Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #15
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
watch CNN right now, they are talking about it, if not look on CNN
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
i just checked the web, couldn't find anyting that outright says whether GM does or does not have to pay back the money from the bailout/loans. if anyone finds one, post the link up, i'd like to get the story straight, seeing as we've got conflicting rumors on the go here. i heard the same as SummoneR, GM has to pay it back, as they're Auto Loans, not auto bailouts.
Will gm go bankrupt? it's a possibility. does that mean it's gone? no.
i wish the harbingers of doom would be silent and stop instilling mass panic.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Just put a cam in it and void the warranty and get it worked on anywhere you want like many of us will. Warranty won't be an issue. Just kidding

Just the word bankruptcy sets people into panic mode, they obviously don't understand what a bankruptcy is. IT IS NOT HTE DEATH OF ANYTHING PEOPLE. It is simply restructuring the company and how it pays its bills.
I'm not so proud that i won't say i have filed bankruptcy twice in my life and I am doing just fine, better than ever actually. Before any of you spoiled kids with rich mommies and daddies start trying to criticise me because tax payers bailed me out just consider that when i do work as a contractor, i probably pay more in taxes every week than you make in a month for many years to come. I earned every penny I have ever gotten out of this government so don't go there.

As for GM, they will be back and stronger than ever at some point, no reason to jump out of the pan into the fire.
I know you are kidding, but in all seriousness, If so many people at camaro5.com are willing to void their warranties with aftermarket equipment/accessories, why are those same people worried about GM restructuring and how it would affect their warranties. I smell a double-standard afoot folks. What's it gonna' be?!
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
dkb

Drives: '94 RX7
The gov is BUYING gm ... they're not loaning them money

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post
i just checked the web, couldn't find anyting that outright says whether GM does or does not have to pay back the money from the bailout/loans. if anyone finds one, post the link up, i'd like to get the story straight, seeing as we've got conflicting rumors on the go here. i heard the same as SummoneR, GM has to pay it back, as they're Auto Loans, not auto bailouts.
Will gm go bankrupt? it's a possibility. does that mean it's gone? no.
i wish the harbingers of doom would be silent and stop instilling mass panic.
I keep saying this on these boards when this topic comes up ... there's nothing to pay back. They are NOT loaning GM money ... they are taking stock in the company in return for the injection of funds. There may be even more money they provide to GM over the next few years in the form of a loan but a whole lot if not all the money the government invests is being taken as stock.

This is not like the Chyrsler bailout years ago where the gov merely loaned money and chrysler paid it back. This time the government is buying the company. The NY Times has a big article on it this morning.

The feds are likely to own 70% of the company ... the unions another 20% with the Canadian government having another smaller chunk. Private investment in the company is being wiped out entirely .....
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
They never should have taken a dollar from the Government. Had they declared bankrupty 6 months ago they'd be on their way out of this mess. Instead it's turned into a bigger mess.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
They never should have taken a dollar from the Government. Had they declared bankrupty 6 months ago they'd be on their way out of this mess. Instead it's turned into a bigger mess.
Actually they would probably be in chapt. 7 liquidation if they had done that.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
70% stake in the company = getting paid back

The Treasury is going to sell those shares and get plenty of money so, I'm not really seeing how the taxpayers aren't getting paid back.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #22
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Does this mean if GM files Chapter 11 that everything will stop, just like Chrysler, even the Camaro?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
so GM is paying back the 15.4 bil they borrowed?
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #24
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
If they file Chapter 11 we have nothing to worry about. If they file Chapter 7 I will be VERY VERY worried.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb View Post
I keep saying this on these boards when this topic comes up ... there's nothing to pay back. They are NOT loaning GM money ... they are taking stock in the company in return for the injection of funds. There may be even more money they provide to GM over the next few years in the form of a loan but a whole lot if not all the money the government invests is being taken as stock.

This is not like the Chyrsler bailout years ago where the gov merely loaned money and chrysler paid it back. This time the government is buying the company. The NY Times has a big article on it this morning.

The feds are likely to own 70% of the company ... the unions another 20% with the Canadian government having another smaller chunk. Private investment in the company is being wiped out entirely .....
now i've got my story straight, thanks for clarifying