Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
BurningRubber

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Wheels for Autocross

I am trying to find smaller, lighter, somewhat inexpensive wheels for my 2011 Camaro 2ss to use for autocross. My understanding is that the smallest wheels which can be used in the FS class are 19x8 on the front and 19x9 in the back - I would prefer to use the same size all around, but I don't think that's allowed in FS class.

Can anyone recommend light and inexpensive wheels of this size?
(under 1.5k USD for 4 or under 1k would be even better)

I was thinking possibly APEX Arc-8 19x9s in the back, but they're a little pricey. Haven't found a good 19x8.

If you'd like to reccomend some 200 tread tires for these odd wheel sizes, I'd also be interested in that.

Info on stock wheels and tires here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/wiki.p...WHEELS___TIRES
BurningRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Ya maybe the apex ps7's or arc's. Have you considered just getting a second set of oem wheels?... You could get a set of rs3's in 20"
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
BurningRubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumLabowski View Post
You could get a set of rs3's in 20"
I would like to run as small a diameter as is allowed in the FS autocross class in order to fit larger tires on.

Doesn't look like you can fit very fat tires on the 20s without significant rub.

Seems like the ps-7 is very similar to the arc-8. Unfortunately, neither comes in 19x8

By the way, if I can run non-staggered wheel widths in street class, please let me know. This would definitely make my life easier.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
MediumLabowski

No, in FS you need to run 8's & 9's in non-1LE trim. I called the rules guy at the scca to make sure. You can fit fat tires the way it sits without rub. If you stay with 20", a 265 and 285 rs3 will do just fine, there is no benefit to go wider.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
BurningRubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumLabowski View Post
No, in FS you need to run 8's & 9's in non-1LE trim. I called the rules guy at the scca to make sure. You can fit fat tires the way it sits without rub. If you stay with 20", a 265 and 285 rs3 will do just fine, there is no benefit to go wider.
I may do that. that's about the increase in tire size I was looking for.

By rs3 do you mean hankook rs3 tires?

I don't know very much about all this wheel and tire stuff.

Thanks for your help, by the way.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
If you are getting autocross-only tires. Really depends on how crazy you want to get. I would get 19" wheels and RE-71R tires. A hotshoe in a 6th gen Camaro is running 265/275 on 19x8.5/19x9.5.
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Cornercarver
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Get any size you want and run CAM-C!! You can never be competitive nationally in a non-1LE car anyway since you are so limited on tire size and compound...

I run 18x12 with 335 Rival S's all the way around. Last year I ran 305x20 Hankook R-S3 square setup, the kooks cannot keep up with the Rival S and the RE-71R. But they are a great tire for a local only driver who wants to street drive them a lot too.

If you are stuck on running FS then you should get 19" wheels in the standard 8" & 9" widths with 5mm less offset and use 255x19 and 285x19 RE-71R's, that's your best bet with those constraints..

I personally run Forgestar F14's and they are great quality, rotary forged, light weight and affordable.
Cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
MediumLabowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornercarver View Post
Get any size you want and run CAM-C!! You can never be competitive nationally in a non-1LE car anyway since you are so limited on wheel size

I run 18x12 with 335 Rival S's all the way around. Last year I ran 305x20 Hankook R-S3 square setup, the kooks cannot keep up with the Rival S and the RE-71R. But they are a great tire for a local only driver who wants to street drive them a lot too.

If you are stuck on running FS then you should get 19" wheels in the standard 8" & 9" widths with 5mm less offset and use 255x19 and 285x19 RE-71R's, that's your best bet with those constraints..

I personally run Forgestar F14's and they are great quality, rotary forged, light weight and affordable.
18x12... Very boss. Whats the offset on those? (Cam next year, stp is super dumb)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
We are on 19" forgestar CF5V's this year the set cost around $1700 for custom ordered offset (7mm allowed offset change with street class) but like cornercarver said cam-c might be worth thinking about for a non 1LE car if your ever thinking about running at a national level event.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
As others have mentioned if you want to stay in F-Street class you need to keep the original wheel widths but you can go up or down one inch in diameter and the offset needs to be + or - 7mm from stock. 19in wheels will give you a few more options when it comes to tire selection specifically the Bridgestone RE-71r. Sadly it is true that you will be at a disadvantage against 1LE's and their wider stock wheels, but it will be cheaper to run FS than to do the necessary modifications to be competitive in CAM. I know all of the cars running FS in Central Carolinas Region SCCA and I am pretty sure with some good tires and good driver mod you can beat both of the Mustangs that run at those events. If you just want to learn and have fun come out and join us and run FS for a bit (or Novice if you are new, you get an extra run and novice instruction) and then decide if you want to go big in CAM after you have had some more seat time.

