Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICRNU View Post
Nah, the license plate gets enough people upset, they always ask.
That’s a cool plate. I’m sure those FI folks get a kick out of it.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #30
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have a LPW cover in my storage shed I would let it go for $200..new in box if interested I am in Oregon .sold....and yes no one uses STD measurements that's a older not used anymore basically inflated number its all in where dynos were created/correlated in Detroit Michigan and the altitude etc...and dynos can vary so much especially with the tuner having to do a correction factor based on a weather station if they have one connected and if they even have a load bearing dyno. My names Mark, work for the pen..old school Hot rodder. And no my tuner would not let me in the car to drive he's got two lap tops and two electrical engineering degrees I stay the F out of the way...LOL for that kind of money he's using HP tuning, stock gm hard and software , a couple dyno displays and other displays and friggin things that make people wait months to see him..good old Tommy Wong... And to make a true SAE corrected load bearing dyno "cam only" Camaro make 500 you would be in the territory of a lift that makes most aftermarket cams not able to comply and stock pistons needing flycut… I used to run the 235/239 112 lsa TSP cam had .639/.623 lift did like 493 HP and 448 torgue last engine, now I am more into torque and waiting for the next round of $ infusion to small bore ls7 heads and MSD intake etc, and I actually have more torque than HP and love it more...its night and day....anyway just some thoughts..... congratulations too you, theres lots of articles about dynos versus dynos out there and std versus SAE.... its more in it being a tool for future mods and altering the AFR/ timing etc..... But yes its nice to hear them sing on the dyno and that burst of the rich gas WOT as it spins, done it three times..it gets spendy….as tuning is what you pay for with Tommy...other guys may have a dyno and let you do a run for cheap, Tommy its $550 a tune , multiple runs up and you get what you paid for, not some shop with a dyno who will let you do a run for $100 for cheaper thrills …. Heck Here in Salem a lottery winner slapped one in his shop with no one for a tuner just so people can run on it for kick...HP tuning to them is a Hewlett Packard....LOL Good Luck. Heres a old Rhino Post when he was around was a good guy to chat with on the various cams they offered.

and yes I keep parts around ...LOL old parts hoarder builds up stock for next builds..... https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357566
And frankly I don't spin that high ….. when the torque is falling flatter it just shows the engine working harder to gain torque its loosing, and torque is what moves you. That's big reason a new zl1 with 650 ft lbs can beat comparable hellcat with 707 hp; its not got the torque to overcome its weight and has the same torque as the zl1 and a larger blower.....so it could turn up its rev limit and maybe get more HP/ torque but its cam limited also and most likely on the decline on the dyno for power output for the torque that moves you; as others have said...its HP that shows how hard you hit the wall its torque that shows how far you take that wall.....and me; I would and have traded HP for torque a no brainer..look at trucks now and their chips etc...…. But hey run say a 700 lift or 750 lift cam yup theres a lot more HP out there.....stuff we can only dream of affording like massive tunnel rams and dual dominators etc..LOL Old heavy Chevy guy..been there did that for decades. To drool I go here...….
https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/

Last edited by christianchevell; 07-22-2018 at 07:15 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 AM   #31
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I hear you 100%. That's actually where this really shines, not only did it lay down a peak number, but it's a broad power and torque curve. It's ahead of the stock cam from 3250 on up in both HP and torque, and carries out well past the peak. I've had a couple laps on Watkins Glen with the cam, and several before, and I can tell you that, especially with 4.10s, I've always got a good gear for every corner, and the car has NO shortage of power, even in situations where I probably should have been a gear lower.

But don't take my word for it. Here is a before and after overlay, before with CAI/Headers/Exhaust, and after with the Cam, Under-drive, and modded intake manifold.

Also, here is the curve on the dynojet, where I stretch it all the way out to the limiter. Not much give up at all.
Very interesting...

Very nice, within the context of what you seek.

I catch your drift, not too shabby at all.

3000+ range as you mash it looks 👍🏽

Sorry for going OT in a performance oriented thread, but I have a question.
Judging from the graph, I must ask, how does it feel when cruising in 6th gear @ a 75-77ish miles/h, barely touching 1900rpm if at all, if I recall correctly in mine?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Very interesting...

Very nice, within the context of what you seek.

I catch your drift, not too shabby at all.

3000+ range as you mash it looks 👍🏽

Sorry for going OT in a performance oriented thread, but I have a question.
Judging from the graph, I must ask, how does it feel when cruising in 6th gear @ a 75-77ish miles/h, barely touching 1900rpm if at all, if I recall correctly in mine?
Not off topic at all - you don't get something for nothing. So, my car has 4.10 gears so 70mph is like 2000rpm. This particular cam has 19* of overlap, which is A LOT. So, it's not particularly happy under 2000rpm with the throttle mostly closed, the cylinder see the exhaust port as just as good a source for air as the barely open throttle body, so it's prone to reversion, surge, etc with real light loads. So, light cruising at lower speeds (ie. under 55mph the car really doesn't want to be under 2000rpm. If you've got a load on it, it's nice and smooth all the way down to 1400rpm or so, and it'll pull right back up from that RPM no problem.

To your question, at highway cruising speeds, it's nice and smooth, there is enough aero load to keep the throttle cracked open a little more to pretty much eliminate any little stumbles. As far as the torque/power to move the car, that's a non issue. I can be in 6th at 1500rpm at like 55mph and accelerate, up a hill, no problem. If I have no traffic I often can still cruise in 6th gear in the 55-65mph range, I just roll in and out of it to avoid those spots where the throttle is just barely cracked. It's not a question of power, just smoothness, which is to be expected with such an aggressive cam.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #33
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yup I don't touch sixth til 65 but I have 3:45s and cam lope and vacuum loss is bigger with a larger roller cam compared to old school flat tappet cams and I have a idle of 950 and cam surge....bucking can happen below about 1400..stuff like a idle that a old school engine would never see that high and still have a lope to the engine..LOL I have to avoid lugging the engine also its just something you learn to live with at a higher rpm than older hot rod. And thanks for buying the LPW rear cover may it give you many years of tougher rear end and keep it tight and take a licking.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #34
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
...And thanks for buying the LPW rear cover may it give you many years of tougher rear end and keep it tight and take a licking.
Thank you sir - I'll be putting it to good use!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote