Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It will be interesting to see how it works out. I doubt it will take anything away, performance-wise, from the MRC, but i also thnk it looks pretty good where it is. Is another half-inch going to be worth it?...
ZL1 owners are lining up at LPE for pulleys and tunes as well as heads, cams pulleys and tunes.

No matter what the OEM builds, there will always be owners that want more. Who could want more than a Ferrari delivers from the factory? Hmmm, Ferrari owners.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Not worth it in my book unless you are on a pro circuit somewhere. Certainly not street friendly.
True, but I've been in a car with Xas (Mindz') and that thing stuck like stink to sh1t. While I haven't been able to appreciate ZL1's handling yet, and it might be enough for when it is my time, I know there are compromises OEMs have to take into consideration (and I dont' hold that against them). I can take a little rougher ride for a gain in control and performance. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
ZL1 owners are lining up at LPE for pulleys and tunes as well as heads, cams pulleys and tunes.

No matter what the OEM builds, there will always be owners that want more. Who could want more than a Ferrari delivers from the factory? Hmmm, Ferrari owners.
... this is where I could come into a bit of a problem. While I'm not necessarily one of those tho don't or can't mind a low front end, they can be unavoidable, and I'm not necessarily willinging to chew-up the splitter (and lower grille to my understanding...) unless I know for sure it is worth it. I hate road rash, but appreciate performance a little more, so this will have to be a trade-off I take serious consideration into.

I have little doubt these will help performance. I'm definately still going through all the bushings and go poly all the way around, and figured the sway bars are probably another addition I'll be making. As far a tearing the lower mounts - I've been considering arms, too, anyways, so that's not as big a deal.

I've just been worrying about claims that the MRC III won't take to modifications too well. I've been assuming that because it's active, it will probably compansate enough that smaller mods', like these, wouldn't be a problem, so I'm interested to see your cars' results

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

BTW - Pete.

I haven't checked, but have to revised, or planning to revise your Suspension Book for ZL1 (and eventually 1LE)?

Thanks

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Just as the MR and PTM is best tuned for the stock tires I find it hard to believe it would still be ideal after lowering given the geometry and spring rate changes not to mention the roll bars. Not to say lowering can't improve handling performance just as a new tire migh but PTM and MR would no longer contain the ideal calibration for the car. Just my $0.02. I've been saying this for a while now and I've seen no evidence as of yet to lead me to believe otherwise. Again, it maybe doesn't matter as the car is completely changed anyway.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Just as the MR and PTM is best tuned for the stock tires I find it hard to believe it would still be ideal after lowering given the geometry and spring rate changes not to mention the roll bars. Not to say lowering can't improve handling performance just as a new tire migh but PTM and MR would no longer contain the ideal calibration for the car. Just my $0.02. I've been saying this for a while now and I've seen no evidence as of yet to lead me to believe otherwise. Again, it maybe doesn't matter as the car is completely changed anyway.
I'm not going to pretend I'm a great driver, or that I could drive faster without all the electronics, however, I'm kinda' going past what the MR can account for because I'm looking at it from a perspective that it's disabled. However - I know the shocks are still active, and if these sorts of mods' effects them in a negative manor, this will be an easy decision, IMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
We will never know the full potential of the MR dampers with modified suspension until the aftermarket has the ability to calibrate the system. Maybe the dampers are helping, hurting, or are a wash at any given state of the car but they are no longer ideal. So perhaps to unlock the full track potential of the ZL1 with modified suspension you would remove the system. This comes with additional trade offs. Just some things to consider. I'm not saying this is definately true but it is an unknown.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
JusticePete

Quote:
MRC has been sprinkled with techno-magic pixie dust. The data points input to the MRC system result in 1,000 adjustments per second and with a second wire, second coil added for virtually instant discharge are as close to magic pixie dust as you can get in the real world.

We have been working with various GM MRC system in AU and here in the States since it first appeared on the Holden HSV series about ten years ago. Even the earliest system had the capability to adjust for load. Weight of the driver and an 1/8 of a tank of fuel or four passengers, trunk full of luggage and a full tank of fuel (i.e. LOWERED vehicle). There are parameters that should not be exceeded to work with the MRC system. Stay within those parameters and let the MRC magic happen.

Sway bars will have no negative effect on the MRC system. The data the system collects include pitch and yaw. When body lean is reduced, the data reflects that accurately to the MRC system.

Better tires for the ZL1 are probably not street legal! While some ZL1 owners may be disappointed with the tread life, it is hard to imagine anyone being disappointed with the sticktion. On the other hand, a square wheel and tire setup with matching 305s up front
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
True, but I've been in a car with Xas (Mindz') and that thing stuck like stink to sh1t. While I haven't been able to appreciate ZL1's handling yet, and it might be enough for when it is my time, I know there are compromises OEMs have to take into consideration (and I dont' hold that against them). I can take a little rougher ride for a gain in control and performance. But...

... this is where I could come into a bit of a problem. While I'm not necessarily one of those tho don't or can't mind a low front end, they can be unavoidable, and I'm not necessarily willinging to chew-up the splitter (and lower grille to my understanding...) unless I know for sure it is worth it. I hate road rash, but appreciate performance a little more, so this will have to be a trade-off I take serious consideration into.

I have little doubt these will help performance. I'm definately still going through all the bushings and go poly all the way around, and figured the sway bars are probably another addition I'll be making. As far a tearing the lower mounts - I've been considering arms, too, anyways, so that's not as big a deal.

I've just been worrying about claims that the MRC III won't take to modifications too well. I've been assuming that because it's active, it will probably compansate enough that smaller mods', like these, wouldn't be a problem, so I'm interested to see your cars' results

I drove this cross country with three inches of clearance. The hills and mountains in Pennsylvania, the pot holes in Jersey, New York, Chicago and Detroit and more than one race track. I had only one problem with a suicidal raccoon and he would have cooked the the ZL1 front spoiler and lower grille too.

The MRC will not take to radical modifications. We don't plan to be radical. Just call us Conservative Activists
Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Thanks for that information, Pete. My interest is renewed to it's previous level

Are you guys going to run 19s, too?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
We will never know the full potential of the MR dampers with modified suspension until the aftermarket has the ability to calibrate the system. Maybe the dampers are helping, hurting, or are a wash at any given state of the car but they are no longer ideal. So perhaps to unlock the full track potential of the ZL1 with modified suspension you would remove the system. This comes with additional trade offs. Just some things to consider. I'm not saying this is definitely true but it is an unknown.
Improving on the MRC calibration in the after market is next to impossible at this time. There is no HP Tuners equivalent available for MRC. The lack of MRC tuning software coupled with the incredible amount of development work done by the Chevrolet Camaro Engineers and the integration into additional on board computers (the ZL1 has 32 on board computers) and systems tells me improved MRC cals are something we will not see quickly. Are they possible? Ask any computer hacker if they can get into a locked down system. Are they possible right now? Only from GM. Can you tweak the suspension and work within the current cals?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks for that information, Pete. My interest is renewed to it's previous level

Are you guys going to run 19s, too?...
I am intrigued with the idea of running the OEM GY 305s all around. In a perfect world we'll get a ZL1 setup Pedders style and run a bone stock ZL1 side by side to get our head to head data and of course publish it right here on C5.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am intrigued with the idea of running the OEM GY 305s all around. In a perfect world we'll get a ZL1 setup Pedders style and run a bone stock ZL1 side by side to get our head to head data and of course publish it right here on C5.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterEcho View Post

Have you seen the LPE numbers on stock suspension???
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
SinisterEcho

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6/LS3
I have seen some numbers... But I try to avoid getting into the ZL1 stuff. I will be more than content with my SS once it has everything Pedders...however, I love your write-ups. I always learn something new...