Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
4th gen help... :(

again i come back crawling asking the questions i don't know the answers to

as many or some know i'm still knee deep in my search for my 1998 - 2002 4th gen beauty and i just now saw something weird, not on the car but on the people posting theese cars, i wen't to z28's and i saw a few SS's...i'm not complaining, they're gorgeous cars wether it's a z28 or ss, but here's where my question lies...

Is there a real difference between a SS and a Z28?

i was looking at a few webpages searching for my future car and i was specifically looking for a z28...i wanted it because i though it had more power, i thought it was the best gm made, but is it? should it matter if a get a ss or z28?.. i'll appreciate your answers cuz if ss's aren't hugely different then it will make my search alot easier..thanks again
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

i take that back, finding SS's is a huge pain! haha
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
yes there is a difference, but the ss was the higher performance, not the z28.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
For the model years you mentioned, the SS was the "higher-end" model.

Differences in the models are;

Specific hood and rear spoiler for SS, including specific wheels.

1998 Z28 and SS

LS1 5.7 liter 305 hp @ 5,200 rpm 335 lb-ft @ 4,000
LS1 5.7 liter (SS) 320 hp @ 5,200 rpm 345 lb-ft @ 4,000
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
The differences are very marginal for the SS, your essentially buying a Z28 with a different hood and spoiler, both of which you can buy for less than $1,000 :/.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
lexva_58

Drives: 01 WS6
actually there is no differency in performance between both.. powertrain is the same.. same engine on both cars.. the only diferences i can tell are the hood, the wing and the rims.. but some ss came out of the factory with an slp performance package tho.. personally i like the ss better.. but no difference in performance and you can get a z28 for cheaper

""fossil fuels are yummy""
lexva_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
The differences are very marginal for the SS, your essentially buying a Z28 with a different hood and spoiler, both of which you can buy for less than $1,000 :/.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexva_58 View Post
actually there is no differency in performance between both.. powertrain is the same.. same engine on both cars.. the only diferences i can tell are the hood, the wing and the rims.. but some ss came out of the factory with an slp performance package tho.. personally i like the ss better.. but no difference in performance and you can get a z28 for cheaper
Both of these guys speak the truth.

I have owned both cars....a 2002 Z28 and a 2002 SS. They were both kick ass and you would love driving either car.

The SS is mere looks, really. That is for the bare bones SS. SLP DID have options you could get....one being a handling package. So, if you end up looking into buying an SS, check out the differences.

Performance wise, they are the same. In fact, I think the SS was a bit heavier than the Z28....I could be wrong...but I don't think I am.

I had IDENTICAL mods in both cars.....and rand them both at the track.

My best time was a 12.74 in the Z28 and a 12.88 in the SS....again, same mods. I might have been able to bring down the SS run. But.... If you are looking soley for performace, buy the Z28 and toss in a couple power adders saving the money from buying the SS. If you are going for looks, the SS wins hands down any day in my book. Be prepared to bring a little more cash to the table. But, it's the looks you are buying.

And...if you go get the Z28, for crying out loud...don't go and buy the SS hood and spoiler. Your hood, most likey, won't ever fit right and will be noticable in the gaps and lines. Just get the SS in that case.

Hope all this helped.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
And...if you go get the Z28, for crying out loud...don't go and buy the SS hood and spoiler. Your hood, most likey, won't ever fit right and will be noticable in the gaps and lines. Just get the SS in that case.

Hope all this helped.
Are you sure about that? I only ask because I was going to get an SS hood/spoiler for my 2002 Z, and after doing some research I'm pretty sure that the hood/spoiler dimensions are the exact same as a regular Z hood. Of course the intake would make a difference, but as far a straight up swap Z to SS I'm almost positive it would be the same fit width for width. But, again I'm not sure, I'm just going off of what I've read and seen.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Are you sure about that? I only ask because I was going to get an SS hood/spoiler for my 2002 Z, and after doing some research I'm pretty sure that the hood/spoiler dimensions are the exact same as a regular Z hood. Of course the intake would make a difference, but as far a straight up swap Z to SS I'm almost positive it would be the same fit width for width. But, again I'm not sure, I'm just going off of what I've read and seen.
He's referring to the aftermarket. Nothing fits right from the aftermarket. If you can locate a GM SS hood, then it will fit like magic.

Z28 and SS have the exact same motor just different power ratings. Oh yeah and price tags.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I just drove a '96 SS with 16K miles on it. It seemed to be a bit quicker than my '97 Z28, however it did have the ram air and SLP exhaust etc. Also my Z28 has 119k on it with original plugs. Both autos and 3:23 factory gears.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
And wheels and intake and exhaust. The small power difference comes mainly from the less restrictive intake and exhaust.

At the end of the day it is a close call. Find the best deal on the best car you can.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Both of these guys speak the truth.
SO WHAT?! YA' CALLING ME A LIAR NOW?!

There is a small difference in the numbers, due to SLP's involvement, but not enough IMO to sway your decision. They're both basically the same car, with a few cosmetic changes being the biggest difference.

Find the best car, in the best shape, with the lowest mileage, and choose that one...SS or Z28, you can't go wrong.

(Now getting back to you Tag! )

J/K!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Here is a nice 2001 Z/28 w/ some SS items and some GMMG items just a hair over 51k on the clock cherry condition inside, outside, and underside I would be willing to part with for the right price.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

my heart is broke..for my loss

i appreciate all your input, everyone's... today for me marks a beacon of intelligence.

everyone says right now's the time to buy in you're looking for a home. as i was. and though my brain is happy, my heart is broken.

Today, July 28, i have put one foot forward, i have begun the proccess to purchase a house!
as most can fuigure, that means house payment...which means no fast car for me. as i said, my heart is broken, my inner child is crying, much so like the kid you see in the store when mom doesn't buy him his toy he wants, i sit here with a cazadorez shot glass and a bottle of cabo wabo reposado for 2 reasons, to "celebrate" my purchase, my no longer being see'n as a kid by the rest of the family. celebrating my maturity. the other reason: to say goodbye, atleast for a few years the dream, the dream that i would own a camaro of my own, to say goodbye to the inner child, atleast for now.
and here as i take a few shots of my favorite tequila i can't help but stare at the car that was almost in my hands, now i see it, as if i were a mustang, i see this gorgeous beat, pulling away, farther and farher....will i one day catch up? heh. who knows..

yea that was me trying to be poetic...FAILED!...but the real reason for me buying a house is simple, i'm mexican...and in my particular faily were cut troaght people, even amongst ourselve's, my brother owns a home (the one i'm buying) he rents to my sister...they have been living there for free for about 2 years now, not by my brother's choice, they have an agreement, but my sister (and husband i suspect has alot to do with this) have no paid the rent...my brother is a good man, he does not live in out town, so when he calls to ask about the rest, he gets no answer...at all. he has his own family, and my sister has now bought a home, but they refuse to move out of my brothers house, they claim they are "remodeling" their house they just bought (they bought a run down home and are fixing it to their liking), but it's been about a year now, and my brother can't handle this current payment and supporting his family, it's so bad he moved in with the in-laws...and even like this money is short, until a few days ago he told me the bank will take the house if he doesn't pay, so i made a rash decision and told him i would take over...i know alot of people in real estate and it's being taken care of...cool family huh?...i dod this because my brother has been a father fuigure to me, i know people will be weirded out, and really i didn't have to say all this, i just hate it when someone makes a huge fuss about something as i did with this 4th gen, and then not get it...i think though my family are out to get eachother alot i do not have to follow that, karma is a bitch, and i don't wan't her eyes set upon me, besides, the house is cool. and i'll just have to change my lifestyle a bit and maybe there is still hope, though not in the near future. i'll keep looking at them though. i'm in love with the 4th gen model.

don't you just love family? i know i do....