Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #15
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
To each his own, I guess. I think the crackle and popping sounds like ass, and I love a good sounding, loud exhaust.
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEstyle View Post
To each his own, I guess. I think the crackle and popping sounds like ass, and I love a good sounding, loud exhaust.
That's it- Cackle & Popping every time I start up my SS. Love it.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #17
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I make my exhaust pop every available opportunity. Between shifts, slowing down, down shifting. You name it I pop it. Don’t believe anyone is going to mistake my car for a piece of sh!t. If your car does, you need more hp!

Every car in my stable is internally combusted and forced air inducted by turbos or superchargers. God bless America!!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #18
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Yeah, a reminder of just how poor overall carburetor behavior with big cams really was.

Imitating that now is not flattery, it's the result of seeing the past through rose-tinted glasses.

Norm

I thought it was for fuel savings and better engine braking.
Like when you hear the big rigs using their Jake Brake. I have to admit that can be annoying, but there is a purpose to it.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #19
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Wake up its called exhaust BURBLE for a lot of it...

Exhaust Burble on Acceleration

Some cars' exhaust systems will produce an odd burble or bubbling noise. For the most part this is deliberate when it occurs in vehicles upon acceleration, but not always. Many "street racers" and similar cars have undergone a few modifications to give them better fuel efficiency at higher RPMs. In order for this to occur, the lifters and timing mechanism for the sequence of combustion in the engine's cylinders is altered. This means that, while the engine timing will work well at much higher RPM, the combustion process at lower speeds is slightly off. The burble is in actual fact a series of lean misfirings caused by this timing which rumble out through the exhaust system. It causes no serious damage to the engine, and soon disappears once the vehicle has reached high speeds.

Exhaust Burble on Deceleration

An exhaust burble, or throaty popping noise which could be likened to a babbling brook, is has a different cause if it only occurs when suddenly backing off on a vehicle's throttle. Essentially, the sudden easing off the throttle causes an immediate decrease in exhaust emissions to the degree that atmospheric pressure surrounding the exhaust pipe pushes cool air up into the exhaust system. This air collides with the warm exhaust gasses and creates a rumbling not unlike thunder. Normally this will only happen if the tailpipe has too wide a diameter to maintain equalized air pressure, or there is a seam in the exhaust pipes which is not air tight.

Repairs

Some people like having the throaty noise of an exhaust burble; some do not. For those who do not want this sound, there are ways of fixing it. For an exhaust burble on acceleration, the engine must undergo a professional tune-up including resetting the timing mechanism and lifters; keep in mind this will decrease high speed engine performance, but increase the quality of performance at low speeds. For exhaust burbles upon deceleration, the seams of the exhaust pipe must be sealed against unwanted air entry, or the pipe must be swapped out for one of a smaller diameter to maintain equalized pressure between exhaust and the surrounding atmosphere.

Now that's basically a non problem for most a nice burble is race car and you cant deal with out it in real racecars or spend stupid time dealing with trying to eliminate it... such as here a article by thunder max....

http://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/DecelPop1.pdf

Unspent fuel from the cut off meets with air coming in....ignites in headers etc...solution for some....be stupid valve the exhaust or decrease size of exhaust pipe..or alter tune of vehicle to make it less rich and no good fuel cut off wasting fuel at cut off and....decreasing power at WOT by limiting fuel flowing..... so perfectly cutting off the decel popping it can be done …. and its with remapping of the AFR with a good dyno tune many may do it just to try to quiet it down...… then again fighting against something people spend money doing increasing the performance of the engine and the sound of the exhaust makes it more rare.... and frankly not so much into hurting the exhaust valves they are just getting dirtier anyway..... and go to any good track and hear the Corvettes or European Exotics race the track and you hear Burble and Decel Popping...even little ricers on the street trying to dump extra fuel to make it pop.... and they drool over my exhaust....with their FART trumpets magnifying their little sounds to the max to make it louder on purpose...

And you want to make it louder heres a article on it.....From a SRT 8 owner who wishes he had it...…..

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...pping-on-decel
Old 10-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Diesel/Jake brake noise is a different phenomenon, intentionally generated by a very different method from any cause of spark-ignition popping. It's misleading to assume that the reason for using a Jake brake also applies to spark-ignition engines simply because noise is made in both situations.

Norm
Old 10-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #21
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Quote:
Diesel/Jake brake noise is a different phenomenon, intentionally generated by a very different method from any cause of spark-ignition popping. It's misleading to assume that the reason for using a Jake brake also applies to spark-ignition engines simply because noise is made in both situations.

Norm

I think you're more of a Cliff Claven than a Norm Peterson.
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Why stop there? Is not the whole car a mere imitation of something that went before?
Popping that can't be avoided is one thing, and making it happen where it otherwise wouldn't is right up there with those sound tubes that some car makers have been using.

Norm
Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #23
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
I think you're more of a Cliff Claven than a Norm Peterson.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #24
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
https://insideevs.com/app-tesla-mode...ke-muscle-car/ you can make your Tesla sound like anything you want.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #25
3rdGenAg2010

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Popping that can't be avoided is one thing, and making it happen where it otherwise wouldn't is right up there with those sound tubes that some car makers have been using.

Norm

Ignorant question, but what specifically makes it popping sound. I assumed its incomplete combustion occurring past the exhaust valves

I personally like it alot.

Last edited by 3rdGenAg2010; 10-22-2018 at 10:16 PM.
3rdGenAg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #26
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Personally, I love it!! The NPP exhaust is music to my ears, either accelerating or decelerating!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #27
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEstyle View Post
Sounds like ass.....meaning like giant car farts?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #28
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Lots of opinions in here...

It's starting to get that stink!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote