Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 1LE
Question for Dylan from Adam's about great white drying towel

I'm sure you can answer this one for me Dylan. I washed my car Saturday morning and did the 2 bucket wash system, sheeted the car with low pressure water, then sprayed detail spray over the car.

When I started to dry the car the towel worked awesome! But I noticed that it was leaving some streaks on certain parts of the car.

My question is did I use too much detail spray and does humidity have something to do with streaks being left on the car?

Thanks in advance!

shadow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
It's fairly normal for some streaking with the DS as it's the gloss enhancers that leave the streaking. A single soft towel will easily buff away the streaks. I generally don't get any streaks if my paint is cool and I do the wipe down in the garage. Hot paint will usually lead to streaking of any product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Drying the car in the sun with deail spray will also cause streaking. I don't use detail spray when drying a car unless I see a water spot on the paint. I will then use detail spray to remove that spot.

Come to think of it, I don't use a towel to dry the car either...

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
When drying with detail spray (especially in the sun) its not so much about finishing streak free as it is about getting the water off safely and quickly without spotting.

The DS is doing 2 things for you... adding some lubrication to the surface to help prevent swirls, and helping to suspend any minerals and prevent potential water spots.

Now, how much you use could have an impact... I literally do one sweeping pull of the trigger per panel, just a VERY light misting, and thats it.

When you've finished drying take a plush towel and the DS to go back and get any small streaks. They should be VERY minimal if anything.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
When drying with detail spray (especially in the sun) its not so much about finishing streak free as it is about getting the water off safely and quickly without spotting.

The DS is doing 2 things for you... adding some lubrication to the surface to help prevent swirls, and helping to suspend any minerals and prevent potential water spots.

Now, how much you use could have an impact... I literally do one sweeping pull of the trigger per panel, just a VERY light misting, and thats it.

When you've finished drying take a plush towel and the DS to go back and get any small streaks. They should be VERY minimal if anything.
Ok thanks Dylan! And my car wasn't in the sun at all during any of the wash and dry process my house gives a good amount of shade till about 11:30am. From what you told me I may have used too much detail spray so next time I'll be sure to lightly mist each panel.

shadow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
I used the great white towel this past weekend, and it didnt soak up any water...what is the trick?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

No trick... it should just soak up water.

Did you wash it prior to use? If so how?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Quote:
No trick... it should just soak up water.

Did you wash it prior to use? If so how?
Took it out of the mailing packet and started using it.

GPC suggested boiling it, I can try that this weekend (any excuse to wash the car).
Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Thats what my next suggestion would be... boil in a pot of water with a couple of oz's of white vinegar. If it continues to give you issues let me know and we'll get you a replacement shipped out.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Quote:
Thats what my next suggestion would be... boil in a pot of water with a couple of oz's of white vinegar. If it continues to give you issues let me know and we'll get you a replacement shipped out.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
I used the great white towel this past weekend, and it didn't soak up any water...what is the trick?
Wow.Sorry. Used one for the first time Sat and one almost completely dried off the entire car in the Shade after a Dawn stripping.Mentioned in a previous post it was probably the best WaffleWeave I have used.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Wow.Sorry. Used one for the first time Sat and one almost completely dried off the entire car in the Shade after a Dawn stripping.Mentioned in a previous post it was probably the best WaffleWeave I have used.
No worries, I am going to try boiling in vinegar. I am optimistic, the rest of the Adams product line works like magic.

OP - didnt mean to jack the thread.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

I used the towel this weekend to dry off my side skirts, and I have to say it worked really well.

So....not sure what happened last week, but it works folks!

PS - I didnt boil it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Adam's Polishes

Well there you go! I love it when things work themselves out