Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #127
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Which shouldn't be, its pretty much just a track pack on an SS.

There is another car that should be comparable to the Boss, or so we hope.

Well until then. It's the 1LE. I guess that's the answer I seek.

I actually don't see it happening. But we'll see.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #128
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well you actually make my point. I am, and always have been, a Camaro enthusiast. I had never heard of the 1LE tag til THIS car.

I've NEVER been a Mustang guy. I've heard of the Boss and all the rest.

My point is that the names bring attention and memory. The numbers don't.

Shelby, Cobra, Boss.

ZL1, 1LE, Z28.

Only the Z28 is common on the Camaro side.

Ask 100 random people what a Shelby, Cobra, or Boss is and I'll bet you get 85 people who know. Do the same with ZL1, 1LE and leave out the Z28 and I'll bet you MIGHT get 15 that know.

In fact, I've yet to talk to a non-Camaro person who had any recollection of EITHER ZL1 or 1LE. Not a single one. Heck, the ZL1 I had to reach for having ever heard of it.

That's really my only point. If the idea is to sell Camaros to Camaro enthusiasts then, hey, great. It might work. If the idea is to sell Camaros to Camaro enthusiasts AND non-enthusiasts then I think they will sell a few less cars. Give it an appropriate name and it would get more ambient attention from non-enthusiasts.

Topic for another thread though.

I'm sure when the 1LE RPO code existed in the past that the Camaro owners of that time knew what the 1LE was. For example, I didn't get into Camaros until 2002 when I bought my '94. My 94 isn't a 1LE, but I still know they had the 1LE RPO code for 4th gens.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #129
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Now that is awesome, one of the engineers actually driving the car. Like most buyers will.

I wonder if a pro driver could squeeze out a few more 10ths.

Thanks for the video slick rick
Actually no, most buyers cannot drive as well as the development engineer. Aaron Link, nurburgring, ring a bell?

LOL!!! If all buyers drove like that, then they could all be test drivers.

No, a random pro driver could not drive as well as the development engineer (who is a professional driver too). The development engineer knows the car like the back of his hand. They know its faults, they knows its weaknesses. They have spent countless hours test driving.(i.e. Aaron Link drove 40 laps, over 3 days, around the Nurburgring to get 7:41 in the ZL1).

Aaron Link is to GM, what Gene Martindal is to Ford, what Jules Bianchi is to Ferrari, and what Valentino Balboni was to Lamborghini.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #130
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
Aaron Link is to GM, what Gene Martindal is to Ford, what Jules Bianchi is to Ferrari, and what Valentino Balboni was to Lamborghini.
Good analogy - but admittedly I got goosebumps a little thinking of Aaron Link being compared to Valentino Balboni.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #131
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
I'm sure when the 1LE RPO code existed in the past that the Camaro owners of that time knew what the 1LE was. For example, I didn't get into Camaros until 2002 when I bought my '94. My 94 isn't a 1LE, but I still know they had the 1LE RPO code for 4th gens.
I"m kind of the opposite. I didn't get into Camaros till I bought my 73 Z28 in 1986 when I was 16. I was too young to buy a new one so I stuck with the older ones. I didn't like the 4th Gens at all.

Thank God for Sang Yup Lee.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #132
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
Actually no, most buyers cannot drive as well as the development engineer. Aaron Link, nurburgring, ring a bell?

LOL!!! If all buyers drove like that, then they could all be test drivers.

No, a random pro driver could not drive as well as the development engineer (who is a professional driver too). The development engineer knows the car like the back of his hand. They know its faults, they knows its weaknesses. They have spent countless hours test driving.(i.e. Aaron Link drove 40 laps, over 3 days, around the Nurburgring to get 7:41 in the ZL1).

I've always kinda of felt this way.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #133
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Quote:
I"m kind of the opposite. I didn't get into Camaros till I bought my 73 Z28 in 1986 when I was 16. I was too young to buy a new one so I stuck with the older ones. I didn't like the 4th Gens at all.

