Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
376camaro

Drives: Black on black 2010 camaro 2ss
Misfire in a LS3

I have a 2010 camaro ss LS3, I took it to my garage to get a transmission and differential oil changed along with a combustion chamber clean (usually the check engine light goes on after the combustion chamber clean because we must disconnect the air box, along with the mass air flow sensor, to spray the product in to the throttle body). However, my check engine light did not go on, but we decided to plug it to the scanner anyway and take a look at the readings. We found that cylinder 1-2-3-6 were misfiring once and a while, at idle and at 2000 rpm. My car has 14 000 miles and I drive it, I don’t abuse it but I drive it! So I figured it is to be expected due to were and tear, so I changed all eight spark plugs, now my car is still misfiring but not as often, it will misfire 2 times at 2000 rpm, once every 2 minutes. These is no check engine light on and no DTC’s to be read, I do not think that this should be happening, my car is stock and I put the original spark plugs on. I will be taking my car to the dealer on Monday. But can anyone help me out before Monday, because I am a little puzzled by this (and worried) and I am going for a tune in a few weeks so I want to make sure that my car is 100% before I get the tune done.

Thank You
376camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
please explain this " combustion chamber cleaning" and what are they using to do this?
Is this car 100% stock?
if not what have you done?
IMO a stock car shouldnt need the spark plugs changed at 14k and most of these injector and/or intake cleaners are a hoax and can cause more problem than help.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
376camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
please explain this " combustion chamber cleaning" and what are they using to do this?
Is this car 100% stock?
if not what have you done?
IMO a stock car shouldnt need the spark plugs changed at 14k and most of these injector and/or intake cleaners are a hoax and can cause more problem than help.
I don't have the brand name of the cleaner, but it is an aerosol can that simply releases the carbon build-up on the valves. My car is 100% stock, the only thing not stock is my Hurst short throw shifter, which is irrelevant to the problem. My spark plugs did not need to be changed they were still good but they were used, that is why I changed them
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Seafoam!??? They have an aerosol you spray into the throttle body, but you attach the filter tube back up before hand!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
376camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Seafoam!??? They have an aerosol you spray into the throttle body, but you attach the filter tube back up before hand!
I really can't remember but I will get the brand name tomorow because I will be going back. But I really think that this is irrelevant, having a misfire has nothing to do with cleaning out a combustion chamber.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
Stock spark plug wires are known to get internal damage when you take them off which causes those symptoms. I also had a car where a bad ground and bad battery terminal caused misfires and the codes read as a bad coil.

From the symptoms I would consider electrical problems/connections first.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Or possibly a vacuum leak if the tech didn't reconnect something.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376camaro View Post
I really can't remember but I will get the brand name tomorow because I will be going back. But I really think that this is irrelevant, having a misfire has nothing to do with cleaning out a combustion chamber.
I actually poured the seafoam in my Mustang via a vaccumn line, and it fouled one of my plugs #4, I know you changed them, but just wanted to state, it will foul a plug!

Don't know why yours is still missing!!!!! Just giving my story!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
What kind of carbon build-up did you think you would have on an engine with 14K on it? You even admit to driving it hard.
Typical case of Don't fix what ain,t broke.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
376camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Stock spark plug wires are known to get internal damage when you take them off which causes those symptoms. I also had a car where a bad ground and bad battery terminal caused misfires and the codes read as a bad coil.

From the symptoms I would consider electrical problems/connections first.
Thank's I wil check that out!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
376camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Or possibly a vacuum leak if the tech didn't reconnect something.
everything is connected under the hood, and we did not remouve anu vaccum hoses.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
376camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn2usa View Post
What kind of carbon build-up did you think you would have on an engine with 14K on it? You even admit to driving it hard.
Typical case of Don't fix what ain,t broke.
I know that there is not significant carbon build in on my motor, but every year when I take the car out I do this combustion chamber clean, I believe that these little thing are simply preventive measure that will extend my engine's life. I am not trying to fix something that is not broken, my car is misfiring, it is a fact. I am trying to figure out why and then fix it before it becomes worse. Unless misfire’s are normal?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376camaro View Post
I have a 2010 camaro ss LS3, I took it to my garage to get a transmission and differential oil changed along with a combustion chamber clean (usually the check engine light goes on after the combustion chamber clean because we must disconnect the air box, along with the mass air flow sensor, to spray the product in to the throttle body). However, my check engine light did not go on, but we decided to plug it to the scanner anyway and take a look at the readings. We found that cylinder 1-2-3-6 were misfiring once and a while, at idle and at 2000 rpm. My car has 14 000 miles and I drive it, I don’t abuse it but I drive it! So I figured it is to be expected due to were and tear, so I changed all eight spark plugs, now my car is still misfiring but not as often, it will misfire 2 times at 2000 rpm, once every 2 minutes. These is no check engine light on and no DTC’s to be read, I do not think that this should be happening, my car is stock and I put the original spark plugs on. I will be taking my car to the dealer on Monday. But can anyone help me out before Monday, because I am a little puzzled by this (and worried) and I am going for a tune in a few weeks so I want to make sure that my car is 100% before I get the tune done.

Thank You
My car misfires on random cylinders at random times, but not enough to set a code. I posed the misfire question on the HPTuners forum. One of the guys that that works for GM in the ECM dept said this was normal for the LS3. I'm confident in this person knowledge and have accpeted his answer. I would have never known about the misfires until I scanned. Not sure how many you will find here that scan their cars...yet.

I too was worried since my last car (Impala SS) had no misfires even at 12 psi of boost.

As I understand it tuning will help.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
376camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
My car misfires on random cylinders at random times, but not enough to set a code. I posed the misfire question on the HPTuners forum. One of the guys that that works for GM in the ECM dept said this was normal for the LS3. I'm confident in this person knowledge and have accpeted his answer. I would have never known about the misfires until I scanned. Not sure how many you will find here that scan their cars...yet.

I too was worried since my last car (Impala SS) had no misfires even at 12 psi of boost.

As I understand it tuning will help.
Yup, it sounds exactly like what my car is doing. I recently bought the GM service manual and when looking up misfire in the diagnostic section of the manual I found a dozen reasons’s why it might misfire. However, it stated on page 9-391 of volume 2 under circuit system verification; “Observe the cylinder 1-8 current misfire counters with a scan tool. The current misfire counters should not be incrementing. Random misfires that are not steadily incrementing may be normal." With that said, you and your GM tech might be right. But I personally can’t understand how a misfire on an LS3 block with 14000 miles on it could be part of the normal operating procedure?