Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #29
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_2011_cyber_grey View Post
Brantley, i think i remember you saying that u have the s type cat back with LTs correct? I dont think im going to be getting the LTs cuz i dont want to void my powertrain warranty right outta the gate.. i do feel the atak would be too loud and raspy for my tastes as well.. did the s type cat back sound good with factory headers and cats? because im going to keep stock headers and keep the cats stock as well until i can afford a set of headers and mids..

do you know which mid pipes i can install on my ss with the borla s type exhaust and stock headers?? all the mid pipes i saw were only connectable to other exhaust brands..
I purchased the LTs, I have not installed yet. Waiting for the money to tune once installed.

I have done my research on here and through other camaro owners in my area and hearing their setups with LTs.

Yes, when I purchased the S type alone (and still have them installed), the tone is absolutely incredible. The volume level and how LOUD it is, will not blow anyone's mind.

However, I did let my wife drive it around the neighborhood so I could hear and I could hear the car coming. I can call on the bluetooth, roll the windows down, carry a conversation and hear everything perfectly fine. The volume increase will def come with the hi flows and LTs. It had the gurgle and boat sound to it, I love it..

I tell you though...If you don't do the install yourself, wherever you get your Borla S type (or whatever exhaust you choose) installed GO IN PERSON. So you can hear what it sounds like when they crank it up the first time in the garage, I am not afraid to admit...I pee-ed myself a lil bit.

HONESTLY, for 500-600 bucks on your doorstep from Marylandspeed.com, I do not think you can do anything better if you choose to go axle back. That way, you can start off with the S type, if you think it is too quite you can always fix that. But nothing in my opinion, beats the TONE of the S type.

http://marylandspeed.com/cold-air-in...la-p-3175.html

THAT deal is extremely bad ass.

...oh, and last thing. You will NOT wait 3 years to void your warranty. Guarantee you that..I told myself wait 18 months...I have waited 6.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #30
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
I've had my car for 6 weeks and still have less than 1000 miles on it. Put ARH LTs, high flow cats and 3" x pipe on it this weekend. I have it attached to the stock mufflers until the Borla s-type axleback I ordered gets here. It's loud but not too loud. The stock mufflers just sound too raspy for me.

I bought the axleback from Maryland Speed. Best price I could find and free shipping to boot. I ordered it last week and it's already on it's way here.

Not worried about what the neighbors think since two of them came over to help. I treated them to a taste of open headers before we put the exhaust on. Now that was loud but damn it sounded good.

As for the warranty, I was gonna wait a while, but I just couldn't stand looking at the box with the headers in it any longer. I did have a talk with the service manager at the dealer where I bought the car and told him what I had planned for the car. He basically told me that as long as I didn't go into the motor he would honor the warranty and not to worry.

Coming soon: springs and other suspension goodies. After that, cam, clutch, gears and bye-bye warranty.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #31
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I purchased the LTs, I have not installed yet. Waiting for the money to tune once installed.

I have done my research on here and through other camaro owners in my area and hearing their setups with LTs.

Yes, when I purchased the S type alone (and still have them installed), the tone is absolutely incredible. The volume level and how LOUD it is, will not blow anyone's mind.

However, I did let my wife drive it around the neighborhood so I could hear and I could hear the car coming. I can call on the bluetooth, roll the windows down, carry a conversation and hear everything perfectly fine. The volume increase will def come with the hi flows and LTs. It had the gurgle and boat sound to it, I love it..

I tell you though...If you don't do the install yourself, wherever you get your Borla S type (or whatever exhaust you choose) installed GO IN PERSON. So you can hear what it sounds like when they crank it up the first time in the garage, I am not afraid to admit...I pee-ed myself a lil bit.

HONESTLY, for 500-600 bucks on your doorstep from Marylandspeed.com, I do not think you can do anything better if you choose to go axle back. That way, you can start off with the S type, if you think it is too quite you can always fix that. But nothing in my opinion, beats the TONE of the S type.

http://marylandspeed.com/cold-air-in...la-p-3175.html

THAT deal is extremely bad ass.

