Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
There seems to be some people here that don't seem to know squat about GM service parts.

Service parts will fit and function as per original GM design. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the prettiest cosmetically or even look exactly the same. If the car is still in production, that's usually good, because you'll get parts siphoned off from the manufacturer usually that would otherwise go to the assembly line. Basically, a factory part. While I agree that it apparently looks as if it got clattered up in a bin full of other gears, it still looks new, since there's no witness marks. If you're exchanging it because of dinks and slight discoloration from what appears to be a plating/conditioning process, you'll be paying more than you would just buying it from the local dealer. And I'm betting you'll get one that looks just like it in return.

From where I sit, there's NOTHING wrong with that part. It looks new and if that part's what you think is causing you problems, you have something else wrong. If it came in a sealed GM bag, that's pretty much what you are getting.

Problem is, lately, GM is simply taking what appears to be heavy duty sandwich baggies and slapping a label on them if they don't come in a box. They're definitely cutting back on packaging. Plus, maybe they don't have enough boxes in China or Korea, where a lot of GM parts are seemingly made.

Is it exposed? Will you see it? Obviously not, so run it and don't look back.

Plus, the GM list price is $24.90. If you bought that by itself on your order, you would have paid $27 and change to get it to your door. Hopefully you were buying other stuff along with that to reduce your shipping/handling. But then paying shipping again to send it back so you get another part that will likely look the same?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I paid $17 for it and also got few other parts for my LS3 conversion but its not about the $$. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't installing someone's returned part. It came in a thin plastic bag which was brown paper bagged. I can tell you that other parts I ordered were in much better shape. The head bolts are all loose in one box and none have dings in the threads although bolts are much lighter in weight of course.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
There seems to be some people here that don't seem to know squat about GM service parts.

Service parts will fit and function as per original GM design. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the prettiest cosmetically or even look exactly the same. If the car is still in production, that's usually good, because you'll get parts siphoned off from the manufacturer usually that would otherwise go to the assembly line. Basically, a factory part. While I agree that it apparently looks as if it got clattered up in a bin full of other gears, it still looks new, since there's no witness marks. If you're exchanging it because of dinks and slight discoloration from what appears to be a plating/conditioning process, you'll be paying more than you would just buying it from the local dealer. And I'm betting you'll get one that looks just like it in return.

From where I sit, there's NOTHING wrong with that part. It looks new and if that part's what you think is causing you problems, you have something else wrong. If it came in a sealed GM bag, that's pretty much what you are getting.

Problem is, lately, GM is simply taking what appears to be heavy duty sandwich baggies and slapping a label on them if they don't come in a box. They're definitely cutting back on packaging. Plus, maybe they don't have enough boxes in China or Korea, where a lot of GM parts are seemingly made.

Is it exposed? Will you see it? Obviously not, so run it and don't look back.

Plus, the GM list price is $24.90. If you bought that by itself on your order, you would have paid $27 and change to get it to your door. Hopefully you were buying other stuff along with that to reduce your shipping/handling. But then paying shipping again to send it back so you get another part that will likely look the same?

Nice but still speculation. I've ordered gm cam and crank sprockets and they have never looked like that. Nobody can be sure exactyly what happened to it so I wouldn't run it. Just my .2
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Can you post up the other side as well?

And maybe the teeth head on?

I don't like all the nicks and scratches on the whole thing.

New parts aren't supposed to look like that.

I realize that sometimes they do because of how they are made and the packaging and shipping process but I've seem cam sprockets that are WAY cleaner than that.

I agree with the others though. Probably fine.
Here are more pics. I think the part was just not packed and handled carefully but should be ok.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Looks new to me. No wear patterns that I can see. Just a rough finish.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
pouncer72
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to pouncer72
Looks fine to me
pouncer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Run it
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
looks new to me..
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
IMO, the first pic in post #18 looks like wear on what is the bottom edge of the sprocket in that pic.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
It's OK

After heat treating it was probably put in a tumbler to remove scale,then final machining.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #25
mountsalami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
Sprockets for 40 dollar kids bikes look better than that from Wal-Mart.
mountsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
GMPartsDirect is a GM dealership parts department, and I would be surprised if they knowingly sent out a used part. They get all their parts through the GM supply line.

New parts do not always look as pristine as you might expect (i mean functional parts as opposed to cosmetic parts), but I see nothing from your pics that would lead me to believe that this is not a genuine new GM part.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #27
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
Here are more pics. I think the part was just not packed and handled carefully but should be ok.
I agree it wasn't run before. And even if it were I'd say it wasn't run long. LOL

BUT that thing looks like shit. Like they threw it in a big bin with a thousand other sprockets and shook it up.

Doesn't have to be pretty on inside. Just has to stay on the front of the cam and in the chain.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Once the cam cover is installed it wont look like $hit anymore, besides its a cheap sprocket.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote