Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #15
KB85
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Id keep the vvt and the 1/4 mile fast list would back that up.
KB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #16
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
The second quote is trying to save you little money by putting 5 qts of oil in instead of 8
Old 08-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
TLewis24

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I think even $4k for that is mentally insane. I can tell you that I have never had much hands on experience inside of an engine but after all the resources on this site and online/youtube, my car now has a TSP stage 2 cam, upgraded valvetrain, long tube headers, all that I installed myself. For the cam/valvetrain upgrades that all cost me just under $1500 (that is including some new tools I needed.) so honestly, save some money and have some fun with it over the winter. The biggest piece of advise I've given everyone that I've talked into installing their cam is simply don't put a time restriction on yourself. Don't "cram" it into a weekend just because someone said you can. I would agree that I could do it in a weekend or single day now that I've had the experience but my first time I spent around 4-5 days just ensuring I did everything very clean and organized. It also helps to triple check every torque spec along the way..

At the end of the day you'll feel much more confident about the fact that all the engine work was done by you. This probably hinders your resell value since you won't have a performance shop receipt.. but I feel much more comfortable knowing my cam was cleaned properly, installed properly, and all the valve train was changed over properly with the best recommended torque specs.

I don't know anything about installing the torque converter kits since mine is an LS3 M6 but you could at least get all of it done to this point and have a shop finish the trans upgrade.. but again it may be possible based on the resources we have available to do it over the winter.

If you have the money to shell out.. go ahead, but I can think of many other things you can do with the spare change!
TLewis24 is offline   Reply With Quote