...oh, and last thing. You will NOT wait 3 years to void your warranty. Guarantee you that..I told myself wait 18 months...I have waited 6.
That deal is bad ass! I too am saving up for a CAI/Borla combo (actually after doing some research I came up with that exact combo). Since you have dealt with this company before, you might be able to answer this for me instead of me having to send in an email and wait a while for a response.
Do they ship to Canada?
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #32
MClarenF1

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
ahhhhhhh! im not satisfied wit the stock exhaust at all, i really want an exhaust thats loud for ppl to hear it as im barely going 5-10mph, my cousin's gtr is loud stock! i wantit to be that loud!

i like the muscle car sound but i prefer more exotic tones/ jet sounding gtr exhaust tone... if only i could make it sound like that =[
MClarenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #33
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MClarenF1 View Post
ahhhhhhh! im not satisfied wit the stock exhaust at all, i really want an exhaust thats loud for ppl to hear it as im barely going 5-10mph, my cousin's gtr is loud stock! i wantit to be that loud!

i like the muscle car sound but i prefer more exotic tones/ jet sounding gtr exhaust tone... if only i could make it sound like that =[
Not really sure what you are going for....you need to find a local car meet and see what guys have there

If you are relatively loud at 5-10 mph, that means you will be real annoying when you hit 40-70 mph and will probably have substantial in cabin noise...

You need to take it one step at a time...consider muffler delete first. See where that takes you..I just don't like the tone of muffler deletes and with LTs they are absurdly obnoxious and loud. That may be what you want...

If not, you can get an immediate sound improvement with an axle back exhaust for very cheap...like I told the last poster, I purchased the S type as soon as I bought the vehicle just to get a quick sound improvement. Now going to add CAI/LTs for the performance side....
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #34
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
That deal is bad ass! I too am saving up for a CAI/Borla combo (actually after doing some research I came up with that exact combo). Since you have dealt with this company before, you might be able to answer this for me instead of me having to send in an email and wait a while for a response.
Do they ship to Canada?
Yea, I got the Borla S type catback and LTs...CAI is next.

I would imagine they would ship to Canada being in the north east US? However, you may lose your free shipping. I cannot say for sure....

Honestly, give them a call. You will get an answer immediately. I know you may be like me and I HATE HATE calling in to place orders...but FYI they gave me an additional discount OFF the price on the internet for calling. It has become common knowledge Brandon can give pretty damn good deals if you call.... So....call lol
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #35
MClarenF1

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS A6
well i like having cabin noise, my cousins gtr is stock and its loud even when cruising and i think it sounds fine when being floored as well, i want that sort of loudness, camaro rite now is way to quiet :(
MClarenF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #36
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
I put the GMPP axle backs on my 1LT. They look so much better than the stock ones,sounds better too!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Satisfied Borla ATAK CAT customer !!!

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
ss_2011_cyber_grey

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
Do you have LTs? ive been debating on if the atak will be too loud... i like the sound of the s type but am worried it may be too quiet without LTs... anybody with either atak or s type cat back that does not have LTs can you please leave feedback of exhaust systems... plus with the s type if i do decide to add LTs a few years down the road, it wont be ridiculously loud while driving.
ss_2011_cyber_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #39
ss_2011_cyber_grey

Drives: 2011 camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
Do you have LTs with your atak? im on the fence about getting LTs.. i dont see it happening so now im debating between the s type and atak again... would there be any difference in sound if i had the s type with some shorty headers? or will it sound the same with stock headers as it would with the shortys?

also, how is the cabin sound driving down the expressway with the atak?
ss_2011_cyber_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #40
JB22

Drives: 2010 ABM # 2180 2SS M6
I did a ton of research before I finally settled on doing the ATAK Axleback. I listened to a ton of videos and finally found one where someone had the ATAK Axleback then got the Catback and he couldnt really tell much of a difference sound wise.

As All I am looking for was better sound, I decided to save a few bucks on the cat back. No intention of doing headers here, but as others have said, it looks like ATAK with headers is pretty damn loud.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
JB22 is offline   Reply With Quote