Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
gmpartsman

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS IBM
GUYS WITH RIDETECHS STEP IN

Would some of you guys with ridetechs on your Camaro give me a measurement from the rim lip both front and rear to the fender lip. trying to figure out a rubbing issue.
if any of you have 275/315 setup I would be curious to hear of any issues

thanks alot
gmpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Yep, ruined a continental extreme on the passenger side front. Running those specs. Initial finding was bad shock that was replaced, but I am still seeing signs of rubber pealing that concern me. Fender is not disturbed at all and camber was adjusted slightly to move it inward and away from the fender. Still evaluating after that change and before I go buy new tires...only had about 12000 before the install and subsequent damage. I am lowered by a little over 1 inch. I'm close to buying a fender roller and doing the duty...I'll try to get some measurements up...
Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Rubbing will be an issue if your wheel offsets aren’t correct and camber is off. And tire size obviously. Numerous things that go into what you want to do. My drop is 1” front and 1.063” rear. Measurements are 25.75” front, 26.063” rear on a 1/4 tank gas. Tires are mpss 295/35/20 with a big rim protector that protrudes out.They are wide tires.Wheels are 20x10.5 with a 20 offset. With that combo I could only get 1degree negative front camber. The rears were not a problem . However with the tires more or less straight up and down, I sliced one on the fender lip when hitting a dip with the shocks set soft.
Only thing I could do is buy 285/35/30 mpss’s for the front. Those and a 3mm spacer gives me 3mm clearance and that enabled me to get 2.4 degrees camber. Only rubbing now is minor at driveway speeds when turning the wheel. And the bigger camber tilts the wheel inward away from the fender lip as a bonus
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
gmpartsman

my rims are front 20x10 23 offset with the 275's and the rears are 20x11 43 offset with the 315's. the camber is -1.2. front fender lip measures 29 1/8 and rear is 29 1/4. u understand that there may be a driving tradeoff for having a lowered car but I feel that this is beyond crazy.
I called ridetech today and josh asked for some measurements. I will call him tomorrow with that info and hopefully he can come up with something to fix the rubbing issue.
heck in doing research on lowered cars on this site before going this route it seemed that a alot of guys were lowered running the same wheel spec and tire setup.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpartsman View Post
my rims are front 20x10 23 offset with the 275's and the rears are 20x11 43 offset with the 315's. the camber is -1.2. front fender lip measures 29 1/8 and rear is 29 1/4. u understand that there may be a driving tradeoff for having a lowered car but I feel that this is beyond crazy.
I called ridetech today and josh asked for some measurements. I will call him tomorrow with that info and hopefully he can come up with something to fix the rubbing issue.
heck in doing research on lowered cars on this site before going this route it seemed that a alot of guys were lowered running the same wheel spec and tire setup.
Sure that measurement isn’t from the ground to fender lip? Best to measure from lower rim lip to fender lip. The front should be good so not sure what’s going on there. On rear mine are 20x10.5 with a 35 offset and no issues.
I put a pc of cardboard box flap as a guide to slip between the tire and the coilover. Your rub area should just be on the spring. The corrogated cardboard is about 3mm thick. That way you can see what to do. If needed you can run up to a 5 mm spacer on stock wheel studs.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
gmpartsman

yea those are on a 4 post to the fender lip, it is for sure on the outside as it is leaving little peelings when it rubs on the tire

Last edited by gmpartsman; 04-25-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
yea those are on a 4 post to the fender lip, it is for sure on the outside as it is leaving little peelings when it rubs on the tire
On only the front? Shouldn’t have issues on the rear. You actually sit higher then my car does in front. If you have room to the coilover, get more negative camber , 2-2.2 and that tilts the tire inward away from the lip. And You get more even tread wear to and better grip.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
gmpartsman

oh it rubs on the rear also. I only have about 2 3/4 rear shock travel till I hit the bump stop. gonna see what ridetech says today.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
oh it rubs on the rear also. I only have about 2 3/4 rear shock travel till I hit the bump stop. gonna see what ridetech says today.
Maybe the taller rear spring perch will help. It’s a option JDP ordered to get more travel when you lower a inch or less. It’s ainch thick vs the little one you normally get. But yeah talk to ridetech. The front issue is odd, The rear should be ok also unless it’s a wide 315 maybe.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Maybe the taller rear spring perch will help. It’s a option JDP ordered to get more travel when you lower a inch or less. It’s ainch thick vs the little one you normally get. But yeah talk to ridetech. The front issue is odd, The rear should be ok also unless it’s a wide 315 maybe.
Here is s pic of the thicker lower perch
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
gmpartsman

I called ridetech, josh was very helpful with this problem. he said he has heard of this as the kit was designed around a stock tire setup. he is sending me a different set of rear springs with a spring rate that should cure my problems. the eye and compressed measurements and the picture I sent him all were within their specs he said. as you suggested I am going to change the camber on the front. I think this will fix the front problem w/o having excessive tire wear.
guess we will see when the springs get here next week..
Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
I called ridetech, josh was very helpful with this problem. he said he has heard of this as the kit was designed around a stock tire setup. he is sending me a different set of rear springs with a spring rate that should cure my problems. the eye and compressed measurements and the picture I sent him all were within their specs he said. as you suggested I am going to change the camber on the front. I think this will fix the front problem w/o having excessive tire wear.
guess we will see when the springs get here next week..
Cool. I do t drive the car much anymore but -2 degrees front and -1 rear wore evenly. I have 2.4 now but for autocross and wear still good. So far.

What springs did you get? Per Jdp For autocross I run 300/550’s
Old 04-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
gmpartsman

they are sending 600 for the rear. josh said he drove a car with these springs on a 3hr trip with no issues or noticeable ride quality drop off.
these are the stiffest he recommended to stay with travel and compression specs.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
they are sending 600 for the rear. josh said he drove a car with these springs on a 3hr trip with no issues or noticeable ride quality drop off.
these are the stiffest he recommended to stay with travel and compression specs.
Cool. Mine ride great with all I have done.