Thank God for Sang Yup Lee.
Part of it too might be attributed to the internet too... Being a Camaro fan in today's time with the ability to not only find tons of information on current models and RPOs but also past history makes us more knowledgeable now. Back then (not to make you sound old) aside from the dealerships the best resource was probably magazines which definitely doesn't give the full exposure that we have with today's connected-ness. Lap times announced and we've already seen 3 different "reviews" for the 1LE So in any case - we'll see what happens from here on out -- will 9th gen Camaro owners know what a 1LE is or not? That's the question

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #134
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Part of it too might be attributed to the internet too... Being a Camaro fan in today's time with the ability to not only find tons of information on current models and RPOs but also past history makes us more knowledgeable now. Back then (not to make you sound old) aside from the dealerships the best resource was probably magazines which definitely doesn't give the full exposure that we have with today's connected-ness. Lap times announced and we've already seen 3 different "reviews" for the 1LE So in any case - we'll see what happens from here on out -- will 9th gen Camaro owners know what a 1LE is or not? That's the question
That's a very good point. I honestly hadn't thought about that. If I'd had the internet back then I'd have certainly heard of it all.

Well, it would be almost impossible to bring a Z28 now. They have put so much into making the ZL1 the ultimate track car. And the 1LE has shown it's moxy. To make a Z28 would mean it kind of has to fall somewhere between almost. If the ZL1 would have leaned straight line rather than state of the art road course then the Z28 would have a place.

I think I just derailed this thread.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #135
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Atleast for the 5th gen.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"

Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #136
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Atleast for the 5th gen.
Right.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #137
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
Good analogy - but admittedly I got goosebumps a little thinking of Aaron Link being compared to Valentino Balboni.
Well in terms of skill and being test drivers the analogy works. In terms of years of service and being an automotive icon, not so much.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #138
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
great videos. Were you there? It was awesome. In the Rolex race there was one Mustang and it ran last or second to last with the only Viper as it's only competition for last place.
No, I wasn't there.(lucky you)
But I will be going to the next race!
It's like 8 minutes from home on Circuit Gilles Villeneuve,Montreal.
The #57 Stevenson Camaro GT won last year!
Let's hope they can repeat.
http://www.motorsport.com/grandam/ne...ntreal-gt-win/

This was the Land of the racing GEN3 1LE back in the days... Players Series/GM Motorsport.
http://www.playerschallengeseries.ca/Production_nos.htm

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 08-01-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #139
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:
Well you actually make my point. I am, and always have been, a Camaro enthusiast. I had never heard of the 1LE tag til THIS car.

I've NEVER been a Mustang guy. I've heard of the Boss and all the rest.

My point is that the names bring attention and memory. The numbers don't.

Shelby, Cobra, Boss.

ZL1, 1LE, Z28.

Only the Z28 is common on the Camaro side.

Ask 100 random people what a Shelby, Cobra, or Boss is and I'll bet you get 85 people who know. Do the same with ZL1, 1LE and leave out the Z28 and I'll bet you MIGHT get 15 that know.

In fact, I've yet to talk to a non-Camaro person who had any recollection of EITHER ZL1 or 1LE. Not a single one. Heck, the ZL1 I had to reach for having ever heard of it.

That's really my only point. If the idea is to sell Camaros to Camaro enthusiasts then, hey, great. It might work. If the idea is to sell Camaros to Camaro enthusiasts AND non-enthusiasts then I think they will sell a few less cars. Give it an appropriate name and it would get more ambient attention from non-enthusiasts.

Topic for another thread though.

You must be talking to people who have very little interest in cars. You can NOT call yourself a car enthusiast, you definitely can't call yourself a Camaro enthusiast, if you don't know what a ZL1, COPO, Baldwin-Motion or Yenko Camaro is. Most people recognize Z/28, but that is only because Chevy slapped that name on so many cars that didn't truely represent what a Z/28 should have been.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #140
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Flash Back People! lol 20 years ago...

Camaro Enthusiast March 1992. A brief history into how 1LE came to be. As well as listing of magazine articles that featured information on 1LE.
Attached Images

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote