Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
Question Need some auto x advice

So I'm looking at an autocross race soon. Will be my third time, second racing. My first in the camaro. Previous was in a turbocharged fwd, with coils and sways. And an automatic. Now I'm in a stick rwd v8, stock.

What do I need to change entry/exit wise?
How do you guys launch?(LC, self, slow?)

How is the car in an autox?(besides heavier then the little ones?)

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
So I take it no one has tried to drive this bad boy in a circle??

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3min3m2 View Post
So I'm looking at an autocross race soon. Will be my third time, second racing. My first in the camaro. Previous was in a turbocharged fwd, with coils and sways. And an automatic. Now I'm in a stick rwd v8, stock.

I've autocrossed mine a few times. They're heavy and understeer a lot. Corner entry will depend on the corner. I've started slower for my first runs and push harder each run, listen to your tires. Did I mention they understeer. I havent run again since my suspension upgrades, so can't say how much they've helped. I ran mine with all TC nannies off. Tried it in sport mode and a couple times I was trying to come out of a corner hard and computer said not a chance for a sec or two.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Brokenlizrd

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Charcoal
Send a message via Skype™ to Brokenlizrd
i personally do not like LC. You will get a better launch without it. Go practice? Is the AutoX in a Parking lot?
Brokenlizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
mine handles real nice
Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3min3m2 View Post

I turn all traction device aids off. (stabili trak and traction control both off)

I short shift 1st gear and get into second quickly and usually just run the course in the one gear. That way you can concentrate on the car placement relative to the cones. 2nd gear has enough speed and torque to move the car pretty decent around the autox course.

The Camaro is a very heavy car and the weight is a lot to push around. you need to be careful of too much speed entering the corner as the normal tendency of the car (in stock trim) is to under steer - you will plow through the cones and be off your intended line with too much speed.

exiting is easy - mash the throttle as early as possible while still in the corner to build speed. try to carry as much speed as possible through the entire course.

I usually take a 'sunday drive' for the first pass to learn the course layout. Don't try to have the 1st pass be your best time, it's more of an "exploratory" lap to learn the tough parts or tricky corner/cone. Once I have a clean run, I re-think the course to identify where I could improve and make up time.

The 2nd and subsequent passes are "balls to the walls" trying to go faster than the previous lap. Once you complete the lap, re-play the lap in your mind, and think about how you could improve on your next pass.

Have Fun!

-Dan
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote