Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
I just love this thing!

I totally get why Chris Harris is high on this car. To end my second session of the morning, got my second longest drift of the day... it just kept going! Also, set a PR on my first session which beat my 305 Trofeos... but R888Rs really do fall off a cliff when they get any heat in them. None the less, another fun weekend at the track (and largely empty)!

The drift was through turn 8 at NCCAR, a 180 hairpin - started the slide at about 55mph.

kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Awesome!!!
2013 1le- LT's w/o cats, Borla Atak, Z28 cai, TSP stage 4 cam, SLP 25% udp, LOD intake, cnc heads by Wegner Automotive, Bo White ported tb, H&R drop springs. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle. (There may be some junk in the trunk from Induction Solutions
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Well done! Looks like a blast.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Gstick

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS 1LE
Nice save ! I don't care what Gen 6'ers say, the 14/15 Z/28's are still the most badass, NA, domestic track weapon made.
Gstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Very cool!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: 15 Z/28 #934
Glad you are having fun out there - but be safe - not really cool to throw a drift when there is a track worker out there throwing a checkered flag for you and in harms way. They do a great job keeping us safe and helping us have fun you.

Have fun and be safe and take care of those around you.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
kramard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Glad you are having fun out there - but be safe - not really cool to throw a drift when there is a track worker out there throwing a checkered flag for you and in harms way. They do a great job keeping us safe and helping us have fun you.

Have fun and be safe and take care of those around you.
That's a super good point - I was actually surprised to see him standing out of his safety zone (there's an Armco station there) - I started the drift early and once I saw him standing on the edge of the track I figured it was better to stay committed then try to stop.

I mentioned it to the marshal that in all my times at the track here I've never seen a worker leave the zone or walk up to the edge of a hot track like that. He didn't come out later in the day and if I was expecting him to be so close to the track's edge I wouldn't have thrown the slide. Thanks for the point though - no disagreement.

Separate note - I did give him a ride at the end of the day... apparently its a young guy that had something going on and he left the car in tears of happiness. Was a really cool ride and something I'll remember for awhile. Grid marshal was really grateful he got a ride.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #8
POINTBY

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Oversteer at 55? Was that on a 295 R888?
POINTBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
roost3r
@ElHefeZ28

Drives: 2015 White Z28
OP what data logger and video are you running?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
kramard

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTBY View Post
Oversteer at 55? Was that on a 295 R888?
Yea, its the R888R @ 295. I did beat my Trofeo 305 time by .4 seconds and dropped my potential by over a second but really had the car up on its toes and I'm sure pretty sure I'd be faster on the Trofeos (although I'm not as comfy on the limit of grip with that tire). I got some coaching to slide more on both corner entry and corner exit to continue to be at (or slightly over) the limit at all phases of the corner and to refine my understanding of the grip levels. After getting that coaching from a VERY fast 1LE (gen 5) driver and watching this video I decided to focus on under / oversteer on Saturday.

The 295s in the rear are susceptible to lift off / off throttle entry oversteer. This was a full drift though, once the rear rotated I just stayed in the gas and took the slide all the way around the hairpin. I initiate my drifts by getting to the limit and then progressively throttling through until I get the angle I'm looking for... I don't initiate via weight transfer, clutch kicking or abrupt throttle input or anything like that - that's all beyond me and what I'm comfortable with; I just load up the tires and give it that little extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost3r View Post
OP what data logger and video are you running?
This is just the GoPro 5 data overlay... it's not very accurate and doesn't time laps. I'm very happy with RaceChrono Pro and a Garmin GLo - I've moved on from Harry's - too much trouble with reliable GPS integration but in fairness to Harry's the Garmin Glo isn't a recommended device where as it is for RaceChrono Pro. Next season I'd like to get a VBOX sport or something similar but for a $120 setup I'm pretty happy with RaceChrono. If I get time today or tomorrow I'll redo the video above with the racechrono data overlay and export my fastest lap.