Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
lsuduke

Drives: 06 Saturn Vue
My Camaro observations with pics

First let me say I love the look of the new Camaro and have since it first came out as a concept. And I have waited since then to see, touch and feel a new 5th gen. Well, that happened last night, and it was epic.... The look, that profile the details I have picked off of all your posts and photos and all over the internet, all there for me to finally digest at the same time. It was a Aqua blue V6 with alloys, looking oh so nice in the nice heated convention center away from the snow and ice of a Rochester winter. I climbed in and found that huge rocker panel bump that I prayed would be gone from previous Camaros, disappointed with that huge lump as you got in and out of the car. Then it appeared that there was no head room , I'm 6'6 and close to 300lbs but I found the power adjustment and the seat lowered to a nice comfortable level, no issue there. I held the wheel and looked at the gauges, just as I had seen in a million pics on the net, perfect, the seats were comfortable and supportive. I felt cocooned in the cockpit and knew long drives would be met with comfort for a long time. Took some shots to post for all of you inside and then looked for the rear seat room, there was none, with the seat adjusted back for me , there was zero room for the kids in the back, now some of you may not care, but I have a family and I want to be able to go on a cruise with the kids to pickup some ice cream or just for a cruise to nowhere on a nice Sunday afternoon, that daydream is gone, there was more room in my 91 RS and the main reason I got rid of it was that car seats would have been an issue when my kids came along.
Love the car, love the look, hope it continues forever, but at this time the Camaro makes no sense for me and my family. It's not about being a daily driver, I have those that are large enough for the family and the dogs and camping gear for a weekend, but if you make a car with 4 seats you should be able to use them , anybody over 6 ft who wants to take some people for a ride will have serious issues in my opinion. Don't take this as an attack, it is not, I love Camaro and Chevy to the core but this comrade is not the one I had hoped for, it needs to be stretched to a larger size similar to the Challenger to allow more varied use, in my opinion. Enjoy the picks, enjoy your Camaro's when they come, I'll test drive one myself at some point but it will just have to remain a dream for me ....
Attached Images

lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
That sucks dude. I feel your pain.

I, however am about half your size and my wife is smaller than me of course so our kids are like little hobbits.

How bout the interior as a whole. What did it 'say' to you?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
Why don't you take Indian Camaro
Attached Images

Enator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Sorry to hear that. I am 6'2" and I was able to fit in the front comfortably with my wife sitting in the back seat. She said that she wouldn't want to have to take a 8 hour road trip back there but she was still comfortable. This is a toy car to us and if we want to take a cruise, the kids will fit fine in their car seats and without the car seats when they get a little older.

The mustang back seats are a joke, the challenger back seats are usable, the camaro back seats are manageable.
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I totaly get lsu's concern. But I'm not buying this car for the back seats. Both our other cars are 'Family' type cars. Jeep Liberty, (was hers) IS350, (is hers) So this is for me and one other at a time.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Sorry to hear that. I am 6'3", and have had my 6'4" buddy sitting in the back seat of my little Chevy Cobalt before. He didn't want to be there for long trips, but a few hours wasn't a problem. I can't believe this is a problem in a larger car like the Camaro?? Especially for kids? Mind you, i sat in the back of a new Rustang (07), and there was less backseat space then in my Cobalt... so maybe you should look at getting the new Cobalt SS!

And you have to make a car for the masses too, some people want it smaller, some want it bigger, some want it safer, and the next wants it lighter. You have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Paintcode40

Drives: Silver Chevy
Cool

I JUST DON'T SEE "CAMARO" AS A FAMILY CAR. IT CAN BE FORCED TO BE ONE. THE BACK SEAT IS FOR HTE INS. CO'S IF IT HAD TWO SEATS IT WOULD BE HIGHER TO COVER IT. BUT HELL IF I HAD A FAMILY I'D STUFF THEM IN CUZ I'M SELFISH THAT WAY, WHEN IT COMES TO MY CARS.

Name:  Copy of pc40sig.gif
Views: 1168
Size:  12.5 KB
Paintcode40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I continue to say that people are being unrealistic when they approach this car! This car isn't a four seater its a 2+2 always been tight always been limited on room.If your looking for something to fit your family with Camaro get , get a G8. Thats what a sport sedan is for. Not a 2+2 sport coupe
Old 02-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown

Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
This is exactly what I stated a couple of weeks ago when I gotta chance to get in the car here in Jacksonville,The backseat is about useless for any normal size adult,I mean my head was hitting the damn headliner and I'm only 5'10"So just be real about this people,I don't care if your momma's cousin's sister son sat back there,It's a two seater,and I would'nt ask anybody to get back there for any amount of time,MAYBE a child that don't know any better...............
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.700rwhp/712rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

A CAMARO HAS NEVER OR WILL EVER BE A FAMILY CAR. THIS IS A FAMILY CAR.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
It's a Camaro, the backseat has never been made for an adult.

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
okyankee

Drives: 2010 SILVERADO
what about the footwells? i got a size 13 and was wondering about feet space for shifiting. i am 6'5" and also close to 300. i am not round fat but more square if that makes sense. my nickname is sponge bob if that helps. headroom can be fixed by leaning the seat back but i was just curious about the space for legs and feet for shifiting. we have the car show coming here, hopefully they have a camaro.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
Not to be mean, but at 6' 6" I'm surprised you're not sitting in the back seat ....

this is one time I'm glad to be short, most of the time it's a real pain, but at least I can fit is most cars. I feel sorry you tall guys !! There can't be a lot of car's that are comfortable for you !

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Boba Vette

Drives: 68 GTO, 85 TA, 94 TA, 99 TA,10 Gen5
Man, I wish I could've sat in one back when they had the Camaro in LA!

I'm 6'3" / 245lbs, my wife is 5'11" / ~200lbs and our kids are no slouches, so the back seat is important to me. I mean, the whole reason I'm holding out for the Camaro is because it has 4-seats and I've got the aforementioned 2yr old twins.

If I don't get a usable 4-seats, I might as well just get one of the many C6's that aren't selling nowadays.