Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
dtek

Drives: 2012 1lt
Dyno Results

How’s this compare to other v6’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
• OverKill 93 Octane Tune
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Pretty amazing. Defiantly surpassed what anyone thought you'd pull, nicely done!
Simply curious what type of dyno was that?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Running boost I assume? 117 max speed so I assume automatic, stock gearing, 3rd gear pull. There's no way you are making 377whp N/A. Now that could be at the crankshaft, and I'd believe that in a heartbeat, but that wouldn't make sense.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
No, I call BS, Unless you are Nitrous or Supercharged your not making 377 Hp at the wheels, thats v8 Hp.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
dtek

Dyno Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Pretty amazing. Defiantly surpassed what anyone thought you'd pull, nicely done!
Simply curious what type of dyno was that?

My work schedule limits me from using any dyno place near me so my only real option is OBDII WiFi scanner and try to do “controlled” test. For instance that picture was after my second test going from a complete stop on the interstate on ramp to WOT. The research I did on it said of course it’s not 100% accurate, but about 85-90%. When people compared scores from a real dyno to the OBDII, it was only 5-15 hp off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Running boost I assume? 117 max speed so I assume automatic, stock gearing, 3rd gear pull. There's no way you are making 377whp N/A. Now that could be at the crankshaft, and I'd believe that in a heartbeat, but that wouldn't make sense.

I’m not very educated on dynos and especially not the OBDII system and all that so I’m not sure if my results where RWHP or just the HP of the engine? Like Chevy says my car, the 2012 Camaro 1LT LFX has 323 hp, but stock dyno runs show about 250hp. The mods I run aren’t anything crazy, CAI, Vitesse throttle controller, muffler delete, and catch can.

Edit:
Also you said “3rd gear pull”, I’m not sure what that means but my test was done in sport mode (auto) not with me using the tap shifters

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 07-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
dtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
No, I call BS, Unless you are Nitrous or Supercharged your not making 377 Hp at the wheels, thats v8 Hp.

I was shocked aswell when I saw the results, maybe that’s engine hp and not rwhp? Do you think that’d make sense?

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
My work schedule limits me from using any dyno place near me so my only real option is OBDII WiFi scanner and try to do “controlled” test. For instance that picture was after my second test going from a complete stop on the interstate on ramp to WOT. The research I did on it said of course it’s not 100% accurate, but about 85-90%. When people compared scores from a real dyno to the OBDII, it was only 5-15 hp off.

I’m not very educated on dynos and especially not the OBDII system and all that so I’m not sure if my results where RWHP or just the HP of the engine? Like Chevy says my car, the 2012 Camaro 1LT LFX has 323 hp, but stock dyno runs show about 250hp. The mods I run aren’t anything crazy, CAI, Vitesse throttle controller, muffler delete, and catch can.

Edit:Also you said “3rd gear pull”, I’m not sure what that means but my test was done in sport mode (auto) not with me using the tap shifters

3rd gear pull as in the pull was done in 3rd gear. Light math on 3rd gear gearing vs rear end and max rpm is all I was saying.

But with what you're saying, you didn't get the car dyno'd, they just ran a scanner on it, and I've never heard of that before honestly. Either way, that isn't wheel horsepower, that's a theoretical crank horsepower rating. Wheel horsepower shows about a 20% loss vs crank horsepower for automatics. Even being generous I can't imagine you actually make over 370hp at the crank with your mods. Not to be a debbie downer, just saying.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
dtek

Dyno Results

Quote:
3rd gear pull as in the pull was done in 3rd gear. Light math on 3rd gear gearing vs rear end and max rpm is all I was saying.

But with what you're saying, you didn't get the car dyno'd, they just ran a scanner on it, and I've never heard of that before honestly. Either way, that isn't wheel horsepower, that's a theoretical crank horsepower rating. Wheel horsepower shows about a 20% loss vs crank horsepower for automatics. Even being generous I can't imagine you actually make over 370hp at the crank with your mods. Not to be a debbie downer, just saying.

