Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #71
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Personally, I love the sound lol. Actually kinda pisses me off when I roll to a stop and they DON'T squeal, but that's just me lol.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #72
tmurray37

Drives: rs 2010 camero
rs 2010

I have a 2010 rs camero and it always squeals Sound like a junker. I had it looked at and come to find out the pads were defective on the rs model made before july of 2009 I would recommend anyone with this model have it looked out They got so bad my pads were completely gone and gm didnt even bother to notify ppl that bought this model there was a problem and that they fixed it in cars made after july of 09 even my rotors needed to be replaced and I have 16000 miles on it
tmurray37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #73
tmurray37

Drives: rs 2010 camero
I have a 2010 rs camero and it always squeals Sound like a junker. I had it looked at and come to find out the pads were defective on the rs model made before july of 2009 I would recommend anyone with this model have it looked out They got so bad my pads were completely gone and gm didnt even bother to notify ppl that bought this model there was a problem and that they fixed it in cars made after july of 09 even my rotors needed to be replaced and I have 16000 miles on it
tmurray37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #74
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
My brakes haven't started to squeal yet, but if they do I will do one of two things...probably both. First, I obviously will need a louder exhaust system to cover up any obnoxious sounds coming from the brakes. Second, I will turn the stereo up. What I can't hear can't bother me.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 AM   #75
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Mine are doing it too, and BAD. As soon as my speed drops below 5mph, here comes the loud ass squeak letting everyone on all 4 corners of the street know I've arrived...

Have an appointment set a the dealer to try and eliminate it. Under warranty, as the car has just under 3,000 miles.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #76
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamaroKidSS View Post
I've had the same problem occur to my SS. The brakes squeal like crazy when you are going to a slow stop. Ive taken it to the dealership several times, had them replaced and they still squeal. They eventually said "well, thats just what they do, get used to it." I agree with you that there has to be some fix for it, I just dont believe this is something unfixable. I didnt pay all that money to be completely embarrassed to stop my car around anyone. Its horrible to have the first thing people say to you when you stop "Wow, whats wrong with your brakes?" Mine actually quit for a while and I thought they were fixed but it is back and just as bad as before. I really want an answer from GM other than "well thats just what they do".

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:58 AM   #77
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
I've read the whole thread trying to find a solution to my squeal problem (4000 miles). If I brake gently -they squeal loudly but, if I brake hard - no squeal. ( I like to drive gently )
The brakes seems to have normal wear. I have not taken it to the dealer yet for the TSB.

I thought I would just change the pads to Hawks ceramics but, I noticed that solution is not a solution stated by someone here right? ( I really want to be able to just change the pads and solve the problem)

I have the problem on the driver's front-side. Will changing rotors and pads eliminate the squeal? If so, what rotor and pads?
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 AM   #78
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
High-pitched brake squeal is caused by a high-frequency vibration between the pad and the rotor. Brake noise is not caused solely by the brake pad. The brake rotor diameter, and stiffness of the disc are also factors in the offending noise. Metallic-Carbon pads (as opposed to organic (asbestos) pads) typically produce more inherent noise than the older organic pads. Different brake pad manufacturers use different and varying amounts of substances in their pads: Iron, Copper, Zinc, Other Alloys, Lead, Carbon, Ceramic compounds, Kevlar, and numerous other fillers. This variation in pad composition, geometric design of the pad, and the stiffness (density) of the pad material itself can also contribute to the noise. Lastly, all of these factors can be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

Now, how do I fix it?
#1: Make sure you have straight and true surfaces on your rotors and pads. Turn, or replace rotors as necessary- do the same with the pads.
#2: Inspect calipers, caliper sliders, and all other mounting sufaces and metal-to-metal contact areas. (This includes the rotor to hub mounting surface which commonly becomes contaminated by rust and other debris!) Lubricate all metal-to-metal contact areas with moly grease or lube. Inspect complete system and make sure that rotors and pads are lining up 'true' when brakes are being applied.
#3: Apply anti-squeal moly lube or similar to backing plate of the pads - or use an anti-squeal shim between the pad and the piston contact areas. This will change (dampen) the frequency of the vibration and will help reduce the noise.
#4: Chamfering of the leading and trailing edge of the pads will also help to reduce noise levels.
#5: Inspect related suspension components to make sure worn components are not placing undue stresses on the braking system, calipers, and pads.
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #79
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2019 C7 Stingray
Mine are horrible. I'll probably deal with it until it's time for new pads. Hate to throw away brand new pads. Then I'll switch to Hawk Ceramics. Had the same issue on my GTO. Switched to Hawks. Problem solved!
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #80
Primus
2G1FF1EV0A9113319

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS 6MT
I swapped my brakes (pads, calipers, and rotors) with a set of Brembos from an SS. About 5 days after having them (with no noise) I have a really loud noise that comes from the rear drivers side when coasting that sounds like a cricket or bed spring or something. When I step on the brakes it goes away and when I'm accelerating I don't notice it.

Any ideas?
3000: 4/08/2009
3300: 5/14/2009
3400: 5/21/2009
3800: 5/28/2009 VIN: 2G1FF1EV0A9113319
4000: 5/28/2009
4150: 5/28/2009
4B00: 5/28/2009

Delivered: 6/10/2009
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #81
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
I swapped my brakes (pads, calipers, and rotors) with a set of Brembos from an SS. About 5 days after having them (with no noise) I have a really loud noise that comes from the rear drivers side when coasting that sounds like a cricket or bed spring or something. When I step on the brakes it goes away and when I'm accelerating I don't notice it.

Any ideas?
Very different noise than the squeal and an indicator that something is not right.

Cricket = clicking and possibly a pad or retaining clip not seated correctly?

Bed Spring = Squeaking and Screaming That can't be a brake noise

Brakes are NOT a joking matter so please excuse the humor. Any mechincal brake noise requires an immediate inspection. Please get your wheel off drill as deep as removing the rear rotor to inspect the parking brake.

Once last thought, do you have after market wheels and TPM sensors. The valve stem style TMP senors have been known to 'click' against the parking brake cable.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #82
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Pete,
You have always been so helpful with great information about our cars. The bedding process that you explained, how soon should it be done after the purchase of a new Camaro? Also since you have a lot of experience with the CTS/V brakes on the Camaro, for those of us waiting for the Z/28 to arrive, with hopefully the CTS/V 6 piston Brembos, is this brake squealing something that we will experience also or are the Cadillac brake pads a quieter compound that still work as well as the pads on the SS Brembos? Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #83
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Pete,
You have always been so helpful with great information about our cars. The bedding process that you explained, how soon should it be done after the purchase of a new Camaro? Also since you have a lot of experience with the CTS/V brakes on the Camaro, for those of us waiting for the Z/28 to arrive, with hopefully the CTS/V 6 piston Brembos, is this brake squealing something that we will experience also or are the Cadillac brake pads a quieter compound that still work as well as the pads on the SS Brembos? Thanks again.
Thank you for the kind words.

Brake bedding should be completed as soon as you are in a location that allows you to do it safely.

Brembo brake noise is common across vehicles brands. My Camaro install had no brake noise until after the first track day. After the first track day it was similar to the SS. If I haven't posted this before, the biggest gain we had with the CTS-V upgrade was a large drop in both rotor and caliper temperature.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #84
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks Pete, I will bed the brakes like you suggested after taking delivery of the Z/28. Just do not hold your breath while waiting for my results though, I am hoping they will be in showrooms by Christmas 2012.