Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
TSB about vibration around 55-70mph

I took my car into the dealer today. I thought it was just me driving my camaro over the winter and hitting some potholes. When I get around 70mph on the expressway, I can feel the car vibrating.

I still have the winter tires on there, they are the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow.

Anyhow, after waiting a couple of hours, the service rep shows me a service bulletin about this. It looks like it was dated 3-10-2010
So they said it is going to take awhile and I got a ride home to get my other car.

Can anyone post the bulletin? I'd like to read a bit more about it. I did a search and couldn't find it.

I got a call just recently, and the dealer is keeping my car overnight, and having a GM rep come in tomorrow to look at it. I hope it isn't something like my painted calipers causing the problem.

I thought it might have just been a bent wheel, and I would just get it repaired under the road hazard insurance that I got.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
#PIE0058: EI10067 - Engineering Information - Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel/Body or Seat of Vehicle While Driving at Highway Speeds on Smooth Roads - (Mar 19, 2010)

Subject:EI10067 -- Engineering Information -- Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel/Body or Seat of Vehicle While Driving at Highway Speeds on Smooth Roads

Models:2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Attention: Proceed with this PI ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the PI and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053C for more details on the use of Engineering Information PIs.

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2421444&from=bcpi#ss1-2421444">Condition

Important: If the customer did not bring their vehicle in for this concern, DO NOT proceed with this PI.
Some customers may comment on shaking/vibration feeling while driving at highway speeds (typically between 55-70 mph (88-112 km/h)) on smooth roads.
Vibrations in the steering wheel may also be accompanied by vibration in the body and/or seat but may be more obvious to the driver due to contact with the steering wheel. When the steering wheel is held loosely on smooth roads, driving straight ahead, slight steering wheel oscillation may be visible.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2421444&from=bcpi#ss2-2421444">Cause

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the vibration. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles PRIOR to repair that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" the customer's concern and develop/validate a field fix.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2421444&from=bcpi#ss3-2421444">Instructions

Road Testing

In order to provide the best diagnostic information, a road test with an EVA (Electronic Vibration Analyzer) or equivalent should be conducted. Convenient locations for the magnetic transducer are the steering column, the driver front seat track and the trunk floor pan over the rear of the propshaft. If possible, you should record your readings in each location between 50-70 mph (80-112 km/h).
Important: If the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period of time, you should drive the vehicle for at least 10 miles (16 km) to remove any tire flat-spotting.
Important: Be sure tire pressure is set to the placard values.
• Visually inspect the tires and the wheels. Inspect for evidence of the following conditions:

• Missing balance weights
• Bent rim flange
• Irregular tire wear
• Incomplete bead seating
• Tire irregularities (including pressure settings)
• Mud/ice build-up in wheel
• Stones in the tire tread
• Verify that aftermarket wheels and/or tires are not in use.
• Road test the vehicle using the EVA essential tool while driving for a sufficient distance on a known, smooth road surface to duplicate the condition. Determine if the vehicle is sensitive to brake apply. If the brakes are applied lightly and the pulsation felt in the steering wheel increases, discontinue this EI and refer to the Brakes section of SI that deals with brake-induced pulsation.

• Next, record the Hertz (Hz) reading as displayed by the EVA. This should be done after a tire break-in period of at least 10 miles (16 km) at 45 mph (72 km/h) or greater, in order to eliminate any possible tire flat-spotting. This reading confirms what the vehicle vibration frequency is prior to vehicle service and documents the amount of improvement occurring as the result of the various steps taken to repair. If the EVA indicates a 45-55 Hz propshaft vibration, discontinue this EI and follow normal diagnostics in SI for driveline vibrations.

• If the vibration smooths out during the road test, tire flat-spotting is the cause. Provide the explanation to the customer. The vibration is due to the vehicle being parked for long periods of time and that it's the nature of the tire to take a set. You may find additional information by referring to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-10-007E: Information on Tire/Wheel Characteristics (Vibration, Balance, Shake, Flat Spotting) of GM Original Equipment Tires.
If the vibration source is determined to be the tire/wheel assemblies, perform the following:Wheel and Tire Assembly Balance & Road Force Variation Check
  1. <LI type=1>Measure the assembly balance, radial force variation and radial runout. Do not match mount or rebalance the assemblies at this time. Record the values for each assembly and the wheel position. Note: If a runout/balancing machine is used, record radial runout of the tire/wheel assemblies. If one or more of the tire/wheel assemblies are more than.040 in (0.10 cm), this could be a source of vibration. Readings of.030 in (0.08 cm) or less are preferable for sensitive customers.

