Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
bbdmac

Drives: Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS
For those long rides try taking 4-5 pounds of pressure out of the tires. You won't track the ruts and lines in the road as badly. Just make sure you don't leave them that low or the DIC will be reminding you to fill them up!
bbdmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
sprtplt

Drives: Corvette
I have always had performance cars and the SS suspension seems VERY firm. I come up off the seat over not so big bumps.
Not a problem, I like the firm suspension, just surprising.
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Look into compatible GM/aftermarket components

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynerJersey110 View Post
" My wife has a history of back probs, so ride quality is #1. She owns the Synergy, and ride was a big purchase point with her. We took an overnight ride to Central PA, and she was in such pain from the rough ride !!!"
Hello SynerJersey110!!

I normally do not reply to ride quality or suspension settings posts as these are 99& of the time related to personal perception or individual preferences and there is seldomly consensous on the issue.

Your wife condition or need is an entirely different issue, however.

Like any decent human being I would like that she and yourself get to enjoy your car purchase, undisturbed and in good health, to the fullest extent possible.

I do not know if you owned any muscle car previously.

My experience of 16 years with a Gen4 F-Body is that any and all non-original suspension parts, systems or mods available for muscle cars tend to be designed or marketed (unfortunately not always the same thing as it should be, right???) on the premise of improving a certain aspect of the performance parameters of the car.

Whether it is to improve immediate weight transfer, compensate for tire sidewall deflection ('80s and 90's F-Bodies), reduce body roll or pitch, or several other aspects of motion dynamics, the common feature of these parts is that whatever performance improvement they promise usually comes at the expense of ride quality (human comfort).

Therefore it is improbable that you can solve your issue resorting to aftermarket equipment.

Having said this, and save for the possibility that your car may have an unsual suspension glitch that can be cured through the dealer technical service, I think your best bet would be to cross check for other non-sport GM vehicles more geared towards comfort than performance which might use compatible suspension parts .

For instance, mounting bushings are a component that substantially affects the behavior of a vehicle and often they are compatible in sizes across a range of vehicles from the same manufacturer.
Softer bushings can make the ride more complaint for your wife and yet are a relatively inexpensive modification.

Just keep in mind that the CAMARO is a heavy car (about or over 4,000 pounds with driver inside) so before jumping to replace bushings or any other non-CAMARO specific part make sure to get a qualified technical opinion (way above a mechanic's shop opinion) and also to get your local dealer aware (I asume you car is new) of this and have him/her confirm the effect of such replacement in your car's warranty.

Next in line would be to search for compatible shock absorbers and/or springs but that would be certainly be a more expensive and involved modification so if I were in your place I'd start with the bushings.

All the above, however, is based on the assumption that you both are not going to use the car for perfomance/sport events nor that you will drive your car in any other way than at commuter pace or touring pace.
Once you effect any non-performance mod to any sports car, the range of dynamic performance of the vehicle would be hindered or seriously compromised.

Wish you and your wife the best of luck and safe riding,

The Flash
Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Here's my question. Is your 2LT a RS? A lot of your ride will depend on the tires. The 2LT without RS comes with 19" all season tires that have more give because of the sidewall. I believe the RS and SS has the same tires. My 2LT has a better ride than my Nissan Altima 3.5 SE because it has very little sidewalls.

The only reason I didn't get the RS is because of the only summer tires and inability to rotate them. I wanted a comfortable/low maintenance daily driver.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #19
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
What you are feeling is normal but IMHO the stock suspension of the SS is soft. The wheel hop is normal, especially when the back tires are still cold.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
Eldnearb
Chevy for life...

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Black
Send a message via MSN to Eldnearb Send a message via Yahoo to Eldnearb
once the weather warms up it will be smoother. but yes I commented on the ride too. the performance suspension leaves you feeling the road. smooth road and speed makes it better.
Eldnearb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I've had my 2011 1LT RS for about six weeks now and love it but I think the ride is very firm, not that I didn't think it would be. I traded in a modded 2005 Impala SS that I lowered on Eibach's and that ride was pretty darn firm but this one is more so even. It about makes me hit my head on the roof when I go over a decent bump at about 55. If the SS's is firmer yet that'd be borderline uncomfortable at times I would suspect.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i can put in a nice set of pedders/gmpp xa coilovers and you can adjust the ride to how ever you want it to be, soft and plush or ss style firm =) also check your tire pressure as they can effect your ride quality too
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
SynerJersey110

Drives: 2011 2SS BLK, 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
Did you buy the SS new or used?
We bought the car new...
SynerJersey110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #24
SynerJersey110

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Hello SynerJersey110!!

