Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Adding Solo J pipes to SW Retro Chambered 3"

Is this possible? I'm getting quite a bit of drone inside so was wondering if this was possible?
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Maybe. Dont know what the setup looks like or the room to work with.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Birm

It's a chambered muffler straight thru design. No real deviation in size from the 3" pipes
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

here's a shot of mine.Flowaster outlaws, about 5" dia. You need a 2.5" section of pipe 28.5" long and formed the same per side, welded just ahead of the muffler in the same exact place. Lots of thread on this with more detail.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Birm

Did they help you quite a bit?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Yes. I tried the resonated x pipe and trunk insulation. Those helped a little around town but not on the freeway.The resonating boom in the cabin is gone, now its just exhaust sound and its more out back, not inside.You hear the tone on the freeway still, but that is just exhaust sound and depends on how loud your system really is. I still have the stock resonators but I just have the axelback, without them its to loud for my ears and to much popping. Also you hear it more when lugging in 6th uphill but thats normal.The outlaws are loud, a 5-6" diameter tube and no insulation so that can resonates. If I do shorty headers Iwill add the res x pipe back in and delete the stockers.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Kiowa88
Out Front!

Drives: OH-58D (R)
+1 on the J-Pipes. I'm running a cam with long tubes, hi-flows and the outlaw mufflers. Drone was horrendous until I got the J-pipes. If you get the pipes from solo you can always remove the caps when ever you want to be loud and obnoxious. Best of both worlds!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
That's weird, I thought the retro chambered didn't have any drone. At least, that's what I've read, even from people with an aggressive cam like yourself, Birm.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
summitss/rsls3

Drives: summit white/IOM ss/rs ls3
Stainless works retro here, and I have no drone what so ever. It is a little loud at some RPMs but it is just exhaust sound not drone. My magnaflow had drone this does not.
2010 Summit White w/IOM stripes SS/RS LS3, Pfadt spings, Richmond 4.11 gears, GTO clutch reservoir mod.,MGW shifter with retro handle, TSW Nurgurgring wheels, Nitto NT05R 315/35R20 on rear, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's no cats, Stainless works retro chambered catback, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Texas Speed UD pulley, LG G6x3 cam, PRC dual valvesprings w/titanium seats and retainers, Texas Speed 7.4" hardened push rods, Lethal Ported Fast LSXr 102, Ported stock TB, RX catchcan. Tuned by Dan at Dynosport in Lincoln, NE 483RWHP/442RWTQ SAE corrected.
summitss/rsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitss/rsls3 View Post
Stainless works retro here, and I have no drone what so ever. It is a little loud at some RPMs but it is just exhaust sound not drone. My magnaflow had drone this does not.
Forgeline GA3's 9.5/11 with NT-05 Nitto's, Pedders Sportsryder Supercar Coilovers, MGW Shifter, LPE GT1-1 Cam, AR 1 7/8" LT's, Halltech CAI, SW Retro Chambered Cat-Back, Installed and tuned by Corey @ Henderson Performance Technology.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Birm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Thats the thing though, "Drone" is subjective. Some people are more sensitive to different frequencies, so an interior resonance in that said frequency or "sound" level could be considered "drone".

I understand it is considered a "no-drone" system, hence the reason I bought it. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound that comes from it, specially at idle and WOT.

But for ME, there is some resonance in the cab that I plan on tuning out with a J-Pipe.

Thanks for the input from everyone though, and if you are ever in the Tampa area (soon) I will gladly take you for a ride and show what I am attempting to explain.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
summitss/rsls3

Drives: summit white/IOM ss/rs ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Thats the thing though, "Drone" is subjective. Some people are more sensitive to different frequencies, so an interior resonance in that said frequency or "sound" level could be considered "drone".

I understand it is considered a "no-drone" system, hence the reason I bought it. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound that comes from it, specially at idle and WOT.

But for ME, there is some resonance in the cab that I plan on tuning out with a J-Pipe.

Thanks for the input from everyone though, and if you are ever in the Tampa area (soon) I will gladly take you for a ride and show what I am attempting to explain.

Completely understandable, everyone's ears are different. Just thought I'd throw out my experience that way everyone didn't get a misconception that the retro was a horrible droning exhaust. Hope you get your problem fixed because this is by far the best exhaust a guy can put on a 5th gen.
2010 Summit White w/IOM stripes SS/RS LS3, Pfadt spings, Richmond 4.11 gears, GTO clutch reservoir mod.,MGW shifter with retro handle, TSW Nurgurgring wheels, Nitto NT05R 315/35R20 on rear, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's no cats, Stainless works retro chambered catback, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Texas Speed UD pulley, LG G6x3 cam, PRC dual valvesprings w/titanium seats and retainers, Texas Speed 7.4" hardened push rods, Lethal Ported Fast LSXr 102, Ported stock TB, RX catchcan. Tuned by Dan at Dynosport in Lincoln, NE 483RWHP/442RWTQ SAE corrected.
summitss/rsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Play this video and listen to the sound "only". The drone only comes in at a particular speed/rpm combination. That's what I've been talking about, not exhaust system sound.

Isn't it?
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Birm

Quote:
Completely understandable, everyone's ears are different. Just thought I'd throw out my experience that way everyone didn't get a misconception that the retro was a horrible droning exhaust. Hope you get your problem fixed because this is by far the best exhaust a guy can put on a 5th gen.
Oh I agree, like I said, I LOVE the way it sounds, I could just do without the 18-1900 Cruising interior resonance that TO ME is drone.. Still the best exhaust money can buy in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Play this video and listen to the sound "only". The drone only comes in at a particular speed/rpm combination. That's what I've been talking about, not exhaust system sound.

Isn't it?

Exactly!!!!!