Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Lowering the ZL1

I think i asked this before but i can't find the thead...

Can the ZL1 be lowered without affecting MRC or PTM?

The Z comes with a pretty badass stance stock, but me personally if i had one i would want to go a little lower.

The ideal stance would be that of the SSX Camaro which seems to be a little lower. IMO the ZL1 with the SSX stance would be absolutely SICK, but if that would come at a cost of messing up the MRC or PTM i don't know if it would be worth it. Is there a way???

SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I was just thinking about this earlier today.... The SSX stance is pretty bad@ss!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post

The Z comes with a pretty badass stance stock, but me personally if i had one i would want to go a little lower.

The ideal stance would be that of the SSX Camaro which seems to be a little lower. IMO the ZL1 with the SSX stance would be absolutely SICK, but if that would come at a cost of messing up the MRC or PTM i don't know if it would be worth it. Is there a way???

It can be...just not by much. It's unlikely you'll see a "slammed" ZL1 with functioning MR.

On the CTS-V, they relocate the sensors so they're "zeroed" at the new height. The dampers don't care too much about spring rate, if I understand correctly, so having stiffer lowering coils wouldn't effect much except raise the handling limits.

It's certainly not a modification I'll be doing right of the bat -- but if the results are good from some of you early adopters ()...I will seriously consider it. Even a fraction of an inch drop will lower the CG enough to notice a difference...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
I agree, ZL-1 needs a minumum of a 1/2 inch drop Preferably a full inch of drop
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It can be...just not by much. It's unlikely you'll see a "slammed" ZL1 with functioning MR.

On the CTS-V, they relocate the sensors so they're "zeroed" at the new height. The dampers don't care too much about spring rate, if I understand correctly, so having stiffer lowering coils wouldn't effect much except raise the handling limits.

It's certainly not a modification I'll be doing right of the bat -- but if the results are good from some of you early adopters ()...I will seriously consider it. Even a fraction of an inch drop will lower the CG enough to notice a difference...

Sweet! Glad to know it can be done... Man i tell you a ZL1 with the SSX stance would be so freakin HOT!!! Can't wait for someone to do this.
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
CJ1034

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM Manual
You will probably tear up the undercarrige on something, the ZL1 is the same height as a Z06 Corvette, that is, low. At least here in Michigan, the first pothole will remove parts.
CJ1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
You can bet a nite with your wife someones gonna do it
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Check with PEDDERS...I believe they have a package in the works that will work just fine!

Shoot a pm to JusticePete, here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/privat...do=newpm&u=942
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post

It is in a GM storage facility I visited recently and still as gorgeous as the first time I saw it. The SSX is a show car and that is all it ever will be so we will never know what it could or couldn't do on track. This may be hard to believe, but I think I was more impressed by a 1915 GMC stake bed truck. The radiator was modular. The core had a flange that mated to flanged upper and lower tanks held in place by a lot of bolts. I think the oil pan held gallons of oil. Then there were the #1 VIN cars, race cars, Muscle Cars, Cadillac prototype show cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
I agree, ZL-1 needs a minumum of a 1/2 inch drop Preferably a full inch of drop
Could be just about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1034 View Post
You will probably tear up the undercarrige on something, the ZL1 is the same height as a Z06 Corvette, that is, low. At least here in Michigan, the first pothole will remove parts.
The only issue a lowered ZL1 presents the owner is the front fascia / splitter. It will be low, maybe as low as 4.5" off the ground. Maybe? Could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 Belair-man View Post
Maybe? Could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Check with PEDDERS...I believe they have a package in the works that will work just fine!

Shoot a pm to JusticePete, here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/privat...do=newpm&u=942
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
ValsZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
i think the suspension is perfect for this car, granted a little less fender gap would look better. have any of you guys come across a fisker karma in person? that car has no fender gap and it looks perfect i only wish major car manufactures could follow that trend but it is unlikely.
ValsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It will be interesting to see how it works out. I doubt it will take anything away, performance-wise, from the MRC, but i also thnk it looks pretty giod where it is. Is another half-inch going to be worth it?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It will be interesting to see how it works out. I doubt it will take anything away, performance-wise, from the MRC, but i also thnk it looks pretty giod where it is. Is another half-inch going to be worth it?...
Not worth it in my book unless you are on a pro circuit somewhere. Certainly not street friendly.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
An inch at the top is worth two at the bottom

That is an OEM ZL1 rear coil on the left. The Pedders coil on the right is .6mm thicker wire. What is really interesting is that Chevrolet now has coil wrap in the same place on the ZL1 rear coils that Pedders has been using on our lowering coils since 2009. If I didn't know better I would say that both coils were made at Pedders. At this time, only the red coil on the right is made at Pedders

Why would you lower a car that is already incredibly fast in the turns as was clearly demonstrated at the Ring? Let me count the ways How about just the highlights?

The fender gap and minimum road clearances used at GM for the Vette and ZL1 are aggressive for an OEM. As performance tuned as the ZL1 is, Pedders as an aftermarket company can do things GM won't do. Lowering the ZL1 an inch will have the bottom of the front spoiler / fascia 4.5" off the ground. That is pretty low and it will scrape on a good range of driveways and speed bumps. The driver will have to use a very gentle approach angle to navigate them. A Pedders driver knows this and doesn't mind it. Most new car buyers would not tolerate it.

Lowering the car will lower the CG and imporve handling. Raising the coil rates a bit will do the same. The MRC system will still measure and adjust the same 500 times per second. The MRC front struts on the Escalade and Denali respond very well to Pedders Lowering Coils. The CTS-V does the same with lowering coils. Expect your ZL1 to do it better.

Add a Pedders 32mm rear Z bar and adjustable 27mm front bar as upgrades to the 25mm front and 28mm rear bars on the ZL1 to wring a bit more out of the ZL1 in hard turns and hard launches. My guess is that the Camaro TEAM looked at very similar bars and bar ratios. They came to the conclusion that for all round use, for optimal customer satisfaction and longevity of the rear lower control arms and rear sway bar mounting points a 28mm solid bar was perfect. Pedders clients will not complain if they need new lower control arms at 75,000 miles because the droplink mounting area in the bottom of the arm is fatigued. Many OEM customers would complain if that happened at 150,000 miles. They also will never know just how well a 5th Gen can corner with the Pedders maxed out bars.

The Camaro TEAM upgraded the sub-frame bushes for 2012 and then again for the ZL1. Why did they stop where they stopped with the ZL1? They came to the conclusion that for all round use, for optimal customer satisfaction and longevity the denser hockey puck hard front sub-frame bushes were the limit. Pedders drivers want more. So we deliver it. Our EP1200 kit first the 2010 / 2011 5th Gen with some thin fingers on the ends of the bushes. Those fingers are removed for the ZL1, but we still install 95% of the EP1200 bush kit by weight.

My guess is we'll find homes for our ZL1 Track I kits.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 Belair-man View Post
You rawk!

Yes the SSX looks good even the ricer spoiler isnt bad on that car