Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
Arthur 818

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/Fully Loaded
Send a message via AIM to Arthur 818
For the freaks that love MANUAL

Im 18 years old and i wish i had manual to drive...Since i was a kid my dad and grandparents all drove manual...So i was always fascinated by it...when i turned 12 my pops switched the car and got a brand new AUTOMATIC transmission mercedes E-Class...after that i had no chance of learning it...So now im 18 and driving an A6 CAMARO...When i told him i wanted to get manual he laughed at me...I cant blame them...they dont really care anymore..they rather have an luxury and a smooth car rather then a beast muscle car like the CAMARO....Today i drove my friends manual bmw m3 and shifting gears is as fun as it looks....i got the hang of it after stalling it a few times lol..basically it was an amazing experience...so my question would be would it be easy to master manual...because in a few years my next car is going to be manual for sure...maybe a 6th gen SS would be nice haha ...so whats your opinion...you think it would be an upgrade from auto to manual lol ?? is it worth it (especially at that age)...whats your opinion...
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
MTMTE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Transformer Edition
For me it was multiple items, my drive to work, traffic conditions, how much would I actually be racing, could I master the paddel shifter.

I stop at approx. eight stop signs on the way to work, sit in traffic regularly for 20 min or more, have not raced anyone (seriously) and am getting really good with the paddel shifter, once I think I'm good enough Ill go against some manuals to see if I can hang.

I can drive a stick, very easily, but found that the automatic was the way to go. Say what you want about me, but most of the Camaros were made with the automatic so most of us are in the same boat.

Choose for yourself, what someone says about you, shouldn't matter, you have to drive the car. Get something you are gonna have fun with and be comfortable in.
MTMTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Arthur 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMTE View Post
For me it was multiple items, my drive to work, traffic conditions, how much would I actually be racing, could I master the paddel shifter.

I stop at approx. eight stop signs on the way to work, sit in traffic regularly for 20 min or more, have not raced anyone (seriously) and am getting really good with the paddel shifter, once I think I'm good enough Ill go against some manuals to see if I can hang.

I can drive a stick, very easily, but found that the automatic was the way to go. Say what you want about me, but most of the Camaros were made with the automatic so most of us are in the same boat.

Choose for yourself, what someone says about you, shouldn't matter, you have to drive the car. Get something you are gonna have fun with and be comfortable in.
Same here bro haha...the traffic is CA is too much for manual....but i think if you have interest in the beginning you will love it no matter what...id love to have any manual car just to mess around with it untill i got it mastered...driving is easy anyone can do it...especially paddle shifters....it comes close but doesn't feel anything like driving stick....
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur 818 View Post
Same here bro haha...the traffic is CA is too much for manual....but i think if you have interest in the beginning you will love it no matter what...id love to have any manual car just to mess around with it untill i got it mastered...driving is easy anyone can do it...especially paddle shifters....it comes close but doesn't feel anything like driving stick....
I live in CA as well and traffic did not stop me from getting a manual. My first car was a 2005 mustang automatic. The camaro is my 2nd car and I wanted a stick. So ordered one that way I would have to learn haha. In a car like this a manual is a must imo.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
Arthur 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I live in CA as well and traffic did not stop me from getting a manual. My first car was a 2005 mustang automatic. The camaro is my 2nd car and I wanted a stick. So ordered one that way I would have to learn haha. In a car like this a manual is a must imo.
Honestly how long did it take you to master it haha ?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
Honestly how long did it take you to master it haha ?
I started practicing in the beginning of the year on my cousins 2000 ford ranger. I ordered on february 13 and it was delivered on march 24. I practiced like a few times a week just in the neighborhood while I waited for my car to be built. When the car came in I had my dad drive it home and practiced that night and the next day. The day after I had it down and I drove it to school . It was a lot easier than the truck I practiced on.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Arthur 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I started practicing in the beginning of the year on my cousins 2000 ford ranger. I ordered on february 13 and it was delivered on march 24. I practiced like a few times a week just in the neighborhood while I waited for my car to be built. When the car came in I had my dad drive it home and practiced that night and the next day. The day after I had it down and I drove it to school . It was a lot easier than the truck I practiced on.
Sounds good man....So if a get a car like a manual Vette in few years you think I would have a chance...how old are you anyway ?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
Dmundz

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2SS/RS
I started driving stick in my first car which was a 87 daytona. Honestly I think the biggest problem some people have in learning is the basic concept of how a clutch works. If you understand the basics learning will come very easy. You may still have the odd stall off a stop but really nothing you won't figure out as you go.
Dmundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #9
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
Sounds good man....So if a get a car like a manual Vette in few years you think I would have a chance...how old are you anyway ?
Yeah its pretty easy to get the hang of and a lot of fun. I will be 21 in 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmundz View Post
I started driving stick in my first car which was a 87 daytona. Honestly I think the biggest problem some people have in learning is the basic concept of how a clutch works. If you understand the basics learning will come very easy. You may still have the odd stall off a stop but really nothing you won't figure out as you go.
I occasionally stall in fast food drive thrus haha

Old 07-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I...can't...say...for...sure...right...now........ ....too..many...dots...to...think...clearly...

But really- I wouldn't trade your current car, but if you're interested in manual then you know what to do when gen 6 rolls around.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
Arthur 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I...can't...say...for...sure...right...now........ ....too..many...dots...to...think...clearly...

But really- I wouldn't trade your current car, but if you're interested in manual then you know what to do when gen 6 rolls around.
LOL foshoo
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
all my Camaro's have been automatics, and I love my L99, the tapshift is awesome.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
PennState
We are...

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
go with manual, its awesome and in the camaros the clutch is like a feather, pops out real easily, very easy to drive...you can learn it in no time, I know it took me like 20 mins to learn it

$35 Gets you your very own Custom Car Show Poster
2007 Alloy GT Premium
2006 Black V6 Premium - (R.I.P - 3.20.2010)
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport - (Sold)
PennState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
mjf6866

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T 6-speed 3.92 rear
Location: sitting on an angry chair with angry walls that steal the air
like other have said it all depends on what you do with your car. my challenger is my weekend fun car and i wouldnt have gotten it if it didnt come with a manual. they are a blast when you can let the car stretch its legs, but not so fun in traffic. my 73 road runner is an auto and a fun cruiser because of it. my civic hatch daily driver is a stick too, which is about the only thing that makes that car "fun" to drive on a daily basis! that there should be proof enough on how fun manuals are!
-HopNot total package
-275/50-17 M&H drag radials on mustang cobra r's for track days
future mods:
-hurst shifter
-exhaust
-custom tune
-driver mod
mjf6866 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning manual, manual, manual transmission