Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
mgb

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS - 2012 ZL1
FLOWMASTER OUTLAW VRS. SLP LOUDMOUTH

I have long tube headers, high flow cats, mild cam, with corsa exhaust. Want more aggressive sound. If I go muffler delete, will I loose any hp or trq. I'm trying to decide between Outlaws and Loudmouths. I can't see videos, looking for opinions.
mgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
I'm very pleased with my Outlaws. However since you're cammed I'd recommend American Thunders. I think mine is just a little too loud. I think I'd be better with high flow cats and swapping to the American thunder mufflers.

I haven't heard the SLP exhaust, so I can't help you there.
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I have slp loudmouth 2 and they sound good. Nice deep tone but not annoying. Theres a lil bit of drone in 6th between 1800/2000 rpm. I've heard borla atak on cammed cars and its louder than my slp.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
mgb

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS - 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightymouseSS View Post
I have slp loudmouth 2 and they sound good. Nice deep tone but not annoying. Theres a lil bit of drone in 6th between 1800/2000 rpm. I've heard borla atak on cammed cars and its louder than my slp.
What is drone? Also, what about hp lose or gain. Tell me about the nightfury cam.
mgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
You will not lose any horsepower going with a muffler delete. Mufflers are so far past the crossover they can only cost you horsepower by running one with an inefficient design. There shouldn't be any power difference between an SLP Loutmouth, Flowmaster Outlaw or muffler delete because they are all straight-through designs. The only difference should be sound, and all may be unbearably loud for if not you, at least your neighbors on your setup.

Flowmaster American Thunders will cost you significant horsepower. They flow horribly - much worse than even the stock cans. It is probably one of the only catbacks on the market that will cost you significant horsepower.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Beckmann2420
Infantry leads the way!

Drives: 2012 SW L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ahhhhh I can't take it anymore! I can't wait to get this cam in! Hope the combo I have going sounds great with the cam. Especially with the ATAK.

Borla ATAK Catback
C.A.I CAI
JRE Scoop
Elite Catch Can
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
PFADT Tri-Y Long Tube Headers
High Flow Cats
NOWEEDS
GPI VVT SS3 Cam
Circle D 3800 Torque Converter
Tuned by Southwest Speed
Beckmann2420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
You will not lose any horsepower going with a muffler delete. Mufflers are so far past the crossover they can only cost you horsepower by running one with an inefficient design. There shouldn't be any power difference between an SLP Loutmouth, Flowmaster Outlaw or muffler delete because they are all straight-through designs. The only difference should be sound, and all may be unbearably loud for if not you, at least your neighbors on your setup.

Flowmaster American Thunders will cost you significant horsepower. They flow horribly - much worse than even the stock cans. It is probably one of the only catbacks on the market that will cost you significant horsepower.
What are you basing this on?
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Night fury cam el paso: http://youtu.be/ts6RUwE-pFc
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

what are you saying..there is no difference in power with any kind of muffler...it's just sound/noise.

just remember if the exhaust has a incredible flow you got the power on the big rpm.if you have back pressure you see power in the low rpm..

i have done a lot of test with exhaust when i have had a golf gti. totally straight,76mm 70mm and mixed..

Quote:
Night fury cam el paso: http://youtu.be/ts6RUwE-pFc
it sounds awesome...i like just a few cars cammed ,most of it sound too much metallic,but this is a lovely sound!...
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
ZuluKilla8

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
Ls3 Lt headers high flow cats and boost cam through outlaws

https://vimeo.com/114600186

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Race Proven Motorsports tuned
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuluKilla8 View Post
Ls3 Lt headers high flow cats and boost cam through outlaws

https://vimeo.com/114600186

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my god,there is a devil inside
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better I'm more than happy with mine. SLP
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
What are you basing this on?
Years and years of dyno testing. Flowmaster 80 series and 40 series mufflers are horrific. On H/C/I cars, I've seen cutouts gain 40-50rwhp. Blowmaster, Slowmaster, Flowstopper...these nicknames were coined back in the earliest days of the LS1 for a damn good reason. Probably the only catback that will cost you horsepower is a Flowmaster American Thunder. You'll perform better stock.

The Outlaws, however, are excellent.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
what are you saying..there is no difference in power with any kind of muffler...it's just sound/noise.

just remember if the exhaust has a incredible flow you got the power on the big rpm.if you have back pressure you see power in the low rpm..

i have done a lot of test with exhaust when i have had a golf gti. totally straight,76mm 70mm and mixed..
That is not true. There are restrictive mufflers out there. It just so happens that the stock catalytic converters on the 5th generation Camaro are so terribly inefficient, the muffler isn't the bottleneck. Swap to a longtube header with high flow catalytic converters and your mufflers will start to matter. They will become the bottleneck.

A Flowmaster multi-chambered muffler will likely be the poorest flowing of any mainstream catback, especially when compared to "straight through" designs. The giant stock cans outperform 40-series mufflers. If I were a betting man, I'd bet 40-series mufflers will cost you rwhp versus stock, even. They are known to be that horrifically restrictive. On a LT setup, they will be a serious bottleneck.