Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #393
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
We where told at Indy that they had tested the drive-train at 700 + and had no issues? There are a few other members that were witness to this conversation…
Yep. I was there and so were quite a few others. Al said it in the Q&A session. They said they tested it up to 700hp w/ no problem at all. Now, sustained 700hp runs and getting on is seriously over the course of a few years.....sure, there might be a problem (as with any other drivetrain). But, for all intensive purposes, you shouldn't have any issues.

Don't worry...the drivetrain can handle a blower putting out this power.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #394
tx tahoe z71

Drives: 2003 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yep. I was there and so were quite a few others. Al said it in the Q&A session. They said they tested it up to 700hp w/ no problem at all. Now, sustained 700hp runs and getting on is seriously over the course of a few years.....sure, there might be a problem (as with any other drivetrain). But, for all intensive purposes, you shouldn't have any issues.

That is so legit
2003 Tahoe Z71 5.3: Volant CAI, 22" Magnaflow muffler, Wheatley 93, ported TB, Vette servos, Hotchkis sways, Bilstein HD's, 3.73s, hidden JL 10", PPI amp, Alpine 9853 face, Optima red top, Valentine 1
Awaiting installation: Radix, 40k TruCool, LS6 valley cover, RAAMaudio sound deadening
tx tahoe z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #395
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
We where told at Indy that they had tested the drive-train at 700 + and had no issues? There are a few other members that were witness to this conversation…
Quote:

That's really comforting to know. Can't wait to see some numbers. For those planning to stay with the 6.2L motor, I still can't see why you'd choose the 2300 over the 1900. The C6 guys seem to make more power with the 1900 than this Camaro with the 2300.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #396
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
That's a lot of belt running all that stuff.
Chris, have you looked at Techo belt system? Real nice. Go take a look. It reduces a lot stress on the other components and you will get like a stand alone 8-rib just for the blower. There is one video that the chief designer shows the 8-rib. (not trying to hijack this thread).
The belt and FEAD are more than capable of carrying the load of the supercharger. We have been doing this for 40 years, 10 of them on the LS engines.
BlownChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #397
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:

TAG, you think the rear end is that strong? I feel the IRS is so fragile, LOL.

-bobby
Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #398
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
The belt and FEAD are more than capable of carrying the load of the supercharger. We have been doing this for 40 years, 10 of them on the LS engines.
Did I miss preliminary/final tuning numbers somewhere? I know you mentioned a car was going back to Hen' or something along those lines but was under the impression you guys were testing another one. I must've been mistaken...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #399
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
TAG, you think the rear end is that strong? I feel the IRS is so fragile, LOL.

-bobby
The 03 Cobra's are that strong, I would assume Chevy would make them just as strong. I probably wouldn't run slicks though. What I would worry about is wheel hop showing up at those higher hp levels.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #400
radz28
Petro-sexual

Please correct me if I'm wrong (it wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last) but those Cobras IRS's were bolt-in affairs, weren't they? I mean, the made a subframe that would adapt to the SRA axle mounts that would hang IRS components to, didn't they? I think that there's a chance that the IRS in the Camaro would be able to handle more power by virtue of being designed as an IRS car, unlike the Cobra. Again, I'm basing these statements off of my prior understanding of those models and encourage any insight

I'm with you on the slicks though. I might consider some ET Street Radials, but that's about it. It's not like they wouldn't be good enough, LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #401
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong (it wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last) but those Cobras IRS's were bolt-in affairs, weren't they? I mean, the made a subframe that would adapt to the SRA axle mounts that would hang IRS components to, didn't they? I think that there's a chance that the IRS in the Camaro would be able to handle more power by virtue of being designed as an IRS car, unlike the Cobra. Again, I'm basing these statements off of my prior understanding of those models and encourage any insight

I'm with you on the slicks though. I might consider some ET Street Radials, but that's about it. It's not like they wouldn't be good enough, LOL.
I believe you are correct. The 03/04 cobra chasis was built for a Solid Axel. The IRS was adapted to those cars. My 04 was putting down 509rwhp / 520rwtq and the IRS was holding up find. Some had 600rwhp and it was holding up fine.

I for one think we will be fine .. however, it will get interesting with some very sticky tires to see how the halfshafts hold up. Another item that I bought for my 04 cobra was what they called an IRS Brace, it would re-inforce the pumpkin as they were known to get nasty cracks .. Hopefully the GM IRS doesn't have this problem.

Crowley

Last edited by Crowley; 05-13-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #402
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
Brian, I'm sure your above statement is music to many ears.
Thanks!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #403
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I believe you are correct. The 03/04 cobra chasis was built for a Solid Axel. The IRS was adapted to those cars. My 04 was putting down 509rwhp / 520rwtq and the IRS was holding up find. Some had 600rwhp and it was holding up fine.

I for one think we will be fine .. however, it will get interesting with some very sticky tires to see how the halfshafts hold up. Anothing item that I bought for my 04 cobra was what they called an IRS Brace, it would re-inforce the pumpkin as they were known to get nasty cracks .. Hopefully the GM IRS doesn't have this problem.

Crowley
I see; cool. Look at how many early GTOs and CTS-Vs were munching rears because of wheelhop and such. I know that GTOs benefited greatly from the bushing kits from the likes of BMR and such. I think the staggerred shafts are going to help with the hop too, so I think we're going to be alright. I do recall 'Vettes getting those braces too and think they couldn't hurt us either

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #404
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I see; cool. Look at how many early GTOs and CTS-Vs were munching rears because of wheelhop and such. I know that GTOs benefited greatly from the bushing kits from the likes of BMR and such. I think the staggerred shafts are going to help with the hop too, so I think we're going to be alright. I do recall 'Vettes getting those braces too and think they couldn't hurt us either
Well, for the 03/04 Cobra's, adding a brace on the pumpkin (~$120 if I remember correctly) pretty much made the pumpkin bulletproof (zero failures). Otherwise, it is not uncommon to crack open the cover because of wheel hop or warp it to where it has nasty leaks.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #405
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Well, for the 03/04 Cobra's, adding a brace on the pumpkin (~$120 if I remember correctly) pretty much made the pumpkin bulletproof (zero failures). Otherwise, it is not uncommon to crack open the cover because of wheel hop or warp it to where it has nasty leaks.
AH! Well - I'm sure someone will come out with a kit for us. I'll definately be looking at that

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #406
dankss
Contract Killer

Drives: 2010 black 1ss/rs
AHH, im sick of this, i just want some dyno numbers. haha