Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #12 - CONTAGION
Anyone with halos on a ZL1?

Has anyone on the forum put Oracle Halos or AAC Afterburner lights on a ZL1. Tried to have that done by my local shop, who usually does very good work, and they s**t kittens. They said it wasn't something they would recommend due to the way the lights are constructed.

I have spoken with AAC and they have been very helpful. I was just wondering if anyone has successfully done this.
ZmbHord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbHord View Post
Has anyone on the forum put Oracle Halos or AAC Afterburner lights on a ZL1. Tried to have that done by my local shop, who usually does very good work, and they s**t kittens. They said it wasn't something they would recommend due to the way the lights are constructed.

I have spoken with AAC and they have been very helpful. I was just wondering if anyone has successfully done this.
I'm about to have them installed. Check out the lighting section of the website, there are people who have installed them. What did your local shop mean by "the way the lights are constructed"? What lights are they talking about?
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

They indicated that the H-channel that the headlight lenses are mounted in deform under heat and they don't they they will reseat correctly.

AAC said they may not be controlling the temperature well enough.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
zl1bro

Quote:
They indicated that the H-channel that the headlight lenses are mounted in deform under heat and they don't they they will reseat correctly.

AAC said they may not be controlling the temperature well enough.
I am only planning to install the tail light AAC afterburners (CCFL). I thought you were talking about the tail lights.. is there an issue with the tail lights as well?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I have the JDP halos installed in my ZL1. I prefer them over the Oracle halos since they didn't require baking the headlights. I do have Oracle grill lights installed and the Technostalgia taillights.

Here is a pic of my front end:

Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

I believe you have to cut the lenses off of the tail lights to insert the afterburners and then epoxy them back in place. This worried my install shop.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Quote:
I believe you have to cut the lenses off of the tail lights to insert the afterburners and then epoxy them back in place. This worried my install shop.
I believe that AAC offers a core swap on the afterburner taillights. They have them preinstalled and you send them yours back when you have them installed. You could PM Jonathan to find out.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
zl1bro

Quote:
Yes, my local chevy dealer body shop was worried about not being able to seal them up adequately also. Also said they are hard to come apart. My view is that if the installer does a very careful job and tapes them tightly together after gluing, allows them to fully dry and inspects them well before installing them that it should all be good. If I were planning to drive this car a lot in bad weather I might think twice but its not the case. Worst case scenario? You have to buy new tail lights right? Not sure how much that would cost.. would be good to know..
Old 09-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Good point BRO. I am not sure of the replacement costs on the taillights, but the dealer said the replacement cost of the headlights were ~$1000 each. I would prefer not to replace something that expensive.

Good to know on the core swap. I am surprised my guy at AAC didn't mention that. But in fairness, he is working on install quotes if I take it to New Orleans so maybe it will be in the quote.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Guys, check out this link:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119407

Save yourself some headaches and let AAC do the work for you and get a LIFETIME warranty along with it. It's better to have them do it then a local dealer or shop that has never done it before.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
ZmbHord
2012 ZL1 #0012

Agreed
Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Take a look at the JDP motorsports color changing halo light kit. it does not require you to bake open your lights and you retain your existing stock halo, they look great and i love mine and everyone in our camaro club now wants to get rid of thier AAC and Phastek lights. And the kit is only 275. There is a whole post on here about them. check it out. Here is a pic, having trouble uploading video, i know its just showing the red, but it changes to several variations of color and i can control them with remote from 50' away from my car. Best system on the market in my opinion.
Attached Images

Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
zl1bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Guys, check out this link:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119407

Save yourself some headaches and let AAC do the work for you and get a LIFETIME warranty along with it. It's better to have them do it then a local dealer or shop that has never done it before.
Great suggestion. Thanks. Just spoke with AAC. I'm sending back my halo kit and having them do the install and do the core exchange. Much better way to go. Way more simple. And having a warranty is great..
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Trust me the AAC looks tacky and crappy next to the stock halo color change. Just saying and the 50 guys that we at the show this week from our 300 member Camaro club agree. Really think about it and look at it. All i had to do was change out the stock white led diode to the JDP color changing diode. If you want i will post my vid of the finished install. And it is very easy to go back to stock. Worth looking into before jumping. I spent 3 months looking at all systems and this was by far the best and easiest. I also can post a pic of mine next to an AAC, and a Phastek and mine look far better, just saying.
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote