Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
It Happened Zero Oil Pressure

Gave my son the Car for the weekend so he could cruise the north country
he woke up this morning fired the car to head off to work and zero oil pressure

Time to order up the Melling oil pump timing chain and new tensioner..

anything else while we are in there??
Black CIA -Powder Coated Red Air Scoop - Vmax Ported Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Dynatek Headers - High Flow Cats out thru factory Cat Back - JRE rough idle cam package - Trunion Upgrade - Valve Springs - Hardened Push rods - 3 bolt timing gear - SLP Under drive pully- Washer bottle relo kit - Hurst Short Throw Shifter with updated pin bushing from C5 member NH-SS - IdealG's improved Master Cylinder - GTO Clutch reservoir - L99 Brake Reservoir - Stainless Braided clutch line - wrapped up with a JRE Tune My SS layed down 462 hp on JRE's Superflow Dyno
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
this issue scares the crap out of me....
Old 09-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Melling high volume. Katech C5R Timing Chain and LS2 dampner.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Melling high volume. Katech C5R Timing Chain and LS2 dampner.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
RogerBzSS

Already JRE Cam'd n Tuned

Ted put a package of replacement parts together for me and shipping it today.
Black CIA -Powder Coated Red Air Scoop - Vmax Ported Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Dynatek Headers - High Flow Cats out thru factory Cat Back - JRE rough idle cam package - Trunion Upgrade - Valve Springs - Hardened Push rods - 3 bolt timing gear - SLP Under drive pully- Washer bottle relo kit - Hurst Short Throw Shifter with updated pin bushing from C5 member NH-SS - IdealG's improved Master Cylinder - GTO Clutch reservoir - L99 Brake Reservoir - Stainless Braided clutch line - wrapped up with a JRE Tune My SS layed down 462 hp on JRE's Superflow Dyno
Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
lsuguy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
With all of the Comp Cam breakdowns I would make sure that the oil pressure issue isn't related to metal from something breaking down. Drain your oil and cut open your filter to make sure you are good to go. Would hate for you to go through the trouble of changing out parts only to have the same issue again.

Speaking from first hand experience!
lsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
RogerBzSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuguy View Post
With all of the Comp Cam breakdowns I would make sure that the oil pressure issue isn't related to metal from something breaking down. Drain your oil and cut open your filter to make sure you are good to go. Would hate for you to go through the trouble of changing out parts only to have the same issue again.

Speaking from first hand experience!
Yep will do
Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Why wasn't it upgraded when everything else was? That's when I've noticed most do it. Hind site is 20/20....Not that it really matters now
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
RogerBzSS

didnt think it was needed when the car had 4000 miles on it and it was in. yep hind site 20/20, glad we caught it while it wasnt being pushed..
Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
I can't imagine this was a random failure, plenty of stock LS3 cars out there running the stock pump with no issue. It seems like most oil pump failures are in cars that have something done to them.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Lost my oil pump a month ago. Cam came apart. I would absolutely pull that thing ot and look at it before buttoning it all back up. Dont rely on the lifters to prove anything. All my lifters looked perfect. Almost didnt pull the cam out because of that. Needed the grind number off the back of it and saw 10 lobes completely trashed.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
I have no idea why on this forum there are so many oil pump failures. It seem like gm knew they were getting rid of the ls family of engines and put all the bad oil pumps that were laying around in these cars to use them up. I think if you have a melling oil pump installed it shouldn't void your warranty.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
I have no idea why on this forum there are so many oil pump failures. It seem like gm knew they were getting rid of the ls family of engines and put all the bad oil pumps that were laying around in these cars to use them up. I think if you have a melling oil pump installed it shouldn't void your warranty.
Millions and millions of LS engine running with no problems. A few posts on a forum and now there is an epidemic.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #14
TXM62SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Millions and millions of LS engine running with no problems. A few posts on a forum and now there is an epidemic.

Roto-Fab, Bo White TB, Borla Touring Catback
3.91 1LE Gears, MGW
Tuned by Pat G

TXM62SS is offline   Reply With Quote