Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Speedinc tune issues with my A6 trans

I had Speedinc tune my car over a year ago and ever since it seems to have problems downshifting. For example when I drive 30-40mph and punch it, it downshifts and launches hard for less then a second then it seems to pop out of gear and downshifts again right away. All this happens within 1 second. It is really annoying and embarrassing when I try to get on it a bit especially when passing another car. I do not have any problems using tap shift to manually shift. I have been driving the car in manual mode to avoid this issue. Sort of defeats the purpose of an Auto.
I posted this in the transmission section but realized it should be here in the Tuning section instead.

I took the car back and Speed inc attached the computer to my car's computer while I was driving and logged the data. They saw the problem and admitted that it shouldn't be this way but couldn't explain why it was doing it so they put the stock file back in the car to see if the problem would go away. Once the car was back to the stock tune, I had no issues whatsoever. Once this was verified they programmed the modified file back into the car but this time they disabled torque management and the problem went away for few weeks but surfaced back.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with their Auto after a tune? I don't feel confident in having them alter the parameters any further and am thinking to go back and have them tune my car back to stock then take the car to another shop for a brand new tune. Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
SS King

Drives: a Panty Dropper
Yep go back to them and have them reload your stock tune then Just talk to Ted @ JRE and have him hook u up with a SCT Tune
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
white ZL1

Drives: none
On a relatively stock car, the A6 is pretty easy to "tweak" and get some really solid results. It would be interesting to see what they did with yours that's causing this problem. Even more interesting is that they can't fix it.
Try Fast Motorsports maybe? A buddy just had this TBSS tuned there and has nothing but good things to say about them.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS King View Post
Yep go back to them and have them reload your stock tune then Just talk to Ted @ JRE and have him hook u up with a SCT Tune
^ This

I live an hour from Speed Inc. and have a JRE tune it that says anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If is spelllled wrong deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
white ZL1

Drives: none
Are you sure it's not the PAS kicking in? Does it only do this in Sport mode, or is it doing it in Drive also?
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
1Camaro2SS

Yes, sounds like I need to get Ted from JRE involved or someone who really understands the auto trans. I plan on installing a VVT-3 cam and delete AFM/DOD including a 3200 stall. At that time I will get a new tune. I really don't know if it's the PAS kicking in. It has this issue in sport mode and "D" mode with traction control on and off.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
TrackZero

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
When I tuned my transmission, I had alot of issues especially with downshifting, and long shifts. It almost seemed to fall out of gear. I had to reset the adaptive learning on the transmission, and everything then worked wonderful. It took me about 2 months to figure this out, I almost took it and had it tuned by a professional.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero View Post
When I tuned my transmission, I had alot of issues especially with downshifting, and long shifts. It almost seemed to fall out of gear. I had to reset the adaptive learning on the transmission, and everything then worked wonderful. It took me about 2 months to figure this out, I almost took it and had it tuned by a professional.
Adaptive learning? I didn't know there was such a feature. So does this mean it changes the way it shifts based on driving style? I will need to mention this to the tuner. Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Are your quickly flooring the gas or rolling into the gas.

Sometimes if you roll an A6 into the gas it will stair step down to the appropriate gear. So it jumps down a gear, then waits a second and drop again.

But if you quickly push the gas pedal to the floor, the transmission should drop to the appropriate gear (without stair stepping down).

Even the best tune, can sometimes stair step down a shift. But if its happening all the time when you go WOT, then the tune needs work.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
TrackZero

If you happen to have a copy of your hpt file, I would be glad to take a look at it for you.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
Adaptive learning? I didn't know there was such a feature. So does this mean it changes the way it shifts based on driving style? I will need to mention this to the tuner. Thanks
these transmissions are not simple to tune right. Doing it wrong can cost you a tranny. If you have to mention that to your tuner, you might want to consider a different tuner.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
TrackZero

You are correct these are not easy to tune. I purchased some transmission tuning training, as well as spent ALOT of time reading and asking questions and learning before ever touching mine.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Are your quickly flooring the gas or rolling into the gas.

Sometimes if you roll an A6 into the gas it will stair step down to the appropriate gear. So it jumps down a gear, then waits a second and drop again.

But if you quickly push the gas pedal to the floor, the transmission should drop to the appropriate gear (without stair stepping down).

Even the best tune, can sometimes stair step down a shift. But if its happening all the time when you go WOT, then the tune needs work.
This only happens when I quickly push the pedal to the floor. It downshifts and throws me in the seat as if it will launch then quickly changes it's mind and snaps out of gear as if it goes into neutral. During this time if I hold the gas pedal down it will downshift again right after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZero View Post
If you happen to have a copy of your hpt file, I would be glad to take a look at it for you.
Thanks for your kind offer to look at the file but unfortunately I don't have it. I will ask the shop for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
these transmissions are not simple to tune right. Doing it wrong can cost you a tranny. If you have to mention that to your tuner, you might want to consider a different tuner.
Good point. If I remember correctly my tuner said that thousands of parameters were changed but he didn't know exactly what all of the changes were. He was working with someone at HP Tuners and they provided him data to write into the computer.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
The issue your having sounds related to the downshift speed tables, but there are so many parameters its tough. I am in th process of tuning mine now and its a lot of trial and error.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote