Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Service Battery Charging System

Hey guys,

Finished my LS7 head swap and everything appears to be good but I am getting a "Service Battery Charging System" warning in the dash.

I put the battery on a trickle charger all night and the error went away (Battery says 13.6V in the dash, also had the battery load tested at Autozone and Advance and they both say the battery is good to go).... but when I restart the car after letting it sit a bit, the warning comes back....

If I let the car idle for 20 minutes to get up to temperature (still doing oil level, coolant level, and leak tests), the battery info in the dash never appears to waiver from 13.4-13.6...

This warning never appeared once in the time before the swap.

Thoughts? Something I didn't hook back up, route correct, damaged, etc? There are many things I'm sort of ignoring because they were unlikely to have changed in the time since the project started and the warning didn't exist.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Are you sure you have every ground hooked back up clean and tight?
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
Seems like the charging system is working ok but the ECM is not getting the message. Possible a damaged broken wire to the ECM. I would look at the ECM connectors for a possible damaged or broken wire.
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
See if this downloaded for ya if if did it might help
Attached Images
File Type: pdf charging.pdf (64.6 KB, 268 views)
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Gbland60

Found this in an old post back in 2016 I thought I had deleted it but it was stored in the files so I tried re-downloading it and I don't know if you can get it or not it's not Z28 specific but it covers the Camaro charging system good luck if it works but I'm like mr. Ra z28 possibly could just be a ground I know I grounded my alternator to the frame and installed a number 2 wire grounded from my driver side engine to the frame but I've never had a charging issue either I just done it to Beef It Up
Old 01-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
DasBaldDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRaZ28 View Post
Are you sure you have every ground hooked back up clean and tight?

I definitely hooked up all the grounds I knew of and could find. All are definitely clean and tight (that I found and know about). Cleaned each one and put a pretty good twist on all of them.

I know there were like 4 on the heads (sides and back). I definitely am not seeing any loose wires.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
DasBaldDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKZ28 View Post
Seems like the charging system is working ok but the ECM is not getting the message. Possible a damaged broken wire to the ECM. I would look at the ECM connectors for a possible damaged or broken wire.

Not seeing anything damaged.

I believe I'm right to guess that the battery couldn't take 20-30 minutes of idling if the alternator was busted, right?
Old 01-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
DasBaldDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
Found this in an old post back in 2016 I thought I had deleted it but it was stored in the files so I tried re-downloading it and I don't know if you can get it or not it's not Z28 specific but it covers the Camaro charging system good luck if it works but I'm like mr. Ra z28 possibly could just be a ground I know I grounded my alternator to the frame and installed a number 2 wire grounded from my driver side engine to the frame but I've never had a charging issue either I just done it to Beef It Up
Thank you for that. I wish it said what the conditions for clearing the fault were.

In the meantime, I ordered a new alternator (can return it if I figure out what the issue is or if the alternator doesn't fix it).

When I get back in town, I am going to put the car back up in the air and see if there are any wires down below disconnected, damaged or otherwise obvious. Someone on CorvetteForum suggested that the starter solenoid is easily damaged when installing heads and can cause this exact issue (though the car appears to start just fine). Will check it regardless.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
Not seeing anything damaged.

I believe I'm right to guess that the battery couldn't take 20-30 minutes of idling if the alternator was busted, right?
If you are getting over 12 volts at the battery while the engine is running your alternator is working. 13.6 volts sounds perfect.
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #10
Gbland60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
Thank you for that. I wish it said what the conditions for clearing the fault were.

In the meantime, I ordered a new alternator (can return it if I figure out what the issue is or if the alternator doesn't fix it).

When I get back in town, I am going to put the car back up in the air and see if there are any wires down below disconnected, damaged or otherwise obvious. Someone on CorvetteForum suggested that the starter solenoid is easily damaged when installing heads and can cause this exact issue (though the car appears to start just fine). Will check it regardless.
Your welcome capt. Good luck
Old 01-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
DasBaldDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
Your welcome capt. Good luck

Got it.

Had some time today so I decided to pull the alternator (as I had already loadtested the battery)… and lo/behold the ECM connector for the alternator was undone.... decided to have it tested regardless and it passed.

Reinstalled in the car and the car initially gave me the error again and it went away after 2-3 seconds, hasn't come back on yet.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Gbland60