Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #29
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Well, get in, shut up, hold on .................why wouldn't it be different?
How does that make ANY sense at all?
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #30
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
Remove the Can before taking to the dealer...

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvyankee2 View Post
My Option. Keep all my stock parts and put them back on before the tow truck comes.
I'd have it towed to my house. I'd remove my catch can and return it to stock. I'd pay for a 2nd tow to the dealer. Would not touch this Voided Warranty problem with a 10 meter cattle prod...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #31
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I read that as well. But also understand that necessity is the mother of invention.

GM should just buy out the Elite patent and start putting them on all their vehicles. Especially Direct Injection!
Agree on the direct injection....
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #32
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
It doesn't have to. For many here, trolling is the best part my friend. Let's start 10 more threads about nothing but speculation, while only one person here has a genuine issue with their GM product.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #33
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No one will ever give any information out on this subject until possibly when it's concluded one way or the other. This is between the gentleman with the issue and GM. My guess is the "right" thing will be done which ever way it goes.
I have worked for a small manufacturer, a franchisor, a Mega corporation that sells truck parts, mostly in sales and service, in all 50 states for 42 years. I have kissed more customer ass on so-called warranty and simple service issues that I should have stock in Chap-Stik. In almost every case, we all asked ourselves if honoring a 'suspect' part or warranty would serve the greater good of sales - you know, that silly little thing that funds R&D and such. In almost every case, we honored an implied warranty even when we clearly didn't have to. But...there were those cases where it was the boss, the dept head or the effing moon phase, where we simply did not. I cannot recall a single instance where honoring a warranty didn't have a positive impact. In the age of social media, I think you'd be best served by repairing or replacing this engine. Right or wrong, the OP would almost certainly buy another GM product down the line of this were fixed soon.

Notice I didn't say they should make it right. "Right" is subjective and messy when it comes to the ol bottom line. And bottom line is what it's all about. Good will is a hard-earned commodity. Give it a comfortable seat when it presents itself. Do you want his next car to be a Dodge, Ford or Chevrolet? Your call.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #34
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Well ask a .......... question get a .......... answer, let you fill in the blanks.

Actually though your question, if one could call it that, has been answered more than once in this thread.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #35
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
really

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
take a look at this catch can and the additional drain back feature. The company designs systems with the proper back pressure given specs and features of the intended application. Perhaps GM has determined that the can used fails to meet their requirements. No doubt starving for oil if low oil level is grounds for warranty denial. As noted in the article, many catch cans fail to have the proper back pressure to catch residual oil as well as possibly too much restriction to properly allow for upper cylinder lubrication. Sounds like the manufacturers of the aftermarket parts need to chime in.
http://www.grupoherres.com/v3/intro/boletin/mann.pdf

there is no way a catch can can starve a engine from oil... its on the other end of the train......
etc: caboose vs the engine...
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #36
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
One only has to search and see the thousands of people with a PROPER system installed to see this is the first case in 15 years and 100,000 plus proper cans (lots of snake oil junk out there people are buying/installing that can be grounds) installed to experience this, and it is the dealer/tech that screwed up and are the cause of his issues w/GM. There are always "unscrupulous" dealers out there, and they range from one 6-7 years ago voiding a owners warranty on his new Corvette fro doing his own spark plug change to some doing the same for a simple CAI installed, where both would have fallen under Federal law protecting them (see Magnasun/Moss act). This is extremely rare, but what needs to be done is spread the word to every forum possible on staying away from any dealer that would treat a customer such as this one has. And GM is basing their stance on inaccurate information from the tech and dealer. Patronize the "good" dealers, and warn all away from the few "Bad" dealers such as this one.

Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #37
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
just fyi - an install for oil pump will run in the 700-1k range, depending on how much your shop charges for labor. If you're gonna go that far, may as well do a cam while you've got the motor torn down that far...then if a cam, why not heads, too....hopefully you've already got headers/intake....

does it ever end?!?!?!!!!

