Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
I'm DONE School!!!!!!

Dont know why im really posting this.... but i am...... i finally finished school today.... wrote my last final!

Im done my Bachelors in Business Administration in Human Resources Management and minored BioPsychology.... (wow thats pretty long typed out in full form).....

short version is I majored in Business in HRM.

I guess im just so happy... I needed to share this with the boys and girls on this forum that are still in school........ I know how it feels..... it feels like its never going to end..... but it does.... stick with it!

these last four and half years took forever..... but they do end eventually....

next few months im taking off before i start applying for jobs.... my dad and a few others who are older now that graduated with degrees are all saying to take some time off before i hit the work force again.....

there like your 21 now and your gunna be working forever believe us now is the time to take a few months off.... so I am! Im planning on taking this summer off until August and just relaxing... which is hard to when all those student loans are mounted up and you know you gotta start paying soon, LOL!

But ive been going full time for 4 and half years non stop (no summers off).... so I thought ive earned the time off and besides I could use the time to get back in shape too!! and perhaps maybe get a social life going again!

Anyways thats my rant...... and good luck to everyone else in school in the next semester!

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
be careful with that break thing...i grad. in Dec and said i was gonna take a couple months off...well its now 4 months later almost 5 and i just finalized my resume.(same degree by the way)

i'm just curious, how much do you think your starting salary should be?? I'm gonna start interviews here so i'm trying to get a basic idea of what people are asking for a starting salary... i wanna push em as high as they will go, i need a Camaro when they come out!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't take a break. Start making money. It's going to be a while before anyone hires you into a job you want anyway, so take that as your break. I promise you it will pay off in the end.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
be careful with that break thing...i grad. in Dec and said i was gonna take a couple months off...well its now 4 months later almost 5 and i just finalized my resume.(same degree by the way)

i'm just curious, how much do you think your starting salary should be?? I'm gonna start interviews here so i'm trying to get a basic idea of what people are asking for a starting salary... i wanna push em as high as they will go, i need a Camaro when they come out!!!!
yeah i know.... i dont think i can afford to stay on break for too long because of financial concerns... Im going to start applying in a couple months... so that i give myself another 2 months to secure a job.... I dont wanna stay hanging around past August doing nothing.

In response to the pay grade things well...... im not sure what your business major is in specifically, but, for human resources entry to mid level job..... I think im looking at about 40k..... mind you that is CANADIAN...... i dont know what the market would be like in the US.

From what I have been told.... your looking at about the same for a entry-mid level in states... about 40k or so.

Also remember if ou relevant experience along with you degree... your situation and ability to apply to jobs will change and probably allow you to get higher paying jobs.

I know here in BC... if you have about 3 years experience and a HR degree your looking at 55-65k CAD.

JAY
Old 04-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Don't take a break. Start making money. It's going to be a while before anyone hires you into a job you want anyway, so take that as your break. I promise you it will pay off in the end.
I hear yah.... I was thinking the same thing.... but my situation goes something like this....

I spent only four years in high school... I spent every summer since grade 8 in summer school taking extra courses so that I could graduate early from high school. Which I did.... i graduated from grade 12 just as i turned 16. so I got one summer off after grade 12 until i started university.

and since then i haven't taken a single semester off for the last 4 and half years...... been working p/t here and there and full time school.

Currently, I just turned 21 and have now graduated..... Im burnt out... exhausted and just plain out NEED a break.... although I rather not take one.

But I have my parents support on this one.... and they want to me to take a break and they said they would help me out in finances for the next bit if need be.... which I dont think I do... but just incase I do.... they are there for me.

But i do plan on making this break a productive one..... I have gained some major weight over stress from school and being lazy and what not.... I could really use the time to get my health back in shape.... which is pretty important too me... so I see this is an opportunity to get my health physically and mentally back on track.

I also plan on studying for my CHRP exam... I'm writing that so that im certified HR professional.... Also I want to study and write the LSAT for future purposes if I want to back to law school.

In addition, I have been thinking of moving down south to the US.... so i think i may take this time to do some re-con on schools and potential jobs down south.

And there are a bunch of household improvements and stuff that need to be done at my parents house... so i can do those for them.... and there are about a billion small things that I have been putting off because of school that I could get done over the break and not to mention job applications and interviews take up time as well.

So i think when I look at it that way.... I NEED THE BREAK, LOL!

And i dont mind if by the end of the break I dont have the job i WANT..... ill just take a temp job to pay the bills and keep applying..... Im not in that much money trouble that im desperate.

but thanks for the advice....

JAY
Old 04-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Congratulations Jay , but I kinda agree with you, you've got your whole life ahead off you to work. Take a "little" time off enjoy yourself an recharge your batteries.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm done too, mechanical engineering. I will start applying to places in late may, if I don't get many bites early on I will get a part time job to get some living cash. Use the rest of my time to continue searching, calling, running around, etc. I've heard people who settled for a paycheck then became too tired afterwork to continue looking for a job. Not going to happen with me.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Congratulations Jay , but I kinda agree with you, you've got your whole life ahead off you to work. Take a "little" time off enjoy yourself an recharge your batteries.
thanks Jak.... recharging as we speak, lol..... ive already started on the gym thing... which is priority.

JAY
Old 04-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'm done too, mechanical engineering. I will start applying to places in late may, if I don't get many bites early on I will get a part time job to get some living cash. Use the rest of my time to continue searching, calling, running around, etc. I've heard people who settled for a paycheck then became too tired afterwork to continue looking for a job. Not going to happen with me.
wow DG... mech. engineering is something else... I suck at math... could never do that.

Its a great feeling when your just done-done, eh!

8 -9 of us from our practicum class went out and got drunk after class at like 2pm on friday because we were all so happy that we were done!

It was great.

But I dont think you need worry so much about the job DG as much as say a business major would need to.... more competition in this field and more requirements.

Engineering grads usually land some pretty solid jobs real quick with decent pay's.

JAY
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
wow DG... mech. engineering is something else... I suck at math... could never do that.

Its a great feeling when your just done-done, eh!

8 -9 of us from our practicum class went out and got drunk after class at like 2pm on friday because we were all so happy that we were done!

It was great.

But I dont think you need worry so much about the job DG as much as say a business major would need to.... more competition in this field and more requirements.

Engineering grads usually land some pretty solid jobs real quick with decent pay's.
me and some of my friends started to drink at 5 on the day of our last exam . . . which was at 7! It covered 1/3 of the course, 4 option multiple choice, liberal studies elective. Everyone was done in 25 min. It was awesome, my one friend hardly remembers writing the exam.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
me and some of my friends started to drink at 5 on the day of our last exam . . . which was at 7! It covered 1/3 of the course, 4 option multiple choice, liberal studies elective. Everyone was done in 25 min. It was awesome, my one friend hardly remembers writing the exam.
hahaha.... good times eh.

JAY
Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Grats!
Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Congratulations, brudda!!!

I remember finishing EVERYTHING and taking my last test. God, it was wonderful! Just knowing that school was OVER and I didn't have to continue was awesome.

Then, my CRJ professor asked if I wanted to get my Masters offering some great classes to me. Ugh.............
Old 04-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #14
SSMUFF

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Wow, don't even get me started on this. It's great to take a break but you shouldn't you have a had a job by now? I think the best way to land that one job is at the career fair or recuiting day. Maybe the engineering school I went to was different/better but I had several job offers before finishing school. All I had to do was tell them a starting date. Maybe 1 month or maybe 3 months.... Sure you can work forever but those are the same people who rely on social security checks to pay for there double wide.

I wish I had finished school faster then 5 years. I think man I would/could have had that position or that pay!
Closed Thread