Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Mine has always pulled at shifts at least 1st and 2nd, but I am not at standard RWHP. I have just learn to manage it.

I should clarify, in PTM5, anything less and it quickly straightens itself up.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
Bigtime53

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Ok I thought I would give you all a update. First I want to say thank you to all of you who jumped in and tried to help me figure out what was going on and that is really great to have a place like this to come to and everyone will try and help get a problem solved on these cars we all love. We found the issue and it is hard to believe but it is what it is. I had the car at a very well respected Camaro guru's shop and he changed the tires and wheels to a set of other camaro wheels and tires and the car hooked and went straight over and over again with no sudden right hand turns to the ditch. So these tires were put on the car when I bought it and they are the pirelli tires in the correct sizes but something is bad wrong with them. The belts in the rear tires must be wadding up or slipping or some crap going on with them. They only have 3k miles on them but they are bad. So that was the problem and I have to say I never would have thought this was causing what the car was doing and we looked at everything a half dozen times before the tires and wheels were pulled off and changed to the other ones so I sure got a lesson on what they can do when there bad. Thanks again everyone for the help.Vaughn
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Ok I thought I would give you all a update. First I want to say thank you to all of you who jumped in and tried to help me figure out what was going on and that is really great to have a place like this to come to and everyone will try and help get a problem solved on these cars we all love. We found the issue and it is hard to believe but it is what it is. I had the car at a very well respected Camaro guru's shop and he changed the tires and wheels to a set of other camaro wheels and tires and the car hooked and went straight over and over again with no sudden right hand turns to the ditch. So these tires were put on the car when I bought it and they are the pirelli tires in the correct sizes but something is bad wrong with them. The belts in the rear tires must be wadding up or slipping or some crap going on with them. They only have 3k miles on them but they are bad. So that was the problem and I have to say I never would have thought this was causing what the car was doing and we looked at everything a half dozen times before the tires and wheels were pulled off and changed to the other ones so I sure got a lesson on what they can do when there bad. Thanks again everyone for the help.Vaughn
Yeah tires can do strange things glad you nailed it.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #18
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
Glad you figured it out. Headaches like this are so annoying.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:14 AM   #19
ariZona28

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Cool. Now treat your car and yourself to that smoke show!!! Got to break in those new tires somehow.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:18 AM   #20
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
That was a tricky one. Glad you figured it out. Are you sure lugnuts were tight on first set?
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #21
Bigtime53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
That was a tricky one. Glad you figured it out. Are you sure lugnuts were tight on first set?
Trust me everything was tight and torqued and checked 5-6 times. It sure had us scratching our heads for over a week but now I know what was causing it. I am looking at tires now and the last Z I had I put michelin tires on it so I am leaning that way again.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:04 PM   #22
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
pilot sport 4s are awesome!
2014 Red Hot #1503 | RotoFab Big Gulp 5" Intake | NW 103 | 28% OD | GP Tuning 2.5 Cam | C.H.E. Trunnions | Ported, Coated, Blueprinted Melling 10355 | 2" TSP Jet-Hot LT's | JMS BAP | ID850 | TR7IX | MSD Wires | Metco Breather | Monster LT1-S Triple | C&R HEX | RotoFab Reservoir | APEX Catch Can | Self-Tuned w/ HPT
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #23
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
I have Michelin Super Sports and like them as well
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #24
CJ27

Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
I have used the bfgoodrichs since getting mine. Great tires
Old 08-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #25
Bigtime53

Just wanted to update you all that I got my new tires today put on and the car is absolutely fantastic now! I put the Nitto 555 tires on and I sure can tell a difference in the ride as it is better than the Pirelli tires that were on it. I did try the car all of the ways that I was having trouble with and the car goes straight every time. So now I am happy and glad that after all the things we thought were causing my problem it was only the tires. You guys remember this experience I had so you won't waste time looking at everything else trying to figure out why your car won't go straight and almost puts you in the ditch under acceleration
Old 08-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
ZMEnow

Quote:

Some quick thoughts, if the rear is causing the car to steer to the right under accell its basic issue is the left wheel is getting more traction than the right. You said you have checked all the suspension and alignment so even though no one can verify that, one can only assume it is done correct since both of those concerns could cause uneven loading. PSI to a half pound also can change traction, along with tire wear. Do a tread check.. Also do a date check if you are not the original owner to make sure you don't have a old tire going hard on the right. If you are not the original owner I was also measure the rear tire heights and compare.

I guess worth posting again..
Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #27
Bigtime53

Quote:
I guess worth posting again..
Some quick thoughts, if the rear is causing the car to steer to the right under accell its basic issue is the left wheel is getting more traction than the right. You said you have checked all the suspension and alignment so even though no one can verify that, one can only assume it is done correct since both of those concerns could cause uneven loading. PSI to a half pound also can change traction, along with tire wear. Do a tread check.. Also do a date check if you are not the original owner to make sure you don't have a old tire going hard on the right. If you are not the original owner I was also measure the rear tire heights and compare. -------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not understand why you even posted this. I did not answer your post because everything you mentioned was checked over and over again before you posted that and in my threads I explained that. Why would you say no one could verify that and one could only assume the alignment and suspension was correct after I said several times everything and I mean everything was checked over and over again for almost two weeks? Tire pressure was exactly the same in each tire [and no I do not think a half of pound of air in a tire will make it act any different than the others with a half a pound more. That is ridiculous!} The tires were all within the same dates and same brand and same height. I said here that one of the tires must have a belt loose or wading up or something but at this point I do not give a shit because now with the new tires all is ok.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #28
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I think he might have been pointing out that the tires were the only logical source of the problem if suspension checks out. It's all good info.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote