I admit to being a little uninformed when it came to these things and didn't know much about them.

Long story short .... when they came I kind of set one on the front caliper to see how it would look and in about 30 seconds I knew I didn't like it. It does look cheesy, mostly because the thing is so big. I don't think they can be returned but maybe I can get rid of them somehow. Lesson learned.
You will make the world a better place if you just throw them in a can and light them on fire because we don't need them getting into the wrong hands. I'm glad you were able to see the light and your car thanks you.

1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #16
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
With that logic painting your calipers is a ricer mod also
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
1leWorksforMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
With that logic painting your calipers is a ricer mod also
Not exactly and that depends on the application.

Painting a BBK? No problem.

Painting the unsightly stock grey floating caliper? In my opinion they should be painted black (or not painted at all) because not only does it clean up the caliper but it also conceals it in a way. Any other loud colors just brings attention to it. Ford did this with their 13-14 mustangs when they had the BBK only on the front. Not ideal but acceptable at the time.

In regards to the logic part of your statement, in theory it's plausible because someone is going for the BBK look. The distinction however is any enthusiast worth their salt can tell the difference between a stock painted caliper and piece of plastic glued onto a caliper imitating the look of a BBK.

Last edited by 1leWorksforMe; 01-17-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #18
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
The first things I did when I got my Camaro was to paint the mufflers and the brake calipers black, I`m not a big fan of making the brake calipers stand out (red, yellow, ect) but that`s just me, I like the uncluttered look.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
i also agree it's cheesy. i have some cause i didn't like just the silver showing, but when i put them on i immediately didn't like them. the things are huge it looks like it covers half the wheel and you could probably have them painted for the price and have money left over. save your money and buy a throttle controller or something if you don't have one.
Attached Images

2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #20
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leWorksforMe View Post
Not exactly and that depends on the application.

Painting a BBK? No problem.

Painting the unsightly stock grey floating caliper? In my opinion they should be painted black (or not painted at all) because not only does it clean up the caliper but it also conceals it in a way. Any other loud colors just brings attention to it. Ford did this with their 13-14 mustangs when they had the BBK only on the front. Not ideal but acceptable at the time.

In regards to the logic part of your statement, in theory it's plausible because someone is going for the BBK look. The distinction however is any enthusiast worth their salt can tell the difference between a stock painted caliper and piece of plastic glued onto a caliper imitating the look of a BBK.
I agree about the covers, but surely you're not saying the same thing about painting or powdercoating the stock calipers?
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #21
1leWorksforMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I agree about the covers, but surely you're not saying the same thing about painting or powdercoating the stock calipers?
No, I'm not saying the same thing as I was just replying to someones post. My one concern about someone painting the stock floating calipers a bright color is that they are not the most attractive looking design and probably shouldn't be showcased.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #22
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
Zoom in real big on my signature and you should be able to see mine in all their ricer, cheesy, no performance gain, idiot until proven otherwise glory.

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #23
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
There is nothing more important then this to discuss. Frigging REALLY !!!
Caliper covers ???????
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #24
nosmr2

I didn't bring it up. But yes, pretty sure there are bigger fish to fry.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #25
1leWorksforMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
There is nothing more important then this to discuss. Frigging REALLY !!!
Caliper covers ???????
If people are still putting them on then yes, it most definitely is worthy of discussion until everyone single one of them are weeded out.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #26
nosmr2

Apparently $hit just got real up in here.

If there are no objections, I would like to nominate myself to the position of president of the caliper coverers club or CCC as we are known on the street.
I'm not sure what you mean by "weed us out" but your words are not taken lightly. If by weeding us out you just want us to proudly display our caliper covers in assorted posted images or by us wearing our CCC shirts at street meets and shows, we most certainly will. If you have some other methods of "weeding" that we are not aware of we would appreciate a heads up for preparation.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #27
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
PSA: Stop being snobs and telling other people what to do with their cars. If you don't like what someone else has done with their car, just move on to the next post instead of being a keyboard warrior. Go to the YouTube comment section if that's what you aspire to be.

I'm not a fan of caliper covers either, but my v6 calipers look like total crap, so i can understand why people that can't afford a brake system upgrade would want to cover them.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #28
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
I will admit, thought about them in the past cause I really like red brembos. And thought that would be an easy way to make mine red. But couldn't do it cause ya, they just look cheesy, especially up close look. Glad I didn't get them.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote