Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,084
2015 REAR DIFF RECALL?

I have a 2015 ZL1 and I have been having trouble with the rear end on my car. When I was driving it I started to pass a car and mashed on it and the car went hard right and almost put me in the side of the car I was passing. Scared the crap out of me at 65 mph. I had noticed several other times under acceleration the car was going to the right. I thought the car needed aligned so I had that done but that did not help. So I thought maybe the rear diff fluid was not changed so when it was draining the oil out some pieces of junk came out with the oil. It looked like real small pieces of hard material and we could not figure out what it was. I went to GM recalls on the net and I find that GM has a recall because the roll pins inside the diff will fracture. I believe now what came out with the oil was that,pieces of roll pins. The recall states they will replace not repair the rear end with a complete new one. Has anyone had this problem? If so did GM replace it?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,084
Update: I first saw on gm authority the recall had the 2014-2015 ZL1 in this recall but after digging more it said it affected the 2014-2015 CTS-V and not the Camaro. So are the rear diffs the same? Anyone know?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
CJ27
 
Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Tajas
Posts: 104
Sounds like an alignment issue to me. Have a certified gm dealer look at the alignment for you.
__________________
2014 Sliver ZL1. Built engine, Stage 1 Frankenstein heads, Magnuson, SW long tubes, AFCO H/E, She Gone cam, flex fuel sensor, meth injection. 820rwhp e85.
CJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
brick59
Sucker Punch
 
brick59's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black ZL1, 2007 Silverado LTZ
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Update: I first saw on gm authority the recall had the 2014-2015 ZL1 in this recall but after digging more it said it affected the 2014-2015 CTS-V and not the Camaro. So are the rear diffs the same? Anyone know?
They are different, the CTS-V guys have had a lot of trouble with breaking there diffs when they started to up the power on the LSA we have had very little trouble ours seams to be a lot stronger.
__________________
9.84 @ 142.5 MPH, Mass heads, Cam Motion LLR cam, Morel tie bar lifters, Crower roller rockers, Ported blower and snout, NW102 TB, 2.5/9.5 Pulleys, ID 1300, Fore Triple, DSX, E85, Meth Injection, Chiller, RPM 5" CAI, Kooks 2" Headers, H/F Cats, Corsa, Jakes stage 5 4L80, Circle D, RPM Roll Bar, BMR, Carlyle Racing 15" conversion kit.
brick59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ27 View Post
Sounds like an alignment issue to me. Have a certified gm dealer look at the alignment for you.
Already have done that twice.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
ariZona28

 
ariZona28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 987
Some details you may want to mention: How many miles on vehicle? Auto or manual transmission? Any previous suspension mods? Does it do it in all traction control settings? Traction control off, smoke show from both rears during burn-out attempt? Tire pressure and condition are also important but I'm sure you've already checked. I re-read your post, it almost sounds as if one rear tire is breaking loose under hard acceleration. There are some sharp folks on this forum, a little more info might get their brain gears spinning.
__________________
2LS: a TREMENDOUS machine. Z/28: it's a BIT MORE POWERFUL, of course.
ariZona28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
Camaro__ss
 
Drives: 2013 L99
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 154
I’ve heard the ***** magnet on the ZL1 can activate while under heavy acceleration under the right circumstances. There is a service bulletin on it.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:54 AM   #8
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro__ss View Post
I’ve heard the ***** magnet on the ZL1 can activate while under heavy acceleration under the right circumstances. There is a service bulletin on it.

What are you saying here? Magnet? You got to give me more info please. This car is driving us crazy trying to figure out what is going on. Thanks
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:09 AM   #9
Bigtime53

 
Bigtime53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Some details you may want to mention: How many miles on vehicle? Auto or manual transmission? Any previous suspension mods? Does it do it in all traction control settings? Traction control off, smoke show from both rears during burn-out attempt? Tire pressure and condition are also important but I'm sure you've already checked. I re-read your post, it almost sounds as if one rear tire is breaking loose under hard acceleration. There are some sharp folks on this forum, a little more info might get their brain gears spinning.
1-Automatic
2-No suspension mods
3-Traction control settings yes but I did not try with all of the nannies off-to scared to
4-Never tried a smoke show
5-Tire pressure each was the same pressure
6-New tires
7-Forgot 24000 miles
I have changed the fluid [3 times]and have followed GM guide lines also and it still does it. It will make a right turn at 70mph if you mat the gas pedal and scares the crap out of you. It will do it at 30mph to doesnt seem to make a difference what speed. Tires i believe are sticking and not spinning as it does not fish tail it just goes hard right. We have checked all the bolts looked at the cradle bushings closely and all of the control arm bushings and all looks well. I may have to drop the cradle to further inspect but if that is all ok then I do not know what to do next. Someone above said something about a magnet but I do not know what he is referring to. I think he is talking about the mag ride?
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
ZMEnow

 
Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
1-Automatic
2-No suspension mods
3-Traction control settings yes but I did not try with all of the nannies off-to scared to
4-Never tried a smoke show
5-Tire pressure each was the same pressure
6-New tires
7-Forgot 24000 miles
I have changed the fluid [3 times]and have followed GM guide lines also and it still does it. It will make a right turn at 70mph if you mat the gas pedal and scares the crap out of you. It will do it at 30mph to doesnt seem to make a difference what speed. Tires i believe are sticking and not spinning as it does not fish tail it just goes hard right. We have checked all the bolts looked at the cradle bushings closely and all of the control arm bushings and all looks well. I may have to drop the cradle to further inspect but if that is all ok then I do not know what to do next. Someone above said something about a magnet but I do not know what he is referring to. I think he is talking about the mag ride?


Some quick thoughts, if the rear is causing the car to steer to the right under accell its basic issue is the left wheel is getting more traction than the right. You said you have checked all the suspension and alignment so even though no one can verify that, one can only assume it is done correct since both of those concerns could cause uneven loading. PSI to a half pound also can change traction, along with tire wear. Do a tread check.. Also do a date check if you are not the original owner to make sure you don't have a old tire going hard on the right. If you are not the original owner I was also measure the rear tire heights and compare.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
lbls1


 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,739
Never heard of this, but I have a manual. I have the typical decel whine, but otherwise the car drives great. Not bothering mine; I haven't had the pulling to one side.
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'15 Malibu LTZ 2LZ Turbo

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
ariZona28

 
ariZona28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 987
I'm curious as to what "magnet" the individual is referring to. If it is Mag Ride related than experimenting with the traction control settings may expose the source of the problem. I would think a code would be tripped but maybe not. Scroll on down a few posts and read "Mag Ride...is it working." A good discussion of ride perception with different settings. Grasping at straws here, wish I could help more.
__________________
2LS: a TREMENDOUS machine. Z/28: it's a BIT MORE POWERFUL, of course.
ariZona28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #13
ZMEnow

 
Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Never heard of this, but I have a manual. I have the typical decel whine, but otherwise the car drives great. Not bothering mine; I haven't had the pulling to one side.

Mine has always pulled at shifts at least 1st and 2nd, but I am not at standard RWHP. I have just learn to manage it.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
CJ27
 
Drives: Chevrolet camaro zl1
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Tajas
Posts: 104
Mine drives great and only gets sideways when expecting it to. I still think this is an alignment issue and not a rear diff issue. I had the same rear end whine when I bought the car used with 6k on it and the dealership replaced the whole center housing gears and all. But it never pulled under acceleration.
__________________
2014 Sliver ZL1. Built engine, Stage 1 Frankenstein heads, Magnuson, SW long tubes, AFCO H/E, She Gone cam, flex fuel sensor, meth injection. 820rwhp e85.
CJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.