Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Custom rear mount turbo 2013 ss

I wanted to spread some of the knowledge I've gained from the almost year long process of boosting my stock 2013 ss convertible. Hopefully it can help others who are going down a similar path.

I went with a rear mount setup because I wanted to keep the downtime to a minimum and I felt that it would keep the difficulty level to within my skill set, I also liked the idea of a cooler engine bay and louder turbo noises.
There is turbo lag. I don't mind it. I will say that there is no accidentally getting into boost on my car.. the boost in my car.. under normal driving it drives like stock.. half throttle provides great torque even when not in boost.

The car and build is viewable on YouTube. Just search for 'man stuff channel'

1. Take how much you think boosting your car will cost, multiply that number by 2 and your almost at the real cost.
2. The small stuff will get you.. 20 for this part, 30 for that part. Adds to thousands real quick.
3. I rear mounted 2 eBay gt35's t3 flange on the stock exhaust piping.. for rear mounting I'd suggest going with a slightly smaller turbo than you would a front mount. The gasses are cooler than off the manifold so the volume of gas is less, a smaller turbo will likely spool faster.
4. Heat wrapping my entire exhaust piping made the car spool about 15/20% faster. A couple of hundred rpm sooner. I used 5 rolls of heat wrap.. (I think that's 250 feet)
5. Heat wrapping my charge pipe inside the engine bay dropped my inlet air temps from 122 to 90 in Florida heat down to about 10/20 degrees above ambient. This was worth doing.
6. My IAT will actually drop under boost. I'm using 3" charge piping into an eBay intercooler (the big one that everyone buys lol.
7. I baught 1000cc fuel injector connection injectors. At 5psi boost they're only at a 33% duty cycle
8. The eBay oil scavenge pump is really loud.. DO NOT BUY IT.
9. I have a billion silicone couplings and haven't blown a single one, make sure you
A.bead roll the pipes
B. Tighten the clamps a lot!!!
C. Double clamp everything (worm drive clamps are fine).
10. To fit my intercooler I had to remove a front support brace. Handling was perceived to be slightly effected. I'd recommend making a new brace.
11. Oil control is key. Make sure you install a check valve on the feed and return side. The check valves are not 100% effective and you will/May get some oil backing up into your turbo when the car sits.
12. My turbos came with water cooling.. the cooling pipes were a pain. I eventually just took the water cooling off.. the turbos are still alive and well.. if skip the water cooling.
13. Disconnect the egr from the intake, I ran both sides into a catch can, before I did this I was inadvertently sending boost into the case.. I switched out the oil cap for a breather which probably saved my engine. Needless to say adding pressure to the case caused the oil to try to exit out of the turbo seals creating a nice smoke screen :-)
14. My rear mount turbos are loud and visable.. when your boosted it's a lot harder to get people to race you..
15. My final solution for getting the charge pipe past the front a arm was to flatten the round pipe to an oval shape (tried and exhausted other methods).. ground clearance is an issue with speed bumps but is about the same as my lowered 94 camaro z28. Avoid speed bumps and you'll be fine.
16. After all the mistakes, buying parts I eventually didn't use etc It wouldn't have cost much more to just buy someone's kit.. I was able to learn a lot and have fun though and if be more than willing to do it again. I've learned an appreciation for other guys who have gone through what I have gone through.. and once you go through it, you will know exactly what I mean.

Hope this helps someone. I'm willing to answer questions.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Abrz_

Drives: camaro 2ss/rs
Any pics? *just saw your YouTube

19 SS Huron speed twin 62/62 turbos

18 ZL1 2650 / port / Holley / New Era Performance stage 3 pd cam / Frankenstein ported heads 9.4 @ 151 3500da
@stalk_zl1
Abrz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I like you comment about doubling your estimate, and I will add, double it, and then add some more.... It is the nickel and dime stuff that add up so much.... I can only imagine how many silicone couplers and worm clamps you had to buy.....

Those that lead and do things first are always going to spend more... My car has been a test bed for just over 8 years now.... But we have gained a metric crap ton of information about what works and what doesn't.....

Nice work doing all of this work yourself....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
FKNGRSY

Drives: 2014 1SS
Very cool seeing guys running diy kits. You have any pictures?
FKNGRSY is offline   Reply With Quote