Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I had the OEM tires on last year and we got down to about 25 or so and I experienced the hockey puck tires as the rear end came out on a minute 5-10 mph left hand turn. Today I'm happy to report we hit 15 degrees this morning and I drove it to work on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and not once did it feel like I was about to lose the rear end.
Does anyone know when Michelin will offer these tires in our stock sizes? I really don't want to go with 315's.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I warmed my car up this morning for about 10 minutes before leaving with the low temp of 16 degrees and the tires felt as if they had a flat spot on them and rode like they were frozen. The rear tires felt slick for a few minutes but they warmed up nicely as I observed the tire psi rise up from a low of 25 psi to about 28 psi after arriving at work. I also noticed that the ride felt a little stiff and the tire noise was higher. I will check my tires later on for any cracking. My commute is only about 15 minutes each way so I definitely wanted to get my fluids warmed up before leaving for work.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I warmed my car up this morning for about 10 minutes before leaving with the low temp of 16 degrees and the tires felt as if they had a flat spot on them and rode like they were frozen. The rear tires felt slick for a few minutes but they warmed up nicely as I observed the tire psi rise up from a low of 25 psi to about 28 psi after arriving at work. I also noticed that the ride felt a little stiff and the tire noise was higher. I will check my tires later on for any cracking. My commute is only about 15 minutes each way so I definitely wanted to get my fluids warmed up before leaving for work.
Some of you are pretty brave driving on a tire below 20F when your not supposed to move the car or store the tires below 20F. I just hope something or someone doesn't jump out in front of you because the loss in traction isn't only on acceleration.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Once the OEM tires warm up they are pretty good to go again, takes 10-15 mins though. That said RHL you need to add pressure to your tires...
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #19
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
You guys are putting your lives and the lives of others at risk. The manufacturer states do not drive on these tires below 40 degrees and don't store them below twenty. It is not just the traction, these tires will crack and could break apart. I have seen pictures of the cracked. Personally I wouldn't take the chance.

Sent from a large hammer via tapatalk.

Last edited by Sven59; 01-07-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
It is irresponsible to drive that car with those tires on the roadway with freezing temperatures. I don't get it. Why would you?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #21
Smartguy

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
You guys are putting your lives and the lives of others at risk. The manufacturer states do not drive on these tires below 40 degrees and don't store them below twenty. It is not just the traction, these tire will cracked and could break apart. I have seen pictures of the cracked. Personally I wouldn't take the chance.

Break apart?!?!

Some store in a garage where the tires are well above 40. You can back out and drive just fine.
Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #22
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
Break apart?!?!
Yes. GM issued a warning about the tread cracking, and I have read about tread separation with these tires in cold weather. They are dangerous.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #23
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Quote:
You guys are putting your lives and the lives of others at risk. The manufacturer states do not drive on these tires below 40 degrees and don't store them below twenty. It is not just the traction, these tire will cracked and could break apart. I have seen pictures of the cracked. Personally I wouldn't take the chance.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I don't doubt you guys driving skills but around here it's the other moron that pulls out in front of you and you can't stop! You can buy tires to replace the cracked ones all day long but your also in danger of cracking your skull. If it's your daily guys come on replace the tires for something safe! I took mine off and replaced MPSS and it's still stays in garage!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
It is irresponsible to drive that car with those tires on the roadway with freezing temperatures. I don't get it. Why would you?
Because I needed to take my dog to the vet to board for two nights so she wouldn't freeze to death in my backyard. That good enough for you?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #25
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Some of you are pretty brave driving on a tire below 20F when your not supposed to move the car or store the tires below 20F. I just hope something or someone doesn't jump out in front of you because the loss in traction isn't only on acceleration.
Quote:

I'm going to address the general nay sayers together.

I didn't put anyone's life in danger. Even though there was zero precipitation here, knowing that these tires are not cold weather, I drove because I had to and I drove just as if I expected there to be ice on the road. Going to give you a little hint. This is a college town and the kids weren't back yet, so Monday morning there was almost zero traffic.

Further, as far as storing these things below 20 degrees. Well, it goes below 20 degrees a few days a year here if that. I had a garage when I bought the car. I don't now. Shit happens. Now my tires get cold on those few days. Nothing I can do about it. I'm moving next year, I'd like to move somewhere with a garage, no guarantees. I'll deal with it as I have to.

I wasn't showing off or bragging that I was out hauling ass around in cold weather, simply sharing with people so they might know what to expect in case they have to do the same.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #26
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I'm going to address the general nay sayers together.

I didn't put anyone's life in danger. Even though there was zero precipitation here, knowing that these tires are not cold weather, I drove because I had to and I drove just as if I expected there to be ice on the road. Going to give you a little hint. This is a college town and the kids weren't back yet, so Monday morning there was almost zero traffic.

Further, as far as storing these things below 20 degrees. Well, it goes below 20 degrees a few days a year here if that. I had a garage when I bought the car. I don't now. Shit happens. Now my tires get cold on those few days. Nothing I can do about it. I'm moving next year, I'd like to move somewhere with a garage, no guarantees. I'll deal with it as I have to.

I wasn't showing off or bragging that I was out hauling ass around in cold weather, simply sharing with people so they might know what to expect in case they have to do the same.
I was making a general statement, not directed at you specifically if you notice I said you guys! I have experienced those tires coming out of a warm garage at 40 degrees outside and they were still like hockey pucks. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt, especially if they find out you violated manufactures recommendations, I don't know how that would go in court but not worth it.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #27
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, but not everyone can afford two sets of tires/rims. Some people stretched pretty far to afford a $60k car. Personally, I had no idea about the tires potential to break apart below 40 degrees until driving in that weather. If I had, I would have asked for different tires. I actually think it was irresponsible for GM to put these tires on in the first place. Most of the country experiences 40 degree days in the fall/spring. Is this only a summer car? On the z/28 I get putting these tires on. It is billed as a track car. The ZL1 is supposed to be a capable daily driver. How do they sell these cars in the northern USA without giving you a tire choice? Pisses me off that my salesman didn't warn me either.

In my case, I'm not dropping $5k on tires and rims that I'll only need a few times a year. I'd rather get a lift from my wife. The situation I described about driving in the snow was not my choice. I got stuck late somewhere and the snow started. No other way to get home.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #28
mikebutry

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #54
Send a message via Yahoo to mikebutry
I have driven mine in the snow, ice, rain, wind, you name it. Still have the stock tires with about 14k miles on them too. You can't expect great things to happen when it's not ideal conditions for summer tires.
mikebutry is offline   Reply With Quote