Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #491
Dizzy82


 
Dizzy82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 87114
Posts: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
everyone is overlooking the FACT that its a federal crime to add a catch can device to your PCV system. Or mod it in any other way, even if it helps the system in a positive way
So EVERYONE on CAMARO5 is a felon?
__________________
Power is worthless without control. The 2nd protects the 1st.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan coil overs, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Dynamat, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #492
CCMADONNA

 
CCMADONNA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
So EVERYONE on CAMARO5 is a felon?
yup.
__________________

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #493
Jc's1LE

 
Drives: 2015 SW 1LE BA NPP Recaros
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: lake mary FL
Posts: 909
So i have a question then when my 1LE was ready for pick at the dealer the catch can was already installed by them.
Jc's1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #494
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE
 
STINGER BEE's Avatar
 
Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Great White North*****
Posts: 2,394
Everyone with a catch can is a Felon,this gotta be a Joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
yup.
__________________
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Last edited by STINGER BEE; 05-23-2016 at 05:00 PM.
STINGER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 AM   #495
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
Please cite the source.
It's not that I am doubting you, but I would like an unequivocal answer, not an article that says, "a catch-can may violate federal law"
I dont have to cite the source.

FACT: PCV is a emission control device
http://www.econofix.com/pcv.html
FACT:change any part of any emission control device difference from OEM spec is federal crime. I how ever believe it might be ok to change to another certified system.


Modding your PCV system is the same thing as deleting your cats.

If you change any part of PCV you technically speaking have committed a federal crime, which usually for this results in a fine.

The point i am trying to make is that this would be a easy case for GM because the OP has committed a federal crime.

guys please just google what i am saying, its really not a hard concept to understand. If i was a lawyer it would be so easy to tell the court the OP has changed a finely tuned emission control device.

When money is on the line, they will try everything they can to win the case.

Last edited by mikeSS; 05-23-2016 at 12:29 AM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #496
Superman09
Account SNAFU
 
Superman09's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I dont have to cite the source.

FACT: PCV is a emission control device
http://www.econofix.com/pcv.html
FACT:change any part of any emission control device difference from OEM spec is federal crime. I how ever believe it might be ok to change to another certified system.


Modding your PCV system is the same thing as deleting your cats.

If you change any part of PCV you technically speaking have committed a federal crime, which usually for this results in a fine.

The point i am trying to make is that this would be a easy case for GM because the OP has committed a federal crime.

guys please just google what i am saying, its really not a hard concept to understand. If i was a lawyer it would be so easy to tell the court the OP has changed a finely tuned emission control device.

When money is on the line, they will try everything they can to win the case.
It's a federal crime to "tamper" with the emissions system. And the definition of tamper is "Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine." I have neither removed nor made inoperable the PCV system.

Further the EPA's policy states "This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected" which a my catch can does not adversely affect the emissions system, if anything it improves it.
Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 AM   #497
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,412
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc's1LE View Post
So i have a question then when my 1LE was ready for pick at the dealer the catch can was already installed by them.
What GM includes on the 1LE is a clean side oil catching device. The catch can being discussed with this issue is the catch cans the car really needs. It is on the dirty side of PVC system.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:55 AM   #498
motorhead


 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: Love the one you're with
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Downtown Charlie Brown
Posts: 11,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I dont have to cite the source.

FACT: PCV is a emission control device
http://www.econofix.com/pcv.html
FACT:change any part of any emission control device difference from OEM spec is federal crime. I how ever believe it might be ok to change to another certified system.


Modding your PCV system is the same thing as deleting your cats.

If you change any part of PCV you technically speaking have committed a federal crime, which usually for this results in a fine.

The point i am trying to make is that this would be a easy case for GM because the OP has committed a federal crime.

guys please just google what i am saying, its really not a hard concept to understand. If i was a lawyer it would be so easy to tell the court the OP has changed a finely tuned emission control device.

When money is on the line, they will try everything they can to win the case.
I could see them using this angle if it is in the slightest of grey areas. Good point.

If the catch can is an emissions certified componet and it was installed to manufacturer specs then there argument would be worthless. Regardless, they still would have to prove how it caused the oil pump to fail if that is what really happened to his car. I haven't read definitely that that was the failure.
motorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #499
Camaro Dude
and SLEDGE
 
Camaro Dude's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 1LE, 2SS, NPP
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
....

If you change any part of PCV you technically speaking have committed a federal crime, which usually for this results in a fine.

The point i am trying to make is that this would be a easy case for GM because the OP has committed a federal crime.

guys please just google what i am saying, its really not a hard concept to understand. If i was a lawyer it would be so easy to tell the court the OP has changed a finely tuned emission control device.
We understand your point.

The judge could fine the dude on a completely different citation, having absolutely nothing to do with the accused oil pump failure .

So you are saying, by committing a federal crime, due to tampering with emissions control device, this thus renders your entire powertrain warranty void?

This includes: Alternator, Oil pump, all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and superchargers....transmission, transaxle, rear diff, etc?

If that is the case(which I doubt), then it's time for the manufacturers to re-write the rule book, and contract in a clean one liner, and end this once and for all. That would be a game changer for sure.

Accusing the defendant with tampering with the emissions device, and breaking the law, and accusing the accused with hiding their head in the sand on faulty relief valves in the oil pump, causing catastrophic engine failure, may very well be two entirely different cases, as far as a judge may be concerned, that is our point here, well at least mine.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #500
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino
 
Mr. Stacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
It's a federal crime to "tamper" with the emissions system. And the definition of tamper is "Tampering is removing or making inoperable any system or device used to control emissions from a motor vehicle engine." I have neither removed nor made inoperable the PCV system.

Further the EPA's policy states "This policy states that the EPA will not consider any modification to a certified configuration to be a violation of federal law if there is a reasonable basis that emissions are not adversely affected" which a my catch can does not adversely affect the emissions system, if anything it improves it.
Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
__________________
I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
Mr. Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #501
Elite Engineering


 
Elite Engineering's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
everyone is overlooking the FACT that its a federal crime to add a catch can device to your PCV system. Or mod it in any other way, even if it helps the system in a positive way
Want to correct this statement, this is ONLY the case for the vented, breathers, or other cans/tanks that defeat the functions of the PCV system. ALL Elite Engineering systems are Emissions compliant and have zero negative effect on the PCV system and also reduce tail-pipe emissions. This again falls into what can and cannot legally void the warranty. So many "snake oil" varieties are being sold on EBay and from vendors that defeat or delete the PCV system and/or it's functions, and those DO give grounds to void as they reduce engine life and some cause engine damage over time as well as being illegal in all 50 States to use on the street. ONLY CA do we not have the CA specific CARB cert yet, but federally we comply by retaining a cloesd system that does not reduce any of the PCV systems functions, in fact ours enhance the factory PCV system if you get the E2-X dual valve or the E2 and utilize the dual outlets properly with the proper check valves.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #502
ml8766
 
Drives: 2012 White RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2
Signed. Good luck!
ml8766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #503
FloridaBill
 
FloridaBill's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 RRM 1SS LS3 NPP
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
I dont have to cite the source.

FACT: PCV is a emission control device
http://www.econofix.com/pcv.html
FACT:change any part of any emission control device difference from OEM spec is federal crime.
So is cutting the tags off of your pillow.... No one is doing time over it.
__________________
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #504
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
So is cutting the tags off of your pillow.... No one is doing time over it.
If you bothered to read the tag, it is only to be cut by the consumer ... Just saying
__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.