Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #29
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
This is true. But, I agree we are living in the golden age of the internal combustion engine and we are rolling in it!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #30
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylortoons View Post
This is true. But, I agree we are living in the golden age of the internal combustion engine and we are rolling in it!!!
True dat
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
In all seriousness its about knowing what your doing and having been a long time hotrodder; the Camaro needs suspension mods to handle 500 ft lbs, and apply it too suddenly and you have to worry about the axles. The Hellcat was never made with streetability in mind it was to totally overwhelm the tires and burning out on its skinny tires is easy as it should be and could be even with lower power settings, their 500 hp setting is more appropriate but its flywheel so with that amount of power truly to the rears I would have no problem dispensing with the hellcat and have before.

The amount of power given is for tracks basically, I can burn rubber in every gear in Camaro practically and never stomp the pedal unless I feel like spinning the tires, usually I just give it a little extra gas to make the rear end fish tail as a warning to butt heads to back the F off. That's with all Tc /nannies on, with torque management mostly removed the rear will walk just as any good RWD high power car even with better suspension on dry hot asphalt.

There is of course too much power when you go far above what you car can handle and it in the driver, Dodge has always in the past not cared about weight much or size and been stupid about power and so there you go....they also don't care if you wrap it around a tree the second you get it off the lot!!! And I have heard and seen some awesome flying bricks trashed ASAP and it even happens to zl1s.....

SO turn up the Hellcat and get 2 mpg with all that boost and drive it to the nearest gas station as a stock racecar....then turn around and head anywhere near a gas station, that's the deal. I am sure the new zl1 spanks the hellcat with weight being a big deal and top end HP numbers not so much meaning anything except how hard its working making torque to move the brick.... Cornering its a whole different world and the hellcat was made for street corners not particularly anything on the cornering even making a special widebody edition which is nice but still how do you make a 4500 lb brick fly ; put a ton of power to it..and you better be able to hook or.... you loose; you spin and drag radials well many guys go through a lot of sets just to race a season.

The Hellcat a collectors item like the land barge general lee or etc I drove in them as teen all over and they are a flying barge..... SO its fun and it can handle better than old school yup, but to need that much power; its only for the track or for rolling along at high speed and that freeway pass with out cops. EGO.......
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #32
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I don't understand golf.
I don't understand how someone can justify spending that much money on clubs, cart, balls,gloves etc. when they cant use them unless they go to the golf course.

My tires don't spin unless I ask them to, and then they only spin as much as I ask them to.
The cool thing about 700 hp, you can use the accelerator pedal and only use 323 hp or give more and only use 426 hp or give more and get 500 hp or give more and get 700 hp.

The only thing wrong with 700 hp is , it aint 800 hp!!
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #33
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
how much rear tire can actually fit in the Hellcat? seems like I recall they don't have much space under there.
pnwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
No, it’s not a street race, don’t call the cops! My son in law just bought a ‘slightly’ used Hellcat - 5K miles. He let me drive it yesterday. He likes to cruise around in track mode. So I did too. It came with P Zeros and it was nearly impossible to keep them hooked up - in track mode, through the first three gears. If you pressed on the go pedal much. It was a manual trans.

I know many here have 700HP or more but my question is, can you really use it? Unless you’re actually tracking it, to this lowly, stock SS driver, it seemed almost too much on the street. Aren’t you either burning up tires or brakes depending on what mode you’re in?

It was the first 700+ HP car I’d ever driven.

Maybe I’m showing my age but that car seemed TOO much compared to mine. Time to revoke my man card?
More like recognizing that you'd just stepped behind the wheel of a car that can get you out way past your comfort zone in a hurry. That's part of the wisdom that comes with experience. A good thing.

The fact that you've recognized this suggests in itself that you'd be less likely to go crazy with that car's performance potential just to go crazy with it. I hope you can rub some of that wisdom off on the S-I-L.

I think you'd manage to adjust to using only a small portion of the car's potential just fine.

Norm
Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #35
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
I don't understand golf.
I don't understand how someone can justify spending that much money on clubs, cart, balls,gloves etc. when they cant use them unless they go to the golf course.

My tires don't spin unless I ask them to, and then they only spin as much as I ask them to.
The cool thing about 700 hp, you can use the accelerator pedal and only use 323 hp or give more and only use 426 hp or give more and get 500 hp or give more and get 700 hp.

I honestly get that!
Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #36
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
More like recognizing that you'd just stepped behind the wheel of a car that can get you out way past your comfort zone in a hurry. That's part of the wisdom that comes with experience. A good thing.

The fact that you've recognized this suggests in itself that you'd be less likely to go crazy with that car's performance potential just to go crazy with it. I hope you can rub some of that wisdom off on the S-I-L.

I think you'd manage to adjust to using only a small portion of the car's potential just fine.

Norm
Yes. Now if I had THE PLACE to play with it, I'm sure I could find some comfort in drifting or dragging. But yeah, as a DD, probably beyond me. At least with the red key. I must at least give Dodge some props for having the wisdom to even make a black key.

I am concerned about the SIL. He's young and fearless. That's a lot of car under those conditions. AND SO ARE A GOOD MANY CAMAROS! A great deal of responsibility actually does comes with these cars. I'm closer to knowing that first hand now. Not that the 'ol SS doesn't remind me of that from time to time too.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #37
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
I don't understand golf.

And the only thing wrong with 800 HP is, it ain't 900 HP!
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #38
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I have 546/rwhp and 522/rwtq. It can be a problem if I'm not careful with the throttle. It is a lot of fun though when you want to use it, within reason.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #39
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Tires are the key. A street tires is no good for a car at 600 at the wheels. My car is now around 600 at the wheels and I am still running a 315 Invo out back. My first is useless... and even from some rolls on cool days. My plan is to get some DR's this summer. Yes those Hellcats are fast. I have ran a couple. One modded which walked away from me and another stock once which we were almost dead even. With a good tire I have seen them break in the high 10's at my local track.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #40
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
I'm sitting at about 730 crank hp and about 640 rwhp. Definitely had to get better and wider rear tires and suspension done. I have more work to do on my suspension but I love having the power on hand. The tires will spin on command in most gears but I try to avoid that and concentrate on getting that power to the ground efficiently. I had to learn how to launch the car properly in drag races with this power. The 0 to 60 mph is fun, it's the 60 to 120 mph that I love, in an appropriate area of course. I want 700 at the rear wheels now.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #41
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I agree about suspension and wheels/tires being important, so I have done the following:

-stock strut tower brace (will probably upgrade this at some point)
-Koni yellow shocks & struts
-BMR: 1” lowering springs, toe links, trailing arms, rear subframe cradle bushings, front radius arm bushing, steering rack bushing, front sub frame connectors, and drive shaft tunnel brace
-Forgeline 20x9.5 front & 20x11 rear wheels
-Nitto Invo P275/40-R20 front & P315/35-R20 rear tires

I’ve also gone with R1 slotted & cross drilled rotors and upgraded pads. I’ll be getting the powder coated calipers at some point as well.

As for performance upgrades:

-Cold Air Industries intake
-American Racing long tube headers
-American Racing high flow cats
-Borla ATAK cat back exhaust
-3.91:1 rear
-full ECU & trans tunes

There will be more down the road, but good foundation to start.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #42
zoutlawss

Drives: 2018 1LE
I'd be happy just to get to 650 HP

Last edited by zoutlawss; 01-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.
zoutlawss is offline   Reply With Quote