BTW I just posted the details for our next CCR-SCCA event over in the South East regional forum here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457413 Hope you can make it. If you are going to attend please PM me.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
BurningRubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
If you just want to learn and have fun come out and join us and run FS for a bit
I thought I recognized that 1LE! I rode along for your first lap at the last event and attempted to learn something while I was there.

I'm here on the camaro5 forums following up on your advice about smaller wheels. I don't necessarily plan on buying new wheels soon as currently the part of the car with the most potential for improvement is the driver. But, I like to plan ahead for things.

I'm already signed up for the event on the 19th (firmly in the novice class). See you there.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRubber View Post
I thought I recognized that 1LE! I rode along for your first lap at the last event and attempted to learn something while I was there.

I'm here on the camaro5 forums following up on your advice about smaller wheels. I don't necessarily plan on buying new wheels soon as currently the part of the car with the most potential for improvement is the driver. But, I like to plan ahead for things.

I'm already signed up for the event on the 19th (firmly in the novice class). See you there.
Yah I figured it was you. I see that you're signed up now but only for Saturday the 9th, you can't make it both days? If you are reasonably sure you are going to stick with autocross then you definately need to get out of those 21's, they are killing your times. I can't really say which class you should aim for, CAM or FS but I imagine you can just run as novice for the rest of the season if you like. (and you should just for the seat time) If you want to be competitive then CAM will probably be the way to go, but if you stick with FS you will still have a lot of fun and experience, it just depends on what you want to get out of it. Glad you are going to the next event!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 AM   #13
BurningRubber

Lightbulb

I found some very cheap wheels on ebay that look like they'll fit and are the diameter/width that I want.

They are Privat Weidens, and here are the ebay links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19x8-Silver-...-/371662596462
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19x9-Silver-...-/361609314984

Will these actually fit? Are they going to break immediately? Will they be warped or otherwise unusable for autocross?

For under 600 bucks I don't really care if they aren't very weight efficient - going down from my current 22's will save a ton of weight anyway. I also feel this is a good price point for a beginner like myself.

An alternative link for the privat weiden 19x9's claims to fit a camaro ss according to ebay, and there are some 20 inch versions being sold on the camaro5 forums. Has anyone actually put these rims on their camaro?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #14
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRubber View Post
I found some very cheap wheels on ebay that look like they'll fit and are the diameter/width that I want.

They are Privat Weidens, and here are the ebay links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19x8-Silver-...-/371662596462
http://www.ebay.com/itm/19x9-Silver-...-/361609314984

Will these actually fit? Are they going to break immediately? Will they be warped or otherwise unusable for autocross?

For under 600 bucks I don't really care if they aren't very weight efficient - going down from my current 22's will save a ton of weight anyway. I also feel this is a good price point for a beginner like myself.

An alternative link for the privat weiden 19x9's claims to fit a camaro ss according to ebay, and there are some 20 inch versions being sold on the camaro5 forums. Has anyone actually put these rims on their camaro?
I believe the rear wheels you have listed are not the correct offset for stock but I don't know if that would prevent them from fitting. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) the stock SS comes with 20x8 +35mm offset in front and 20x9 +40mm offset in the rear. So you would want 19x8 +35mm fronts and 19x9 +40mm in the rear. Those wheels fall within the rules for FS which gives you + or - 7mm offset but I don't know how they would fit the car.

Another thing to consider is that you will be asking a lot from these wheels when autocrossing in a very heavy car, and I would not recommend going the cheap route unless they are known quality wheels. I have seen pictures of wheels cracking and failing during autocross and track days. You can probably get away with it but why take the chance? I will have to leave it to others here to make brand recommendations since all I have are the stock wheels on my car. I have heard good things about Frogestars and MRR wheels but no first hand experience, however they may not make them in the size you need. I was poking around the internets but couldn't find many options for you I will ask on the CCR facebook for some brand recommendations unless someone here has the perfect solution.