2. Confirm the wheel hubs are clean and corrosion free - correct if required. Re-mount the tire/wheel assemblies and ensure that the wheels are as perfectly centered on the hub as possible. Tighten all nuts first by hand, observing the recommended "star" pattern. Be certain the wheel remains perfectly centered. Fully tighten the nuts using a torque wrench, NOT a torque stick again in the "star" pattern to 190 N·m (140 lb ft).
Important: When performing the second road test, it is not necessary to drive an extended distance to remove flat spotting of the tires.
Once again road test the vehicle and record the EVA values. Note if there was not an improvement in the vibration concern. Contact the engineer below with your collected data. The engineer will advise the proper corrective action at that time.

There you go
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Awesome thanks!

Looks like they are still gathering data as to why this is happening, thus the need for GM wanting to see my car.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
Be certain the wheel remains perfectly centered. Fully tighten the nuts using a torque wrench, NOT a torque stick again in the "star" pattern to 190 N·m (140 lb ft).
Well I guess this answers the question about lug nut torque in the other threads. Still doesn't answer why mine came new (yes I checked them the minute I got home) at 100....
Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
Thanks for the lug nut torque information. I had the winter tires tightened to 140 pdfeet and got worried about putting the summers back on (in the next couple of weeks). So there you go, 140 pds feet (or 190 Nm for the Canucks on the forum).
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
skuttduck

Just got off the phone with the service rep. They said they balanced the tires again, and the slight vibration I was getting was from the Pirelli scorpion Ice and snow tires.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Just got off the phone with the service rep. They said they balanced the tires again, and the slight vibration I was getting was from the Pirelli scorpion Ice and snow tires.

Yep that would do it! Im glad they figured out your issue.
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
SamReidland

Drives: 17 Black 1LE
I have had mine in twice for a vibration around 70. Re-balanced the tires and it is still there. I need to look into this one.
SamReidland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Basenji

Drives: Camaro
#PIE0058: EI10067 - Engineering Information - Shake/Vibration in Steering Wheel/Body or Seat of Vehicle While Driving at Highway Speeds on Smooth Roads - (Mar 19, 2010)

Has anyone heard anything new on this bulletin?
Basenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i had a vibration 3 days off th truck in the rear between 70 and 100, rebalance of the rear tires and all gone, back to making speed runs over 100
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm not sure if mine vibrates a little because it sits in the garage a lot and the tires get out of round, or if it just rides rought and I can feel every dip and crack on the road. Some roads can make your car feel like it's vibrating too.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
truckin-on

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 'vert IOM/IO
Any updates on this problem?

Vibration over 75mph - 2011 2ss convert
I have this exact problem on my new 2011 2SS 'vert. Doesn't really feel like wheels/tires to me - more like a drive-train vibration perhaps from the drive-shaft or half-shafts. Tire balance issues usually would show up at lower speeds also, but my car is smooth up through 70. The vibration at 78 is bad enough that the image in the rear view mirror is blurry. Annoying for sure for a $43k car! My 2000 Z28 'vert was smooth as silk the whole way up to the limit.

Anyone have any luck getting this addressed? Any updates from GM on it?
truckin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Lenny413

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
Vibration issues 68 - 72 mph

I'm having the same issues. Just got my 2SS back from the dealer service center for the second time yesterday.

The first time it was in they said it had a bent rim (which I believe because my wife has a tendency to take out curbs.) They replaced the rim and it seemed to help, but the vibration is still there. When it was really bad, I could see the rear view mirror getting blurry due to vibration as someone else had mentioned. Since the repair, that is not the case but the vibration is still a nuisance.

The dealer said they couldn't find a vibration when I took it in this last time, so I even took the shop foreman for a ride to replicate it. (Between 68 to 72 mph and around 1850 rpm.) It was definitely doing it while I drove him around, but he said he couldn't feel it. In his defense, the road wasn't in the best of shape and he was in the passenger seat. He also drove it himself though and said he couldn't detect it.

I guess it could be another rim/tire issue... but the problem I have is that the vibration only occurs in a specific speed range under a specific engine load. If I'm coasting downhill at 69 mph, the vibration goes away. But if I'm on a flat surface or mild incline when the engine needs to give just a touch more power, than the vibration comes back.

So the dealer said they couldn't find anything and sent me on my way. FRUSTRATING!
Lenny413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
As per the bulletin, your issue seems more likely related to a driveline imbalance due to the fact that it increases under acceleration. Have you had the problem since day one or did it start suddenly?

My vibration started after my wheels were chromed and new tires installed on the rear, so it is definitely wheel/tire related.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote