Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
Brazensol

Drives: 2013 2SS
Header Install Question (or two)

I just got my Stainless Works headers and I noticed there is no gasket included with them nor do the instructions mention to use one on the install. It's been a long time since I did a header install (30+ years) but I do remember using gaskets... Is this no longer required? All I got was some high temp. sealant.

Also on the diy header install thread it says to jack the car up at 2 feet! Or more!!! Is that really required to install the headers? Can they slip in from above? Pretty sure my jack stands will not go 2 feet (and even if they did I don't think I'd put must trust in them at that height) nor have I ever seen any that will (at least safely).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Brazensol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
You can reuse your existing gaskets or just go buy new oem ones. As for clearance , more is better. I had access to a lift . The jack stands may work but it will be tight
Old 02-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Your normal jack stands should be high enough. Mine were. go get a set of oem gaskets. Slipping them up from the bottom is easiest.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I just installed a set of stainless power headers and re used the oem gasket. I don't think the headers will fit from the top. Maybe the drivers side but there is too much stuff on the passenger side. I didn't have to remove the steering knuckle either. It took me about 4.5 hours taking my sweet time from start to finish. The instructions say to jack the car up pretty much right off the start. I would loosen as many of the manifold bolts as possible before jacking the car up. Unless you want to be kneeling on a stool bending in weird positions in order to reach the bolts like I did. I should have lowered the car back down after removing everything from the bottom but I was being stubborn and lazy. Also the O2 sensors have clips in them preventing you from un doing the harness clips and they come un done easier from the bottom. I did mine on cheap jack stands that extend up not sure of the max height but they were smaller than average. I also found that the instructions called for a 12 or 13mm socket but in my opinion the 1/2 inch I think it was fit better.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I placed a wooden block on my jack to get extra height but I don't think it was 2 feet off the ground. Headers must go in from the bottom and there's plenty of clearance. Make sure you use a penetrating oil on the o2 sensors cuz they strip easily from OEM cats. Use GM gaskets as well not the RTV they send you. I was in a rush the first time and bought felpro gaskets and never had any leaks or issues with those till I scraped my headers in a huge pot hole and it then developed a leak in which I replaced with GM gaskets.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Yea pretty much what everybody has said, ill stress the GM gaskets. Do your self a favor and go get a set for less than 30 dollars. I wouldn't use that RTV. Also I never trust a jack, use jack stands. The "two feet" is basically so you have room to slide the headers up from underneath the car. As stated I just did what I could up top, bolts and sensor plugs, then raised the car and went to work underneath. Do yourself a favor and get someone to help you when you start installing from under the car. One last thing, be careful of the spark plugs, its easy to crack one when installing headers. Some people just take them out.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
A lot of good advice here, I installed my stainless power headers in my garage with jackstands and it was pretty easy.
-get a new set of oem gaskets
-remove the spark plugs and loosen up everything on top before jacking the car
-put some penetrating oil on the o2 sensors ahead of time to soak, heat them with a torch when you go to remove them
-I did mine by myself and used a rope or bungee cord from underneath to hold the header in place and then started a couple of bolts from the top
Get everything laid out ahead of time and take your time, it is actually a pretty easy install.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
I just got my Stainless Works headers and I noticed there is no gasket included with them nor do the instructions mention to use one on the install. It's been a long time since I did a header install (30+ years) but I do remember using gaskets... Is this no longer required? All I got was some high temp. sealant.

Also on the diy header install thread it says to jack the car up at 2 feet! Or more!!! Is that really required to install the headers? Can they slip in from above? Pretty sure my jack stands will not go 2 feet (and even if they did I don't think I'd put must trust in them at that height) nor have I ever seen any that will (at least safely).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Jackstands -- as high as I could get it. I bought oem gaskets and did not take a chance.

Mine fit with no real issues. Had my headers in and out several times during my SC install...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
A lot of good advice here, I installed my stainless power headers in my garage with jackstands and it was pretty easy.
-get a new set of oem gaskets
-remove the spark plugs and loosen up everything on top before jacking the car
-put some penetrating oil on the o2 sensors ahead of time to soak, heat them with a torch when you go to remove them
-I did mine by myself and used a rope or bungee cord from underneath to hold the header in place and then started a couple of bolts from the top
Get everything laid out ahead of time and take your time, it is actually a pretty easy install.
cadyshac is 100% on.. Great advice...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I definitely didn't have 2FT jack stands... Normal stands will do with some finessing.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #11
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
I used 6t jack stands worked fine.

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #12
Brazensol

Drives: 2013 2SS
Thanks for all the advice gentlemen! OEM gaskets it is and I will pick some up today. Hopefully I can find the time to install them this weekend.
Brazensol is offline   Reply With Quote