Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #2479
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
Thanks.

Holy crap. Those are decent prices, but then it's $10 to ship. And how close is the match? And then you have to wait.

I drive 20 minutes out to Sherwin Williams Automotive (the "Automotive" part is important), and have them mix me up a can or two while I wait. I think it comes out to about the same, and then I can drive home and start using it immediately.

They also have the 2k clearcoat which is what you'll need if you want a factory-hard clear. It's in a can with a capsule of hardener inside that you puncture with a button on the bottom and when you mix it up, you have 48 hours to use it before it hardens in the can. Great stuff though. Just make sure you have a big enough job that you don't waste most of it.
so you just ask your dealer and they will get you the SGM paint ?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #2480
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Would. 3 gal air compressor tank and the autozone paint spray guns work well if I'm custom painting something ? I hate aerosol cans
Yeah, that'll work fine for small jobs. And if you take your time and get the hang of using the equipment, it should give you good results. Just remember; prep-work is everything. Dust is your enemy!

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #2481
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
so you just ask your dealer and they will get you the SGM paint ?
Dealers don't know jack. All they can get you is those little touch up paint bottles anyway. You need to get it custom mixed, either online or at a local store or shop. Just give them the paint code.

But yeah I'd never use rattle cans on bodywork. Anything that goes up against the existing factory paint just won't match all that well due to a lot of factors. Mostly, the metallic elements in the paint will make it look off because they weren't laid down at the same time, so at different angles, you'll be able to spot the repaint with metallic colors. However, the color looks great every time I've used it. I painted my rims, strut tower brace, and three different computer mice with it. As long as it's not a body panel right up against another one, you can't tell.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2482
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Quote:
Dealers don't know jack. All they can get you is those little touch up paint bottles anyway. You need to get it custom mixed, either online or at a local store or shop. Just give them the paint code.

But yeah I'd never use rattle cans on bodywork. Anything that goes up against the existing factory paint just won't match all that well due to a lot of factors. Mostly, the metallic elements in the paint will make it look off because they weren't laid down at the same time, so at different angles, you'll be able to spot the repaint with metallic colors. However, the color looks great every time I've used it. I painted my rims, strut tower brace, and three different computer mice with it. As long as it's not a body panel right up against another one, you can't tell.
Oh boy, and I need to get my fenders replaced soon.
Maybe if I blend the new bumper, hood, fenders it will all Match up better opposed to painting on piece of the car
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #2483
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy or a '83 Z-28.
Quote:

FYI Forged, we have a great paint/body guy in Sumner. He repaired a nasty door ding and paint. This wasn't something we could repair ourselves and he did a fantastic job.
Now I just have to get brave and start doing some of those other projects on the list....

Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #2484
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Quote:
Thanks.

Holy crap. Those are decent prices, but then it's $10 to ship. And how close is the match? And then you have to wait.
You've seen it for yourself. I showed you at the Synergys for St. Patricks Day meet. I did all the scuffs on my front fascia. It took a lot of color sanding and buffing, but I got it closer than I would have expected for rattle-can. Mind you, it's confined mostly to the underside of the fascia, or I never would have considered trying it that way.

Quote:

You're right about that. When I took a class in automotive painting, they had a paint panel (a 2'x3' piece of sheet metal we used for practice) divided into a grid of a dozen or so squares, each a completely different shade of metallic copper. As it turned out, it was all the same paint. Each square was painted with different pressures, distance, or other variables. So metallics are the trickiest, without a doubt. In the engine compartment surrounded by a lot of black, you won't be able to tell the difference. I painted my CAI with this paint, and it turned out great:

Name:  CAI 01.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  187.0 KB

Name:  CAI 03.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  121.9 KB

Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #2485
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
There are still some SG Choko race jackets available. If you want one PM me. And a limited # of matching ball caps. (with the SG car under the brim)
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #2486
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
There are still some SG Choko race jackets available. If you want one PM me. And a limited # of matching ball caps. (with the SG car under the brim)
Clue me in.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #2487
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Quote:
Clue me in.
We met OUR72GTO at the Dick's meet-n-eat put together by Tim Collett (RED DEMON SS) last year. He came all the way down from Kamloops, BC. Choko is a GM licensed clothing vendor that only sells in Canada. They have some really cool stuff! He was nice enough to leave us his catalog, and we still have it; I just saw it on the counter the other day. I'm thinking we might snag one of those jackets. Maybe he'll be nice enough to deliver one to us, either at the show-n-shine in Lillooet:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277114

Or maybe we can talk him into coming down to Wally's in August!:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282025

Canadian side: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301447

What sizes you got?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #2488
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Bump
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #2489
Triple A

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy Green 6M
Picked up a 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS 6M the other week. Love the car!

Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace and REar Chassis Brace
SLP 160 Thermostat
Triple A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #2490
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Very nice!

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #2491
Triple A

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy Green 6M
Thanks! other than the punk kid who took out my passenger side mirror so thats in process of getting painted and getting installed.

Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace and REar Chassis Brace
SLP 160 Thermostat
Triple A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #2492
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Congrats on the new ride ! Sucks someone took out your mirror