Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Silicone would just eventually blow out ….. not the best versus compressed metal....you will of course need a tune removing the code for delayed response from the O2s up front being farther away from the engine , and the rears being deleted with their codes to stop the back and forth reading of the two o2 set up compared to older set ups with one set....

and or a dyno tuning session; if not a hand held preloaded tune from a vendor for your mods. Many do the 160 thermostat at the same time,( prep for future cam), and have the fans on earlier also along with any other tweaks such as transmission or Torque management tweak AFR adjustment etc...timing,,,,,,, And remember the heat from headers has a tendency to heat soak starters.... so let it cool off, or wrap them, most heat blocking products to apply to the starter,( non header wrap), are just so so because they can hold in heat also... And don't forget to retorque your header bolts now as they have heated and expanded with the headers...…..
Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Forget the goop, use OEM gaskets they’re the best for headers.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #17
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Silicone would just eventually blow out ….. not the best versus compressed metal....you will of course need a tune removing the code for delayed response from the O2s up front being farther away from the engine , and the rears being deleted with their codes to stop the back and forth reading of the two o2 set up compared to older set ups with one set....

and or a dyno tuning session; if not a hand held preloaded tune from a vendor for your mods. Many do the 160 thermostat at the same time,( prep for future cam), and have the fans on earlier also along with any other tweaks such as transmission or Torque management tweak AFR adjustment etc...timing,,,,,,, And remember the heat from headers has a tendency to heat soak starters.... so let it cool off, or wrap them, most heat blocking products to apply to the starter,( non header wrap), are just so so because they can hold in heat also... And don't forget to retorque your header bolts now as they have heated and expanded with the headers...…..
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Great information. I got the headers install done and loaded the remote tune from DynoSteve. Noticable gains with the butt dyno.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:56 AM   #18
zlathim

Anyone looking for advice, I recommend DynaSteve. Call nim, its worth the effort.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #19
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Forget the goop, use OEM gaskets they’re the best for headers.
Done and done. Thanks for the good advice!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Looks great!! Am I going to regret not getting the insulated spark plug wire boots?
Yes. Order them up. Your wires will thank you
Old 10-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #21
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I've found the Taylor 409 wires hold up great to the heat, but the protection sleeves are good insurance.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #22
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Done and done. Thanks for the good advice!
Happy to answer any questions I can. I did my headers on jack stands in my garage with a little help from a friend because I couldn't cram my big hands in between the brake lines and headers to get the bolts started properly without potentially cross threading one.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Thanks i got the heat insulators from a member with some wires but didnt like the fit of the wires plus wasnt to positive of a lock on the plug so dont buy vms racing wires buy the taylors do it right first time its cheaper. As for starter i wrapped my stock heat shield with dei cool tape probably wont do much but i figured why not
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #24
zlathim

Great advice. Thanks everyone!!