Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
Daiboru

Drives: 2011 RS
Car is entirely too loud now? (BBK LT Heads)

Hey how's it going, I drive a 2010 RS, when I first got this car I threw Injen CAI in it, straight piped the mufflers, and lowered it so it was semi-decent sounding, and had a nice new low look it.

I installed BBK Long Tube Headers today, and 4 hours later, the lower rpms have a very great growl, sound perfect, but the second i get on it, it's just plain raspy loud yelling basically(2-3500 rpm drone)

Any tips on how to get rid of this? I feel like putting back on this cars GIANT mufflers is a bit much, but I also don't know quite a cheap option to fix it either.

(Apparently I can throw a $110 magnaflow x-pipe on the car?) or should I just get some cheap, smaller mufflers.
Daiboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:29 AM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Go with the Magnaflow X pipe in place of the H pipe. That is what many of us have done to eliminate the rasp.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Daiboru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Go with the Magnaflow X pipe in place of the H pipe. That is what many of us have done to eliminate the rasp.
https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...pipe-11386.htm

Is this the X-pipe?

$110 seems fine, but any ideas where it may be cheaper?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiboru View Post
https://www.phastekperformance.com/C...pipe-11386.htm

Is this the X-pipe?

$110 seems fine, but any ideas where it may be cheaper?
thats the right one, and you might find it cheaper on ebay or amazon but its worth it at that price
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Daiboru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
thats the right one, and you might find it cheaper on ebay or amazon but its worth it at that price
I found it on Amazon and ordered it. I actually haven't tuned my car yet (and don't plan to for like a month or two unless trifecta is trying to sponsor me :'() even though I just threw LT headers on the car, am I going to have to tune the car just because of an x-pipe? I saw it was mentioned some people got a better sound, and performance out of it, but I currently just need a little less... break my neighbors windows.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
I found it on Amazon and ordered it. I actually haven't tuned my car yet (and don't plan to for like a month or two unless trifecta is trying to sponsor me :'() even though I just threw LT headers on the car, am I going to have to tune the car just because of an x-pipe? I saw it was mentioned some people got a better sound, and performance out of it, but I currently just need a little less... break my neighbors windows.

Okay. Tuning and headers. Extremely important that you get your car tuned ASAP. You will run in to many issues CEL notwithstanding if you don't. A headers car has to have a tune. The Magnaflow resonated x is purely for rasp control, tone deepening and a touch of volume control.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Daiboru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Okay. Tuning and headers. Extremely important that you get your car tuned ASAP. You will run in to many issues CEL notwithstanding if you don't. A headers car has to have a tune. The Magnaflow resonated x is purely for rasp control, tone deepening and a touch of volume control.
Ooh. Yikes. I bought the LT Headers before my mother got diagnosed with cancer so I was hoping I could save on the $500 tune.

Sigh.

Guess I will throw it on my credit card now, thanks for the advice. X-pipe will have to wait.

Last edited by Daiboru; 07-27-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
seishuku

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I've had my long tube headers on for a few weeks now... No issues here, other than cat efficiency CEL, which other than the CEL, it doesn't cause any drive issues and is prefectly safe to drive.
Now you may not get as much power out of having headers if you don't get a tune.
seishuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

If you're lucky and only get the p0420 and p0430 codes, then yes, you don't technically need a tune. If you get p2099 and p2097 then you need a tune. Either way, with headers your fuel trims are off, period. Whether or not it throws your CEL should not be the reason you tune your car post-headers install.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 08-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #10
Daiboru

Threw the resonated pipe on the car, now it’s .... super quiet. Any way to put a little sound back on it without making it back up go insane rasp levels?

Car currently has BBK LT headers, magnaflow x pipe, muffler delete, and some little baby ass 2.5 inch tips
Old 08-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
Hi-Flow cats or off-road pipes. May get too raspy though

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
I have the SLP Loudmouth II in place of the stock mufflers. I wouldn't mind it a bit louder. What should I expect from LT and hi-flows? With a convertible some exhaust options are limited. Don't want a big change, just a bit more.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I have the SLP Loudmouth II in place of the stock mufflers. I wouldn't mind it a bit louder. What should I expect from LT and hi-flows? With a convertible some exhaust options are limited. Don't want a big change, just a bit more.
If your goal is performance as well as sound, go LT's first (brand depending on your price range). See if that's good enough, if not, Hi-Flows are my preference over off-road pipes

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Threw the resonated pipe on the car, now it’s .... super quiet. Any way to put a little sound back on it without making it back up go insane rasp levels?

Car currently has BBK LT headers, magnaflow x pipe, muffler delete, and some little baby ass 2.5 inch tips

Are you sure it's not just super quiet in the cabin?

Beyond that. Do you have LT's with cats or with no cats? No cats will be louder. Going by your saying you have a muffler delete, I assume you might still have the stock resonators and the stock 2.25" piping? Those will both bring volume levels down a bit too. Full 2.5" exhaust with only the Magnaflow Res X and long tubes will be loud. That's basically how my exhaust is with the baffles open, and saying it's not loud just because it's not super loud in the cabin would be insane of me.