Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2013 Camaro5 Fest (IV)

Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #57
nmcajeff

Drives: 07 Trailblazer SS
Per the 2013 NHRA rule book ALL Convertibles are required to have a roll bar at 13.49. This is right out of the 2013 NHRA rule book. Every NHRA sanctioned track in the country uses the same rule book.
nmcajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #58
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I don't see where you are making up this Coupe vs Vert animosity/discrimination lol. But I do agree that this isn't an NHRA event and shouldn't be run as if it were. But it's obvious that if you flip your vert, you're dead and they'd rather not have ppl dying.

That being said, we know the risks and the chances of you flipping aren't very likely so I think verts should have the same roll cage rules.
I didn't make it a discrimination issue. But when I'm told to put on Pom Poms to cheer for coupes, I needs to defend ones believes.

I would agree that if I flip, I'm hurt or dead. My point is at 115 mph, if a coupe flips, that driver is just as hurt or dead as a convertible driver. No camaro is safe from those results if they flip at that speed and this is only an issue if the car flips. That is why the track makes you sign a waver when you pay to race.
If rules are the issue then everyone is breaking the rules governed by Insurance companies. Street cars covered by insurance are not suppose to be driven in racing competition. It just seems that the powers pick and chose the rules they want to enforce. And these rules were the same last year and it wasn't a problem, convertibles raced.
The larger question is why did Camaro5 chose to return to this site if so many of their member were going to be barred from competing???
Shouldn't they discussed this and considered it as a factor in where they had the event????
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #59
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Smkymts,

You know I am one of the few heavily modded verts in existence, like you. We are the extreme minority and need to accept this.

The 13.49 rule has been in play for over 2 years now, and the reason that all NHRA tracks must comply is for legal purposes. If a fatality occurs that could of been avoided, by say, implementing a 13.49 rule, the NHRA could be held partly responsible. So they require all tracks to follow the same rule set uniformly. The odds of a flip are extremely rare, however all it takes is one incident to spark a hell storm. Not to mention that most stock verts, on stock tires will need to be a seasoned driver to break under 13.49, so they are not excluded.

Not being able to race greatly influences my personal decision to attend or not attend. However, if the organizer's choice is an awesome professional track that 99.98% of the people can enjoy vs. a back country unsanctioned track in poor condition that 100% of the people can enjoy...

This is just one of those things that we have to accept when we choose a drop top vs a coupe. I look at it like this...

Coupes get to have more fun on the track, which composes MAYBE a hundredth of a percent of the total drive time of the car for the average person that tracks.

Verts get to have more fun on the street, which is damn near all the time~
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #60
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Smkymts,

You know I am one of the few heavily modded verts in existence, like you. We are the extreme minority and need to accept this.

The 13.49 rule has been in play for over 2 years now, and the reason that all NHRA tracks must comply is for legal purposes. If a fatality occurs that could of been avoided, by say, implementing a 13.49 rule, the NHRA could be held partly responsible. So they require all tracks to follow the same rule set uniformly. The odds of a flip are extremely rare, however all it takes is one incident to spark a hell storm. Not to mention that most stock verts, on stock tires will need to be a seasoned driver to break under 13.49, so they are not excluded.

Not being able to race greatly influences my personal decision to attend or not attend. However, if the organizer's choice is an awesome professional track that 99.98% of the people can enjoy vs. a back country unsanctioned track in poor condition that 100% of the people can enjoy...

This is just one of those things that we have to accept when we choose a drop top vs a coupe. I look at it like this...

Coupes get to have more fun on the track, which composes MAYBE a hundredth of a percent of the total drive time of the car for the average person that tracks.

Verts get to have more fun on the street, which is damn near all the time~
Four issues with what you wrote.
1) this same track allowed Cfest last year without incident.
2) this same track is not the only NHRA track that is large enough and open enough to let convertibles race as well. My local track, Thunder Valley, Bristol, Tn. Extended an invite to Camaro5 and its one of the best tracks in the Nation! I race there weekly. Professional track, not dirty water back holes, allow us.
3) I don't believe the street is were I let my car run its potential. I want a safe environment
4) an injustice is an injustice. All it takes for evil to exist is for one good man to allow it.

This may not change things but this issues needs open discussion. I love being apart of this group and other Camaro owner do as much, so why can't we find a place were all can participate.
I'm sure if GM came to Lucas Oil raceway to test there new convertibles, they would not turn them away. They look the other way when it suites them as they did last year.

Last edited by Smkymts; 07-27-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #61
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcajeff View Post
Per the 2013 NHRA rule book ALL Convertibles are required to have a roll bar at 13.49. This is right out of the 2013 NHRA rule book. Every NHRA sanctioned track in the country uses the same rule book.
Where was the equal application and enforcement of the rules at last years event?
Was this made know to the decision makers before the contract to return was signed?
There are plenty of NHRA tracks that will allow all C5 member race if they want.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #62
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcajeff View Post
Thanks Jeff for the quick reply. That pretty much sums it up right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
Where was the equal application and enforcement of the rules at last years event?
Was this made know to the decision makers before the contract to return was signed?
There are plenty of NHRA tracks that will allow all C5 member race if they want.
1) I guess you were lucky you didn't drive 1k last year and not get to race.
2) Yes, the decision makers know quite well what the rules are. If you had been to Fest II a lot of folks got a huge taste of the rule book due to not having scatter shields on their manual transmissions.
3) See #2 there are no NHRA sanctioned tracks that will allow this. Any track that does, would be way too small for this event.

I know you're not going to be happy with answer #1 but it is what it is and the rules are not gray. Hopefully you'll consider some of the other events enjoyable enough to make the trip anyway. At least you know before hand which is what you were asking for.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #63
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Just for the record, any NHRA track that does not follow the rule book is risking losing it's sanction and/or paying hefty fines.

Ultimately if you want the rules to be changed, contact the NHRA and see what the process would be for you to submit your request. Nobody here (that has made themselves known) has the power or authority to circumvent this rule. Who knows, you may get them to exclude certain categories like 'Street Legal'.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #64
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Just for the record, any NHRA track that does not follow the rule book is risking losing it's sanction and/or paying hefty fines.

Ultimately if you want the rules to be changed, contact the NHRA and see what the process would be for you to submit your request. Nobody here (that has made themselves known) has the power or authority to circumvent this rule. Who knows, you may get them to exclude certain categories like 'Street Legal'.
I just posted the same thing in another thread about this. None of us can do anything about it.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #65
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I just posted the same thing in another thread about this. None of us can do anything about it.
Know it all..