I’ll get my car ACTUALLY dynoed one of these days lmao! 370hp doesn’t sound out of the realm of possibility to me if we’re taking about crank hp, why don’t you think I could pull that? CAI, E93 gas, Muffler delete frees up exhaust backpressure. Sorry, this sounds like I’m being rude, I’m not meaning to it’s a serious question.

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
I’ll get my car ACTUALLY dynoed one of these days lmao! 370hp doesn’t sound out of the realm of possibility to me if we’re taking about crank hp, why don’t you think I could pull that? CAI, E93 gas, Muffler delete frees up exhaust backpressure. Sorry, this sounds like I’m being rude, I’m not meaning to it’s a serious question.

No, by all means, the forum is a place for these kinda things.

Actually the first thing is off topic ish - back pressure isn't a thing. It's exhaust gas laminar flow, I assume when "back pressure" became a term it was because people didn't know the actual term. That's why an exhaust pipe too large for an engine produces less power, the gas becomes turbulent the further it is from the motor.

ANYWAY. With only an intake and (I assume) a 93 octane tune (unless you meant E85) there is no way you're even touching 290whp. If you meant E85, maybe. The catback exhaust on the V6 flows plenty well, you won't gain power from just removing mufflers. Spectre isn't exactly a high end brand, but moreover you probably don't have an air scoop so it's pulling air from the engine bay, hot air, not very dense. Tuning is a big deal, but again, tuned for 93 isn't going to be a huge power jump, I'd guess 15whp maybe. Like other posters said, an automatic V6 will dyno around 260whp, and the guys that are making 290+whp numbers are modified similarly to my car (which I unironically really need to dyno) or on E85. The first V6 to break 300whp N/A (and subsequently 310) to my knowledge took aftermarket cams and E85 plus being full bolt ons.

370hp is absolutely out of the realm of possibility basically unless you somehow have a factory freak. Modifications and tuning also do not stack - mods will free up power, tuning will tie them together. Diminishing returns. If an intake is advertised as 10whp and tuning a stock motor is advertised as 15whp you're not going to get 25whp from the two. If you want real power, get high flow cats or catless downpipes, a ported or 80mm TB, and the ported intake manifold and manifold spacer from JacFab, and you'll start getting where you want to be.

Words
Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
dtek

Dyno Results

Quote:
No, by all means, the forum is a place for these kinda things.

Actually the first thing is off topic ish - back pressure isn't a thing. It's exhaust gas laminar flow, I assume when "back pressure" became a term it was because people didn't know the actual term. That's why an exhaust pipe too large for an engine produces less power, the gas becomes turbulent the further it is from the motor.

ANYWAY. With only an intake and (I assume) a 93 octane tune (unless you meant E85) there is no way you're even touching 290whp. If you meant E85, maybe. The catback exhaust on the V6 flows plenty well, you won't gain power from just removing mufflers. Spectre isn't exactly a high end brand, but moreover you probably don't have an air scoop so it's pulling air from the engine bay, hot air, not very dense. Tuning is a big deal, but again, tuned for 93 isn't going to be a huge power jump, I'd guess 15whp maybe. Like other posters said, an automatic V6 will dyno around 260whp, and the guys that are making 290+whp numbers are modified similarly to my car (which I unironically really need to dyno) or on E85. The first V6 to break 300whp N/A (and subsequently 310) to my knowledge took aftermarket cams and E85 plus being full bolt ons.

370hp is absolutely out of the realm of possibility basically unless you somehow have a factory freak. Modifications and tuning also do not stack - mods will free up power, tuning will tie them together. Diminishing returns. If an intake is advertised as 10whp and tuning a stock motor is advertised as 15whp you're not going to get 25whp from the two. If you want real power, get high flow cats or catless downpipes, a ported or 80mm TB, and the ported intake manifold and manifold spacer from JacFab, and you'll start getting where you want to be.

