Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelio View Post
Can anyone provide a reputable source to back up their claims?
Not I, just anecdotal. Try it. Turn your stereo up all the way and leave it for ten minutes, then return. Bet your speaker(s) will be blown. If I'm wrong, then you win. If I'm right, you get to test out whether or not the warranty covers it.

Seriously, how in the heck is a service advisor going to determine if you 'turned your stereo up so loud that you caused the damage'? You mean to tell me you would actually admit to that?

I've probably trashed more speakers so far in my life than most people ever own.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
I understand and am not disputing that on most stereos there is inherent distortion at the top of the range that can cause speaker problems. My issue is saying that the bumper to bumper warranty won't cover a "blown" speaker unless I lie about it. That and the fact that some people answer questions as if they are experts about a particular subject and not just giving an opinion. If I am on the wrong side of this, well, it's just my turn to be an a$$h0l3.
Use the search function and look it up, this subject has been covered numerous times before.

I also found this from GM's site about the warranty.

Quote:
Audio systems, cleaning brake pads/linings, clutch linings, coolants and fluids, filters, keyless entry (or other remote transmitter/receiver batteries),* limited-slip rear axle service, tire rotation, wheel alignment/balance,** and wiper inserts are covered up to the first maintenance inspection period outlined in the Owner's Manual. Any replacement at the time of or beyond the maintenance inspection period is considered maintenance, and is not covered as part of the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty. The New-Vehicle Limited Warranty only covers components when replacement or repair of these components is the result of a defect in material or workmanship.
Anyone who takes out a blown speaker can look at it and tell it is obvious user neglect and not a factory defect or bad workmanship.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEnergy View Post
I blew my left front lower speaker (driver door)...never had volume above 35, most of the time its at 22 to 30. It happened after my warranty had expired and I was even contemplating getting the extended warranty. So now it pops at anything with a lot of bass and the volume above like 23. So I have to turn the bass all the way down to like -3 on the EQ to be able to get more volume.

Just thought I would share, as you can see it is very possible to blow the damn speaker even under normal conditions.
Can you hear me me now ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Gm will warranty the speaker, provided you have not added anything to the system. The amount of times it happens is not worth the CSI hassle.

As said above, I did 32 years as a rep making these decisions for Honda, Porsche and BMW.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-17-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
wheelio
Banned

Drives: camaro v6
Bump
wheelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
TwistedEnergy

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Holy crap. Are you deaf or have hearing problems?

Mine never goes above 14 because above that is just too loud for everyday use, most of the time it's at 12 or 13. The db's that is put out at 20+ doesn't fall under normal use. No wonder your speaker blew.

Just because something "can" do something, doesn't mean that it can maintain it and do it often enough, it will break. You car can run at 6.5k rpms but if you drive it like that too much eventually you will need a new engine. It's the same thing with speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
Can you hear me me now ?

With the windows down and a loud exhaust, going down the highway this is just the way it is. If I want to hear the music I have to turn it up. I consider what I listen to my music at as normal operating conditions. And no I do not have any hearing problems, I can hear perfectly fine. I like to feel the bass not just hear that its there.

Last edited by TwistedEnergy; 08-17-2013 at 02:15 PM.
TwistedEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
TwistedEnergy

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Bump
Call up a dealer, not one that you bought your car from or get serviced at, ask to speak to someone in the service department and ask if a blown speaker is covered under warranty for a camaro.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEnergy View Post
Call up a dealer, not one that you bought your car from or get serviced at, ask to speak to someone in the service department and ask if a blown speaker is covered under warranty for a camaro.

That would be too easy ....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Quote:
Lately I've been turning the volume on the radio all the way up and playing a song with the best bass I can fine. Normally I keep the radio very low but a neighbor has been acting out lately so I've decided to be annoying as well. My question is what are the chances of the speakers blowing? This would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty correct?
I'd be more concerned about my ear drums. They aren't covered under warranty and can't be replaced.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Driving around today with the top down doing 65 Mph with my MRT V2 exhaust the radio volume was set at 17 and I could hear it just fine . I will be 60 years old in a little over two months and have partial hearing loss from Chemo therapy a couple years ago. Why anyone would ever need to turn it up over 20 is beyond me....