Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Cool....so I could probably try it with some good lope and then probably raise the idle a little if it becomes to much of a pain in the ass. Good idea.

My '69 lopes pretty hard but I don't notice it in the cabin much at all. Possibly because the suspension is so much softer.

I actually paid a little more attention to my car last night when I took it out for a drive. It actually does a little tossing in the cabin shortly after start up. Once it warms up it's pretty much gone though. I don't need a perfectly smooth ride inside the cabin like it is now but I don't want it to be tossing me side to side at the stop light either. This is still my daily driver and the wife drives it just as much as me. I don't feel like listening to her complain if she thought it was to radical. If it was a weekend car it would be a completely different story.

I'm still really considering the PCM 545. I just need my mod fund to build back up. I'm about 1/3 of the way there. Researching and watching in the mean time.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #16
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'm hoping that someone will get some good in cabin driving around town video of the PCM 545 so I can see if it's really something I would have to re-learn how to drive at low RPM with.
I can drive my own and take a video if you tell me what you want to see...do you just want the camera focused on the gauges or something else?

I really don't find the driveability at low RPM's to be bad at all...only if you purposely aggravate it in such a way that would upset a stock manual car for that matter.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
caverman

I'm just curious to see things like taking off from a stop light; are you having to right the clutch more than normal to keep it from stalling. Maybe driving around slow in a parking lot to see if there is any bucking or surging. Just driving like normal though the gears and/or just cruising down the street. Basically just looking for it's street manners. Of course a shot of just a start up with it settling into an idle would be cool as well.

I have 3.91 gears so I've heard that will help out with all that stuff but I'm just curious to see what it would be like to drive around town with it.

Something similar to this. Even more if you can. This is the LPE GT-11 cam from ADM.

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 07-25-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Yea the ONLY time I noticed it harder to drive was at a sustained 20mph at 1500rpms there was slight surging. Going down a gear wasn't an option because 1.) I was on a military base and 20 was the speed limit. And 2.) I had 1 7/8 headers with no cats and a loud mouth 2 exhaust! Lol A 700whp vette at 2k and open exhaust sounds like I'm about to drag race! Parking lot and low rpm driving was fine! Just holding 1500rpms was bumpy. You had to TRY to make it stumble! Again I had a night fury cam and I'm not sure how it compares to this one exactly?
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
Quote:
Cool....so I could probably try it with some good lope and then probably raise the idle a little if it becomes to much of a pain in the ass. Good idea.

My '69 lopes pretty hard but I don't notice it in the cabin much at all. Possibly because the suspension is so much softer.

I actually paid a little more attention to my car last night when I took it out for a drive. It actually does a little tossing in the cabin shortly after start up. Once it warms up it's pretty much gone though. I don't need a perfectly smooth ride inside the cabin like it is now but I don't want it to be tossing me side to side at the stop light either. This is still my daily driver and the wife drives it just as much as me. I don't feel like listening to her complain if she thought it was to radical. If it was a weekend car it would be a completely different story.

I'm still really considering the PCM 545. I just need my mod fund to build back up. I'm about 1/3 of the way there. Researching and watching in the mean time.
i do understand where your coming from...but if your 69 lopes pretty hard then i dont think you have anything to worry about. My friends car has poly motor mounts...THAT does transmit much of the "lope" into the passenger compartment. My night fury cam lopes pretty hard, but with a good tune the driveability is amazing. I can try to get a video of my cam for you if you want. i can start from a complete stop with no throttle at all...just ease the clutch out and she starts rolling without any complaints. its all in the tune. If you already have 3.91 gears then it will drive even better. Im still on stock gearing. I can creep through my subdivision at 14 mph in 2nd gear with very little surging or bucking..everybody told me that would be impossible with the night fury cam but i swear my car does it with pretty much no complaints. Just find a good tuner and if you want some of the lope tuned out they can raise the idle and adjust the timing slightly to smooth it out. I know im referencing the night fury cam and your asking about the pcm cam so not sure if thats gonna help you at all. Not sure of the exact specs of the pcm cam but i feel like the are probably fairly similar.
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
The 545 cam has quite a bit less intake duration than the Night Fury. The Night Fury has 10 degrees of overlap while the 545 only has 3 degrees. It will behave quite a bit better than the Night Fury. I have been contemplating going to the 545 cam for awhile so I can have a little better driveability. Night Fury for my situation is overkill. I think the 545 is what you should get.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Cam Specs: 223/243, .61x/.62x, @ .050", 114 LSA

Looks like 5º for 545 Cam and what a holly split !
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
caverman

I can't find the exact specs of the Night Furry but I did see where at least the lift was a little higher. Going base on just the videos I've heard between the 545 and Night Furry the NF has more of a radical lope to it IMO.

Going based on the average HP on the dynos it looks like power wise the 545 vs NF are about the same. This is why I would probably pick the 545 over NF.

Right now on my list is the 545 if I can deal with the shake inside the cabin and assuming the driving manners are there. Otherwise I would probably go with the LPE GT-11 for driving manners even though the lope isn't all that much.
Build Journal
Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
matt55

Only thing I can find on NF cam is 230/242 @113
Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Quote:
I can't find the exact specs of the Night Furry but I did see where at least the lift was a little higher. Going base on just the videos I've heard between the 545 and Night Furry the NF has more of a radical lope to it IMO.

Going based on the average HP on the dynos it looks like power wise the 545 vs NF are about the same. This is why I would probably pick the 545 over NF.

Right now on my list is the 545 if I can deal with the shake inside the cabin and assuming the driving manners are there. Otherwise I would probably go with the LPE GT-11 for driving manners even though the lope isn't all that much.
You just need to find someone in your area thats cammed and see if thats for you. The car is going to shake if its cammed. Mine had a small shake even with the stock cam. My car shakes so bad that my legs and my passengers legs swing side to side. Like I said, youll get used to it. If youre that worried about it, Id say these cams are not for you. Id stick with stock or the GT11. I dont know your end goal, but the GT11 seems to only come to life when you go FI. Not the best for NA applications.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #25
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Cam Specs: 223/243, .61x/.62x, @ .050", 114 LSA

Looks like 5º for 545 Cam and what a holly split !
Those arent the same specs I got from Alvin. They're close, but I was told less exhaust, to equal 3 degrees overlap. Hmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Only thing I can find on NF cam is 230/242 @113
According to the 545 specs you posted, the 545 has more lift.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
matt55

I copied and pasted from both of there websites
Old 07-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Hmmm....Ya, he told me exhaust spec was 239. Not that its a huge difference, but its different. I didnt get lift specs except "its in the high 61x area."