Words

Nice write up! Thank you for clearing up the muffler delete for me. I don’t have the E85 flex fuel kit, and no gas station around me sells E85 also. As for the air scoop, here’s my car:

The only “air scoop” I have is the stock hood with the raised part in the back, would you recommend I cut out mailslots in the nose or go for the rectangular real air scoops? Was looking at some high flow cats last week, Solo cats seem pretty expensive, would these work practically the same?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cat.../dp/B01MXWAZBR

Ported TB was also next on my todo list because it being pretty inexpensive. I’ve heard of the ported intake manifold and intake manifold spacers, how are the gains on those two?

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...maro-12216.htm

That's the air scoop and washer relocation kit. It allows airflow while moving.

If you didn't want to get Solo high flows, ARH makes them also. Off the top of my head I don't know if the stock downpipes are 2.25" or 2.5" but the ARH products are definitely 2.5" and stainless. Personally I have catless downpipes. https://americanracingheaders.com/pr...nt=29943876164

If you don't have an aftermarket TB yet, you should see if you can swing the 80mm unit. More air is never bad. The ported intake manifold flows like 10-15% more air and actually gave a flat 10whp or slightly more when dyno'd. Power everywhere, one of the best modifications hands down. The manifold spacer just moves the peak torque band down in rpm for more useable power without hurting the peak hp numbers, a seat of the pants mod for like 10-15ftlbs I think from like 2500-5000rpm. I don't remember those numbers as well as other mods though.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
dtek

Quote:
https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...maro-12216.htm

That's the air scoop and washer relocation kit. It allows airflow while moving.

If you didn't want to get Solo high flows, ARH makes them also. Off the top of my head I don't know if the stock downpipes are 2.25" or 2.5" but the ARH products are definitely 2.5" and stainless. Personally I have catless downpipes. https://americanracingheaders.com/pr...nt=29943876164

If you don't have an aftermarket TB yet, you should see if you can swing the 80mm unit. More air is never bad. The ported intake manifold flows like 10-15% more air and actually gave a flat 10whp or slightly more when dyno'd. Power everywhere, one of the best modifications hands down. The manifold spacer just moves the peak torque band down in rpm for more useable power without hurting the peak hp numbers, a seat of the pants mod for like 10-15ftlbs I think from like 2500-5000rpm. I don't remember those numbers as well as other mods though.

Alright I’ll definitely be getting that scoop, thanks for the link. As for that 80mm Tb, is this a direct replacement or? I can’t remember but I don’t think the stock tb is 80mm. And can u provide the link to both the Tb and intake spacers please! As for the exhaust, stock 2.5 pipes until the H pipe then 2.25 out, as for that link I posted with the amazon cats how does that compare to a $500 hfc?

• Overkill 80mm TB
• JacFab Extendolator
• JacFab LaminatorFX
Old 07-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

http://www.jacfab.net/12-15-LFX-36-v6_c_12.html

Cheap cats melt.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Alright I’ll definitely be getting that scoop, thanks for the link. As for that 80mm Tb, is this a direct replacement or? I can’t remember but I don’t think the stock tb is 80mm. And can u provide the link to both the Tb and intake spacers please! As for the exhaust, stock 2.5 pipes until the H pipe then 2.25 out, as for that link I posted with the amazon cats how does that compare to a $500 hfc?

If you get the 80mm tb, then port match the intake to the tb and get the tune from will @ overkill because he tunes for this since that’s were you’ll essentially get the 80mm tb. I found the Corsa exhaust to be the best to my liking. Really opens it up. I have the intake extender as well. Just like someone had said, it changes the torque a bit. But just like old school days, to get more or different torque values you lengthen the intake runners. I originally had ipf tune and it seemed good but I got overkill and I don’t need the throttle controller at all now.
Go to overkill site to see what 80mm tb cold intake adapter you’ll need.

http://www.getoverkilled.ca/lfxcamaro.html

Last edited by SIM GhostrdrZ; 07-18-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Add website
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote