Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #57
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...t-camaro-3.htm

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sa...t&model=Camaro

some crash testing..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 AM   #58
Capstone

Drives: .
I've seen the "real-world" evidence of two crashes here on this forum with Camaro's and based on the fact that both drivers actually lived to talk about them here is enough proof for me that these cars are about as safe as anyone can expect given all we know about the technology of safety combined with the performance and thrill of this car. The Black SS that went into a telephone pole was the clincher...but there was another guy that got T-boned (drivers side) and he walked away...

I think it's rediculous in these times that the industry uses the same scale we rate our Movies with to rate a vehicles safety. There are simply way too many varibles to judge whether one star will make the difference in any given accident.

This is just big-business and the government "talking to the dumbest person in the room" , when the smart people should be given a point system that has more meaning in the real world.

I think The Blur broke it down pretty well too, but I started this rant before reading his post...
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #59
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
I wish the Camaro had 5 stars. It doesn't, but I'm not going to sell my car because of it. My only issue with it (I think I said this before too somewhere ) is that with the ground up design, it should have gotten 5 stars. Every car manufacturer knows the ratings that both NHTSA and IIHS have so it's like having the answers to the test. I'm sure GM crashed a lot of these inhouse, and if it did not live up to their promises, you can bet the bean counters said no to fixing the issue considering GM's financial state and the fact they didn't want to delay the car any longer.

I am very glad that it got a 5 star side impact rating. I am looking forward to seeing how well it does in the IIHS' tests assuming they conduct a crash test of this car.

Its not really a ground up design. If anything they just subtracted from the g8. Id like to see them rate the g8 but Id bet that aint gonna happen.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #60
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
My winter car is a 1997 Ford Aspire..

I'll take 4 star Camaro crash rating anyday...my "Rock Star Status" depends on it.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #61
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
I know some people don't thing a 4-star vs. a 5-star rating is that big a deal...a 10% versus 11% chance of serious injury. But, the rating may likely keep insurance companies from offering a safety discount like many do with 5-star ratings.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #62
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
I know some people don't thing a 4-star vs. a 5-star rating is that big a deal...a 10% versus 11% chance of serious injury. But, the rating may likely keep insurance companies from offering a safety discount like many do with 5-star ratings.
The good news is it has 5 stars where it counts. I don't plan on running into something head on.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #63
dursin

Drives: Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
I think another issue here is that it didn't live up to the expectations GM set for the car. Four stars is still pretty good and I wouldn't necessarily feel unsafe in it, but it still doesn't meet the expectations that GM set for the vehicle. It's sort of like if GM said it would do 0-60 in 5 seconds and they were only able to do it in 6.25...or they said it would get 25mpg and it only got 20mpg. Not a disaster...just disappointing.

Last edited by dursin; 08-30-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #64
jimhowie2000

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT/RS & 6 older Chevy's
I am sure all those people who only buy a car based on 5 star crash ratings need those 5 stars....for when they are text messaging while driving and rear end someone else! Same goes for those people who think they are being so "green" by buying a Prius....and just what happens to the toxic battery when the car is totaled or scrapped???? Will it not be polluting the environment?? The point is, responsible, defensive, driving techniques go a lot further than crash ratings that don't even approximate real world situations. All these government backed rating systems are just guidelines, and generally not really accurate ones at that.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 PM   #65
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhowie2000 View Post
I am sure all those people who only buy a car based on 5 star crash ratings need those 5 stars....for when they are text messaging while driving and rear end someone else! Same goes for those people who think they are being so "green" by buying a Prius....and just what happens to the toxic battery when the car is totaled or scrapped???? Will it not be polluting the environment?? The point is, responsible, defensive, driving techniques go a lot further than crash ratings that don't even approximate real world situations. All these government backed rating systems are just guidelines, and generally not really accurate ones at that.

<stupidity>If someone is worried about crash test ratings, buy dump truck with 5,000 lbs of steel welded on the front bumper.</stupidity>

If you're really worried about crash test ratings, buy an SUV with 5-star ratings, don't wait for a Camaro with 5-stars.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #66
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
My opinion on the subject is that 4/5/5 is a serious shortcoming esp. for a car of this size /weight.

But it wont stop me from buying the car.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #67
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0002 View Post
The good news is it has 5 stars where it counts. I don't plan on running into something head on.
Why do i keep seeing these posts? they are silly. NOBODY plans to run into something head on... there are thousands of other drivers on the road, it's nice that you know nobody is EVER going to hit you head on, how does one go about obtaining this psychic ability?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #68
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
Has anyone heard anything regarding GM's response to the 4 star crash test results? Are changes in the works to improve this? Fbodfather, are you able to comment?

And before someone starts with the "if you want 5 stars, you can't be a true Camaro lover"...I've owned Camaros for longer than some of you have been alive! Have had at least 40 of them during the past 31 years and hope to own many more , but I won't put my kids in a car that isn't 5 stars all around - that's just my choice. Money for a 2SS/RS sits in the bank...just need the stars now
Well said .. there is absolutely no reason for a new car to get anything but a 5 star rating ..

Crowley
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #69
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
who plans on wrecking their car? you forget the thousands of other people driving on the road that might just smash into you?
The literal police are out in force in this thread. If you think people drive their Camaro's around with blinders on, you're seriously underestimating people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
Actually, both Vettes were just sold in the past 2 months so I could get something that all 4 of us could go out in. My wife was never in the '70 and was in the '03 once simply because she is not overly interested in them, my son once in each, and my daughter once in the '03. All trips with the kids were short and local. I would never take the kids on the highway in either of those cars - at least not when they are small like they are.

For those who have no problem with the 4 stars or no stars, good for you! I make my choices based on how I feel about a particular issue and no one else. My undergrad is in Engineering, so I understand the methodology and can interpret the results...and make my choices based on that understanding. But to be honest, this is more about an expectation I have for modern cars. The Camaro should have been engineered for 5 stars all around and that is what I expect from "that" car. I'm sure I'll own another Corvette and I am looking for another '67 Camaro right now...I have different expectations for those cars based on how I plan on using them (weekend, local use of maybe 3,000 miles per year). I've owned convertibles and Harleys so this isn't a paranoid reaction on my part. However, any car that I am going to use as a daily driver needs to be safe for ME and I can't have a DD that my kids can't ride in...don't really care what others want out of their cars In fact, my post didn't ask how others feel about the car's safety performance. I just want to know if GM has plans to improve this area of the car. If so, great, I'm buying a new Camaro. If not, no problem, I'll buy something else and get my Camaro fix in a '67
I'm not trying to be insulting, but really? I'm also an engineer, so you should understand that even if every car on the road had 5-star ratings, the outcomes of the collisions would still be the same.

I would tell everyone here that crash-test safety ratings are a crock of s*** for the most part because nothing in the real world ever happens like in the rediculously controlled environments that these tests are performed in. If you're going to put that much stock in safety ratings, then you're a fool. I don't have any problem with people wanting their family to be safe, but saying that 5-stars versus 4-stars is a deal breaker is rediculous.

Knowing what a vehicle's limits are should be MUCH more important to people than how well it did when it hit a flat wall at 45mph. I mean, really, how often do you see a family sedan just decide to run itself into a concrete wall? You need to be more worried about how to operate the vehicle safely and effectively than putting any faith in a false sense of security. A 5-star rated Prius is not going to survive a collision with a 1-star rated Hum-Vee (I don't know what the actual rating of a Hum-Vee is, but it's just to serve a point).

A person is just as likely of dying in a 5-star rated vehicle as they are in a 1-star rated vehicle if they don't know what the car can and cannot do, especially if they're not educated in how to anticipate problems while driving (i.e. defensive driving). Like has been said, today's 5-star rating could be tomorrow's 1-star rating.

If you want to put all your marbles in crash-test ratings, then by all means, that's your right as a consumer. But please don't go around complaining about it to a bunch of enthusiasts and prospective buyers like it's the end of the world. It's annoying and counter-productive.

[/rant]
Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #70
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
^Agreed. I'm an engineer also and for the most part those tests, while good, just don't recreate real world collisions. They by no means accurately depict collisions between wide ranging vehicles sizes. And I have yet to see an every day reinforced masonry wall stop a car dead in it's tracks. I understand wanting a 5 star rating but people saying a 4 star rating is bad reminds me of people that chastise their children when they bring home Bs on their report card. It's not a pass or fail system people.

Closed Thread