Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Tire talk

I know there is alot of talk about everyone's plans on how they are going to handle they're tire situation seeing how most of us are getting our 1LE's during the colder-cold months and the stock tires are for warmer conditions I was just starting this thread so people like me who try to search around the ZL1 threads have a 1LE thread of our own to talk about they're tire plans and how the tires treat them in the coming months
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
??? scratching my head??? but why the need to change tires for winter. Just migrate down to south Florida with the rest of the snow birds.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
snickerdoodle

Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
I'm gonna be running blizzaks. Expensive, but you can still drive like a hooligan in the cold =]
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo

Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
I hope everyone knows, this is not a "snowtire" issue. Goodyear has stressed these tires can, or will crack or worse if driven in temps 40 degees or lower. This means, i will arrive at the dealer equiped with another set of all season tires, mounted on 19 in wheels (not sure what type yet) just to drive home, and keep on the car at least 6 months out the year. Put my stock stickys on, when the weather is warm. Btw, Goodyear goes on to suggest storing your stickys in a warm envroment...like your basement.
scubadoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Zorns

Drives: ?
Will 19" wheels fit with the brakes on the 1LE? Thought I saw in some other posts (not sure where) that there was a problem with 19's clearing the brakes.
Zorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
What about the fact that it is soon to be (or already is) below freezing in Canada. Won't cars sit and be shipped in temps below what has been mentioned here?
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
What about the fact that it is soon to be (or already is) below freezing in Canada. Won't cars sit and be shipped in temps below what has been mentioned here?
I've thought about this myself. I'm sure they had to take some sort of measure to prevent the ZL1 tires from cracking last winter (at least I hope they did...). So I'd have to think that they'd do the same for the 1LE. I doubt GM would look very good sending 1LE's and ZL1's to customers with cracked tires.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorns View Post
Will 19" wheels fit with the brakes on the 1LE? Thought I saw in some other posts (not sure where) that there was a problem with 19's clearing the brakes.
I don't see why there'd be an issue. They're the same brakes as the SS and I'm pretty sure I've seen people on this forum with 19" and even 18" wheels on an SS.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
??? scratching my head??? but why the need to change tires for winter. Just migrate down to south Florida with the rest of the snow birds.
If only it were so simple.........the roads down there are so much better than here in GA and AL
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
Another concern is the dealer prep on your car. Will they know not to drive your car in cold temps...ruining the tires.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Scuba, where did you find information about Good Year stating the tires can not be in conditions under 40 degrees? I am planing on garaging my 1LE all winter in Michigan but my garage is not heated. I was going to put it on jack stands but now I might consider taking the tire/rims off and storing them in my basement (mancave).

However, I must admit I am a bit sceptical that GM would allow tires on a car that could crack in 40 deg weather when cars are being built and shipped in Canada during the winter.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Man I wish there were more Camaro enthusiasts in Hawaii. The 1LE would be perfect here year round. We just need a race track.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I wish I was in Hawaii, wouldnt need a car at all and would still be happy. However, a life goal of mine, bucket list item, is to go back to Maui and tear up an exotic car uo the vulcano drive..... Aaaaaaah, one day.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Scuba, where did you find information about Good Year stating the tires can not be in conditions under 40 degrees? I am planing on garaging my 1LE all winter in Michigan but my garage is not heated. I was going to put it on jack stands but now I might consider taking the tire/rims off and storing them in my basement (mancave).

However, I must admit I am a bit sceptical that GM would allow tires on a car that could crack in 40 deg weather when cars are being built and shipped in Canada during the winter.
It's on the Zl1 site.