I normally do not reply to ride quality or suspension settings posts as these are 99& of the time related to personal perception or individual preferences and there is seldomly consensous on the issue.

Your wife condition or need is an entirely different issue, however.

Like any decent human being I would like that she and yourself get to enjoy your car purchase, undisturbed and in good health, to the fullest extent possible.

I do not know if you owned any muscle car previously.

My experience of 16 years with a Gen4 F-Body is that any and all non-original suspension parts, systems or mods available for muscle cars tend to be designed or marketed (unfortunately not always the same thing as it should be, right???) on the premise of improving a certain aspect of the performance parameters of the car.

Whether it is to improve immediate weight transfer, compensate for tire sidewall deflection ('80s and 90's F-Bodies), reduce body roll or pitch, or several other aspects of motion dynamics, the common feature of these parts is that whatever performance improvement they promise usually comes at the expense of ride quality (human comfort).

Therefore it is improbable that you can solve your issue resorting to aftermarket equipment.

Having said this, and save for the possibility that your car may have an unsual suspension glitch that can be cured through the dealer technical service, I think your best bet would be to cross check for other non-sport GM vehicles more geared towards comfort than performance which might use compatible suspension parts .

For instance, mounting bushings are a component that substantially affects the behavior of a vehicle and often they are compatible in sizes across a range of vehicles from the same manufacturer.
Softer bushings can make the ride more complaint for your wife and yet are a relatively inexpensive modification.

Just keep in mind that the CAMARO is a heavy car (about or over 4,000 pounds with driver inside) so before jumping to replace bushings or any other non-CAMARO specific part make sure to get a qualified technical opinion (way above a mechanic's shop opinion) and also to get your local dealer aware (I asume you car is new) of this and have him/her confirm the effect of such replacement in your car's warranty.

Next in line would be to search for compatible shock absorbers and/or springs but that would be certainly be a more expensive and involved modification so if I were in your place I'd start with the bushings.

All the above, however, is based on the assumption that you both are not going to use the car for perfomance/sport events nor that you will drive your car in any other way than at commuter pace or touring pace.
Once you effect any non-performance mod to any sports car, the range of dynamic performance of the vehicle would be hindered or seriously compromised.

Wish you and your wife the best of luck and safe riding,

The Flash
Flash,
Thanks, I appreciate your input & opinion. The car is stock, except for the K&N air filter.
I'm taking the car back to the dealer where it was purchased, as I would hope if it is something mechanical, then it SHOULD be covered under warranty.
We have owned a few Vettes in the past, a '76, '86, and an '04. BY far, the '04 had the most comfortable ride out of the other two Vettes. We actually traded in the Vette for my wife's 2010 Synergy Green. We also owned a 1996 Impala SS, which rode great & had the Vette motor, the best of both worlds !!!
I'm not planning on racing the car, just maybe beat around with the horses every once in a while...
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
1badSS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow Transformers pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSiick View Post
Yes the SS models have a performance suspension. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the suspension, youre just used to the ride quality of the LT. Nonetheless it doesnt hurt to get checked out!
1badSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
SynerJersey110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
Here's my question. Is your 2LT a RS? A lot of your ride will depend on the tires. The 2LT without RS comes with 19" all season tires that have more give because of the sidewall. I believe the RS and SS has the same tires. My 2LT has a better ride than my Nissan Altima 3.5 SE because it has very little sidewalls.

The only reason I didn't get the RS is because of the only summer tires and inability to rotate them. I wanted a comfortable/low maintenance daily driver.
Thanks. No, the car is not a RS. The 2010 Synergy Green came as a package, basically a 1LT with 2LT options, such as rims, tires, interior illuminated door panels, USB & bluetooth, etc. The only things different than a 2LT were cloth seats & no HID headlights

Last edited by SynerJersey110; 04-19-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #27
revron

Drives: camaro 2lt rs auto silver
When I first got our 2lt/rs, the wife and I both thought the ride was alittle to soft, so I put in a set of bmr lowered springs.
I'm waiting for the zl1.

revron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #28
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynerJersey110 View Post
Thanks. No, the car is not a RS. The 2010 Synergy Green came as a package, basically a 1LT with 2LT options, such as rims, tires, interior illuminated door panels, USB & bluetooth, etc. The only things different than a 2LT were cloth seats & no HID headlights
Then that's why your Lt rides better than the SS. The different suspension and tires. Just make sure your tires are balanced on the SS.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote