Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
is this the same cop that waited for u after work for the tinted windows?
HAHA, no. This was clear on the other side of the state in Mason City. I don't have any problems with that Sheriff anymore. He is the only one that drives a durango, easy to spot from a ways off and roll down the windows. There is only 2 cops in this area that will pull you over just for window tint. Everyone else it's just supplimental to a moving violation.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
OP: In Iowa must you disclose carrying a firearm during a traffic stop? If not maybe next time you should keep it out of sight and not mention it unless they plan on searching your vehicle...just food for thought...he was probably just pissed off about the gun...not rightfully so...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #17
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
ahh yes Mason Sh*tty! stay cool maybe see ya later this summer!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #18
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS View Post
OP: In Iowa must you disclose carrying a firearm during a traffic stop? If not maybe next time you should keep it out of sight and not mention it unless they plan on searching your vehicle...just food for thought...he was probably just pissed off about the gun...not rightfully so...

No, we don't have to disclose it. And I never thought about the gun until I saw his eyes staring at it. I did, however, put it in the glove box for the rest of the trip after I reassembled and loaded it.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
No, we don't have to disclose it. And I never thought about the gun until I saw his eyes staring at it. I did, however, put it in the glove box for the rest of the trip after I reassembled and loaded it.
Just being nosey. Does your job require you to carry a gun ? Do you feel that unsafe ?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanddemon View Post
Just being nosey. Does your job require you to carry a gun ? Do you feel that unsafe ?

no it doesn't, and I don't really feel 'unsafe' without a gun. But I certainly feel secure with one. I don't NEED to carry a gun, but that doesn't matter as the law allows me to. I almost always carry my gun. I was pulled over once before, but had it in my holster, and the cop just took it and laid it on the hood of my truck while we talked. When he was done giving me my warning he said I could go ahead and reholster my weapon and be on my way.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
no it doesn't, and I don't really feel 'unsafe' without a gun. But I certainly feel secure with one. I don't NEED to carry a gun, but that doesn't matter as the law allows me to. I almost always carry my gun. I was pulled over once before, but had it in my holster, and the cop just took it and laid it on the hood of my truck while we talked. When he was done giving me my warning he said I could go ahead and reholster my weapon and be on my way.
Like I said I was just curious. I never have really cared one way or another about guns. Although when I was younger I wanted to be a state trooper, but my eyes were too bad.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I think you said it all when you said call the POST COMMANDER... Might be a good route to take since it appears you got a hold of an over zealous post officer.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I always carry mine as well.In Texas it must be concealed at all times,and when you get pulled over,you must show your CHL along with your driver's license.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #24
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
I always carry mine as well.In Texas it must be concealed at all times,and when you get pulled over,you must show your CHL along with your driver's license.

We have the choice for concealed or open carry. I always carry concealed tho. Just very uncomfortable on that long of a drive, and thats the place I usually put stuff. After having that tray I don't want the 4pk anymore. I bought it and decided not to put it in because of the loss of storage space.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post

same here, gotta tell them, show your ID and permit when pulled over. Although in NC, you can carry openly as long as its "not to go armed into public with intent to cause terror"...... basically you can carry openly unless someone complains. In your car (with a CCW), you can do as you please. I'd definatly go after them for violating your rights. You said they put it disassembled in your luggage.... did any grease/oil get on anything of yours? If it did.... you could go after him for damages.... just saying
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #26
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I've had a few cases where after being pulled over and showing my CHL, The officer thanked me and told me to have a nice day.I guess they figure if you've passed all the back round checks required to get one,That you're not a trouble maker.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Ok so heres my LEO reason for your tow......Most likely you did something to irritate the police officer, normally poeple dont carry guns, and normally its not on the floor boards of the car. If you have a license to carry that is fine. Your window tint i take it was illegal in your state. If it is too dark a police officer has every right to deem it unsafe for the road and can tow your car, However this rarely ever happens. BUT....when ever a police officer tows a vehicle, per department policy you have to do an "pre tow Inventory search". this search is common practice in every police department. if anything of major value in a car comes missing, the only other person who had access to the vehicle was the tow yard.

With that being said, you being in possession of a firearm and having window tint gave this officer a suspicion, so what he did was towed your car for being unsafe...which gave him 100% the right to search your car, and ill bet my paycheck on it, that he wasnt doing it for the tow policy, he was looking for more weapons, ammo or drugs.

So in my opionion. the officer did not do anything wrong, and calling to complain to a supervisor would go nowhere but add a large target on your back whenever you are around that town. My other opionion is that yes this officer did use all of the tools in his book to take a minor traffic infraction to something out of its realm, but he was justified. was is morally right as a police officer to do?, yes, was it routine practice? No...

Dont sweat it, remove the tint so this doesnt happen again, dont leave a weapon out in the open for other to see. Leave it in a case or on your person and move on.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 AM   #28
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:
Was driving down the road on my way back from my buddies wedding, when I look in my mirror and see a State Patrolman behind me with his lights on. I proceed to pull off of the road, put my windows down and wait for him with my hands on the steering wheel. He comes up to my window to tell me he pulled me over for speeding and tinted windows, the whole time staring at my pistol which was laying where most people have their 4pk guage cluster (long drive, didn't want to keep it in my holster). He asked me if I had a CCW which I responded yes and then had my gf step out of the car and told me to keep my hands on the wheel. He took my gun out of the car and put it in his pocket, which I didn't think was a big deal. I went back to his car, and he asked me if there were any other weapons or drugs in the car, to which I said no. I got 2 tickets for tinted windows (I figured that was coming, and didn't upset me because I knew the law and chose not to obey it) and a warning for 62 in a 55. What I never saw coming was when asked me if I wanted him to tow my car. I said not especially because I had to get home so I could get to work tonight. I said i'd go to wal-mart, buy a razor and take it off right now. He said he didn't care what i did, he was having my car towed because it's an "unsafe vehicle". He called dispatch and had them send a tow truck.

He then got out of his patrol car, and without ever saying a word to me about it, began to search my car. I'm not 100% sure but don't they either have to have your permission or a Warrant? After searching my car he took my pistol, completely broke it down, took all of the rounds out of the clip, and threw it all in my suitcase. I'm not quite sure why he did that when I was perfectly leagal to have the firearm? No other officer has ever done that before.

So all in all I got 2 tint tickets at 127.50 ea and a towing bill for 150.80. The tow truck driver said the same cop did the same thing to their tow truck a couple weeks earlier because it had tinted windows. Going to call the post commander and inquire why my car was searched, why my car was towed, and why my firearm was broken down and stuffed in my luggage. Who knows, maybe I'll get them to pay for my towing bill.

To top of my wonderful day, I was late for work because of the 2 hour ordeal.

I'm never going to another wedding as long as I live.
To me this is where cops cross the line. Their number one job is safety of the citizens. He calls your car unsafe for tinted windows, fine he could of followed you too the walmart whil your windows are rolled down. Back window can be spraypainted black and be legal so no worry there.

As far as the gun permit and him taking it apart, I would write a letter to internal affairs and also send it to his CO. Also talk with the CO about it before hand, sign your name on a sign in sheet there for proof of being thier. He had no reason under the law to break apart your weapon.

THis guy was being a prick for no regard to safety of the public and proved that by giving you a green flag to drive off after paying a tow. I would write in that letter you believe the cop to have a financial agreement with the towing company. He wants to give you a bunch of shit, give it right back.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
Closed Thread