The best quote I got for all that work was $3800 out the door for an L99, much cheaper on an LS3.

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #38
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post

Notice I didn't say they should make it right. "Right" is subjective and messy when it comes to the ol bottom line. And bottom line is what it's all about. Good will is a hard-earned commodity. Give it a comfortable seat when it presents itself. Do you want his next car to be a Dodge, Ford or Chevrolet? Your call.
Not to mention all of us watching this who might be on the fence as to which brand gets their hard-earned money...

Boy I imagine these aftermarket companies are watching this REAL closely. I mean if GM is adopting this as "new policy" on how they're going to handle warranty claims in the future they'll effectively be putting all these vendors out of business. Catch-cans, throttle controllers, cold-air-intakes, who's going to be buying them if GM goes "hardcore" on this deny-warranty issue?
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #39
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Well ask a .......... question get a .......... answer, let you fill in the blanks.

Actually though your question, if one could call it that, has been answered more than once in this thread.
So, let me just state: you originally said you would sell your GM to buy a Ford or Dodge. My statement was the fact that all manufacturers have some stipulation, if not the same pertaining to modifications to a warranty on a stock product whether or not to cover a repair under warranty. How does that make this a ............. (cute dots by the way) question? you are way off base my friend.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #40
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I understand the concept of the catch can, but why the need on a vehicle that has a 100K powertrain warranty? Car manufacturers have the best automotive engineers on the planet. If something happens based on the original design, and it's covered under warranty, why care or better yet, why risk your warranty? All you are doing is trying to prevent a problem that would be fixed for free anyways. What am I missing?
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #41
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast16SS View Post
I understand the concept of the catch can, but why the need on a vehicle that has a 100K powertrain warranty? Car manufacturers have the best automotive engineers on the planet. If something happens based on the original design, and it's covered under warranty, why care or better yet, why risk your warranty? All you are doing is trying to prevent a problem that would be fixed for free anyways. What am I missing?
Economies of scale? Manufacturers, especially manufacturers that make hundreds of thousands of product will split hairs over fractions of pennies. The cost of adding the oil separator (catch-can) on every single Camaro ever made vs. the cost of warranty claims from the problems caused by NOT having an oil separator possibly?
Maybe somewhere some bean-counter decided it'd be cheaper to fix any issues rather than add the production cost to possibly prevent them?

On the other hand this thinking can really bite you in the .... Say for instance you have issues with some part and it needs to be redesigned and to save cost you don't re-engineer it like you should but just give it a new part number and keep using it. Well that part was an ignition switch and I think we all know how that worked out for them...

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 05-11-2016 at 10:58 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #42
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
GM recently dropped the engine warranty on the new vehicles to almost half the 100k to 60k do to the issues the GDI engines have with this oil and other compound caused intake valve coking and related issues. Watch as others do the same.

With a proper system like the Elite E2 or E2-X, the average fuel economy will improve 1-3 MPG by eliminating the detonation caused by the oil ingestion via the intake air charge (they are in the 90-95% effectiveness range vs most cans that are in the 15-20% effectiveness). So if one does not address this several things occur. For the port injection LS engines you have the detonation as described that the ECU pulls timing to stop, and that in it'self results in reduced power and fuel economy, and over time the residue from this ingestion that forms on the rings and in the ringlands can cause the rings to stick and not seal properly increasing blow-by and oil consumption (how many check oil every fuel up and see using oil?). On a GDI engine such as the LLT/LFX/LGX V6 and now the LT1 GDI V8 for 2016 Camaro's, the intake valve coking is a serious issue that as well as other problems prematurely wears out the valve guides and the power loss from the deposits forming on the valves also cost MPG, etc. Here is an example of a LT1 with 20k miles and no Elite system installed with before and after dynos showing the power that was regained after a manual intake valve cleaning. Those that want to care the best for their engines and are not just trading in a few years will want to avoid all of this:

So it is far more than worrying about an engine failure, as this coking will most likely not result in engine failure, but will cause poor running, drivability, fuel economy and power.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote