Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
CookieCk

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
RGBW+Switchback halos

I finished these well over a year ago, and they’ve been running great since then, but figured I’d finally get around to showing them off on here.
I couldn’t find anything that wasn’t a ridiculous price that did everything I wanted for my halos so I made my own stuff. There’s probably a better way to do it all(I won’t claim to be a pro), but I spent a bit over $100 for dual halos that switchback and all works fine how I want it to. Outer halos are RGBW, and with a simple switch flip they work just like stock(but a bit brighter). Inside halos are just RGB. And both do switchback function(go yellow with turn signals). Anyways, here’s some pics of them. Not sure good way to add a vid of the switchback function(have a few vids on iPhone but says invalid file type when try to upload). The one pic with turn signal on shows the yellow when they switchback(I’m also not a pro photographer so they def look better in person)
Attached Images

CookieCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Cool! What are you using for a controller? You can upload your video to Youtube and then share the link here.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
CookieCk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Cool! What are you using for a controller? You can upload your video to Youtube and then share the link here.
Right now just reused an rgb controller from my previous Camaro’s lights. It’s a cheap simple one, but does have a sound reactive setting that’s fun. The way I made the switchback function work was using a secondary controller(cheap one that came with the inner halo rings) left set to amber and some 14pin relays to swap between the two controllers whenever the turn signal flashes(separate relays for each side). The white on the rgbw leds for the larger halo is wired to a separate switch and power with an additional relay to cut the power to the other colors on the leds. In total have 3 switches to change functions. One switch for the white on the big halo, one switch for the controller power, and one switch for the switchback(can turn it off and have a full stock setup, just white halo no switchback). The white and controller switches are 3 way using 2 power sources, one constant power the other pulls from the original halo power. So can turn them on whenever or leave them on halo power and they function like stock(turn on whenever stock ones would have). Like I said, there’s probably a better way to do this, but this setup does everything I want it to without costing way too much, and it’s adaptable if I feel like changing it around somewhat later on. I was admittedly overly picky with how I wanted it all to function.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
CookieCk

I also put led rings in the air vents on the dash. The rings I got for the inner halos came as a set of 4 so just used those two extras. Might add more interior lighting later. But this gives me a good color indicator so I know what the halos are set on. These skip the turn signal relays so they don’t flash yellow just stay on color.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
WspoonSS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Which kit are you using?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
CookieCk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WspoonSS View Post
Which kit are you using?
Not a kit. Kit would make it more simple/easy, but also more costly.

Small halos are just a generic brand RGB ring, 80mm, with a clear diffuser ring over them(minimizes the individual led look).

Large halos are star LED chips(Cree xm-l rgbw), 12w(4 leds per chip, 3 watt per led). Soldered and wired them up myself, replaced the stock halo led so using the stock ring. Have resistors wired in between headlights and contoller for each led on each chip(so 8 resistors total).

I had considered using diode dynamics led chips(which are essentially the same thing as what I did, except they use constant current drivers instead of resistors) but at $80 for 2 leds without a controller I’d rather make my own.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #7
davesnever

Love that vent idea, I never thought of that. I have a RGB setup myself although mine is just a simple setup. I went the same route you did and bought generic halos/diffuser kits and controller online from China lol. I have no problems whatsoever and they didn't cost a fortune. It's funny cause not long ago I just added a RGB led on the top of my center console gauges to confirm my running color but I could have done the same as you as I have a pair of extras from my fog light kit I could have used. The led I did use is pretty cool tho, it's very small and unobtrusive.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
CookieCk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Love that vent idea, I never thought of that. I have a RGB setup myself although mine is just a simple setup. I went the same route you did and bought generic halos/diffuser kits and controller online from China lol. I have no problems whatsoever and they didn't cost a fortune. It's funny cause not long ago I just added a RGB led on the top of my center console gauges to confirm my running color but I could have done the same as you as I have a pair of extras from my fog light kit I could have used. The led I did use is pretty cool tho, it's very small and unobtrusive.
Yea the vents were a last min decision but I like them a lot. Originally had planned to put the second set of smaller rings in the fog/DRL lights, then decided I didn’t feel like removing and cutting open those lights right then so was going to wait til later to add them. Then while running wires for the headlight halos the idea just hit me that they’re bout the same size as the round vents, so I tried it and voila. Lol. Had planned to get another set of rings at some point and still add the fogs but haven’t got around to it yet. Your setup looks pretty good too, and the little led is a good idea as well. My previous camaro I had interior lights under the dash lighting up the floorboard so those worked as color indicator just fine. Probably do something like that on this one too but for now I’m still good with the halos and the air vents.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
CookieCk

Just to show the difference in the white on the RGBW chips, this is a stock one(left) from one of my headlights next to one of the extra rgbw leds(right), both running off a 12v battery(stock led using the stock circuit board with resistors from inside the headlight, white from the rgbw running with one of the same type of resistor I have on the car).
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
davesnever

Yeah that is quite the difference! Your RGBW's look brighter and whiter.